PDA

View Full Version : Should I jump on this?

clovishound
05-01-2014, 08:02 AM
I started loading for .223 a couple months ago. There was no rifle powder on the shelf at the time. When some 4198 showed up I bought some, tried it, and bought some more while it was available.

I have been happy with it, but have not tried anything else, other than a few loaded with some 4895 my buddy had.

Fast forward to yesterday. I was in the local gun store and they had a number of rifle powders on the shelf. I saw some of the new CFE223 on the shelf. Price was the same as other powders. I almost bought a pound. Should I go pick some up? I have a feeling that good choices in rifle powder is going to be readily available soon. I also looked up the data for this powder and saw that it is an economical powder, this is something I like.

I guess what I am looking for is whether this is a really good performing powder. If so, I may pick up a pound, even though I really don't need more rifle powder right now. Any experiences with it?

Joetinva
05-01-2014, 08:38 AM
CFE .223 is a great powder, snag it while you can.

jersurf101
05-05-2014, 08:24 PM
I have used CFE .223 in my AR with 55 gr bullets and it works well as plinking ammo.

darkker
05-05-2014, 11:02 PM
I'm burning on my 3rd 8# jug.
Fantastic powder, as are most General Dynamics powders.

6mmBR_Shooter
05-05-2014, 11:13 PM
i used cfe223 when i ran out of varget and needed something in the interim. i liked it, but not enough to want to run it exclusively.