PDA

View Full Version : Happyness soon fades what is wrong here with my Savage 243 model 10 Help please THX

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

ClassicCannons
05-02-2014, 11:37 PM
Hello You all
The powder is IMR 4831
And i agree with the Making of bullets and will be leaving that up to the pros. And i did inspect the gun prior to buying it and the bore was in good shape when i looked thru it with a light because i didn,t have a bore light.

And i had took apart the rifle and cleaned and oiled it up and and i had no issues until after i fired the reloaded factory bullets i bought.

I never shot any of those solid brass rounds i just shot blanks (thats what i told her and then 9 months later my son was born :rolleyes: ) and that was where i got the white sparks from.

Below are pictures of the powder that was given to me with the gun and reloading press. And now i know where those cylindrical things came from.

I don,t think that powder is what it says it is could be that he put some other powder in that can and i,m going to buy some new powder. And if i can ask what powder do you all recommend I,ll be using the 100 grain factory bullets and not any of those brass one and i,m going to discontinue that project because even thou they come out nice and are with in tolerance i will not use them.

I,m good at machining and making cannons and jigs but that area is new to me and i,ll leave it to the pro,s to do and that,s why no ones doing it because people use what is proven to work and since this hobby is so dangerous and many factor are involved and any errors made are fatal.

I often argue when people try to give me advice but in this area you ARE the professionals and i,m just a novice user.

So i thank you all for you advise and it is well taken

Thanks Again Austin

PS Sorrry i haven,t replied earlier but i have been trying to get airline ticks to go to Flordia because my Mom is sick and i need to go their ASAP

Picture of the powder

https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/t1.0-9/10337743_10201868676943939_5100251172671487414_n.j pg

https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1.0-9/10330397_10201868665663657_3216041771465800070_n.j pg

Maztech89
05-03-2014, 12:05 AM
You don't happen to own any black powder guns do you? What's stuck all over your gun does not look like 4831 in any way, but it does look like the FF/FFF I use in my front stuffers.

Can you please list your entire load specs? Every component, measurement, how you measured and with what etc. Even stuff you think is irrelevant, throw it out there so we can help.

That red metal can does look a lot like my red metal cans of Goexx if I were to just quickly grab...

If you have black powder around I'd bet that's it. It'd leave your filthy dirty bore, unburnt powder on patches like that and do all crazy pressure stuff.

sharpshooter
05-03-2014, 12:06 AM
That is definately NOT IMR 4831! That looks like a mixture that someone discarded into that can. Do your self and your lawn a favor by using it for fertilizer.

John56
05-03-2014, 12:06 AM
Was the seal broken on that container of powder when you got it? If it was then someone put a different powder in it and it needs to be pitched.

ClassicCannons
05-03-2014, 12:12 AM
Hello
Thanks for the advise But i never used any of those bullets and that is the reason why i came here i just thought i would show them. And i had bought regular ones that are 100 grains.From the start i had a gut feeling about them and i know that i,m new at this and i was just asking questions about them.

And i knew their was something adrift when the powder at 30 grains had filled up the casing and that was why i had originally post the white spark topic.

when i get that gut feeling i go with it and i knew better than to even try it.

But what i would like to ask is whats your thougth on Zinc plated lead bullets.

Thanks Austin

+1 That is NOT IMR 4831 in his picture.

OP,

STOP!!

Stop right now. Before you blow your gun up and kill yourself, or maim an innocent bystander.

There are several different VERY serious things going wrong here, all at the same time.

Do not shoot ANY more of those loads. Pull all your bullets, and toss those brass ones in the trash. Then buy and read very thoroughly at least one reloading manual. The Lyman or Lee manual would be my first choice. You're trying to do very advanced reloading, and frankly, your experience level isn't there yet. Not trying to insult you, but handloading really ISN'T a hobby you can fail at safely.

From your pictures, you are way, way over max pressure with those loads. OK, edit, you didn't shoot the brass bullets yet... DON'T shoot them either!

YOU'RE LUCKY TO BE ALIVE!

There's something very seriously wrong with your process in making your ammo. We'll help you, but you'll have to be descriptive and tell us all about your load, where you're data is from, what that powder you used REALLY is (it's not IMR 4831), how are you measuring your powder, what your seating depth is, etc.

ClassicCannons
05-03-2014, 12:29 AM
Hi Short Round

That powder isn,t what it says and it,s going in my Coehorn Mortar tomorrow. Also i have a digital scale and i know they are not really good for measuring but thats all i got for now i ordered a mechanical one for just reloading and i,m not going to be doing any reloading until i get the proper gear. Theirs to much at stake here. I,m lucky that nothing happened and i,m going to have the gun inspected before i use it again to be on the safe side :(

I really hope that you all believe me when i say I am safe when it come,s to this i know i may not express what i,m trying to say correctly in my post some of the time.

But i would never make nor sell anything that would be unsafe. I go way beyond being safe with my cannons such as wall to bore ratio. Because it,s my responsibility to make them that way and because gun powder is not a toy and neither is the Cannons i make and if misused not only does it effect the user but ones around them

Thanks Austin

Thanks

In one of ClassicCannons Post, he stated IMR4831, I don't have any IMR4831, to compare to picture of unburned powder. Dose the powder in the picture look right ? Austin, post picture of powder container & sample of powder. There is the possibilty the powder you have is not what you think it is.

foxx
05-03-2014, 12:40 AM
Step 1. Thank God no one was hurt.

Step 2. Get a Re-loading Manual

Step 3: Read it. Respect it. Study it. Understand ALL hand loaders use them religiously. Most own 3-4 different ones.

Step 4: Come back here often for advice and support.

short round
05-03-2014, 01:25 AM
I'm surely glad that you came to Savage Shooters and asked questions. Good luck to you and your mother.

ClassicCannons
05-03-2014, 01:40 AM
Thanks Also if any of you fly please don,t use priceline I did and regret it because after maybe an hour trying to do the tickets and then for it to say booking failure I then went to United and it was much more cheaper but when i went to pay with my bank card they said insufficient funds so i checked the online account and guess what priceline had put a hold on $500 3 times had to go to the bank and sign a form to have the funds released and i was charged $20 bucks for each one $60 total and i then received a call from the bank the next day telling me they had done it again. So i had the bank report it for fraud.

Keep in mind priceline had said booking failure I wish i never went their i guess Captain Kirk needs the money to get the Enterprise out of the pawn or he took a title loan.

I just couldn,t believe it

Thanks again Short Round

Patch700
05-03-2014, 03:36 AM
Thanks Also if any of you fly please don,t use priceline I did and regret it because after maybe an hour trying to do the tickets and then for it to say booking failure I then went to United and it was much more cheaper but when i went to pay with my bank card they said insufficient funds so i checked the online account and guess what priceline had put a hold on $500 3 times had to go to the bank and sign a form to have the funds released and i was charged $20 bucks for each one $60 total and i then received a call from the bank the next day telling me they had done it again. So i had the bank report it for fraud.

Keep in mind priceline had said booking failure I wish i never went their i guess Captain Kirk needs the money to get the Enterprise out of the pawn or he took a title loan.

I just couldn,t believe it

Thanks again Short Round

....Well the good news is that regardless of the gouging you may have encountered dealing with priceline , it didn't kill you or injure anyone.......

As stated by others , it would be in your best interest to find someone local to you who has a working knowledge of hand loading and read as many books on the matter ... The powder you have shown is not IMR 4831 and that is clear to most... Having said that , it is only safe to assume it is an unknown powder and should be discarded.

Take your rifle to a competent gunsmith and tell him exactly what happened and ask him to go over it for you , get yourself a fresh start... I would however not bother him with the story about priceline.... lol

And sorry to hear about your mothers health... Good luck with that , stay away from the loading bench if you've got a lot of other more important things on your mind.

GaryB
05-03-2014, 08:41 AM
Hey, I think we're all just glad you came out of this unharmed!
Take this as a learning experience and ask for help any time you're not sure. Lots of knowledgeable people here who are very willing to help.

Good luck
Gary

P.S. Cool bullets you made(just don't shoot them).

Jamie
05-03-2014, 11:30 AM
Now that we know what the problem was, 30 grains is still dangerously low. Never go below the minimum starting load.

emtrescue6
05-03-2014, 11:36 AM
Now that we know what the problem was, 30 grains is still dangerously low. Never go below the minimum starting load.

"30 grains is still dangerously low" That statement is as dangerous as any I have seen here, and has absolutely no basis in fact. 30g of what powder, in was case, in what chamber, with what projectile and what caliber? Any educated reloader will say "let the rifle tell you what's safe"...listen to your rifle and build each load individually for each rifle.

foxx
05-03-2014, 12:15 PM
EMT, I agree, with you, but maybe it is best to say a handloader should always stay within the guidelines of commercially published data until they are knowledgeable enough to work outside those guidelines because they have the knowledge and experience to be able to listen to what their rifle is trying to tell them. :)

emtrescue6
05-03-2014, 12:38 PM
EMT, I agree, with you, but maybe it is best to say a handloader should always stay within the guidelines of commercially published data until they are knowledgeable enough to work outside those guidelines because they have the knowledge and experience to be able to listen to what their rifle is trying to tell them. :)

Bingo...well said Foxx!

Slowpoke Slim
05-03-2014, 03:39 PM
Guys, the powder in the can was not what was on the label. That is the problem. OP is on it now, and knows to throw that unknown powder away. He got the can of powder with some reloading stuff and without knowing what IMR powder was supposed to look like, he naturally assumed it was the powder that was indicated on the label of the can. I believe that the flake powder was a fast burning pistol powder, and he is indeed lucky to be alive.

Let this be a reminder to us all to never pour leftover powder into a different labeled can or bottle. I'm sure it wasn't done with malice at the time, but the seller likely forgot all about the mystery powder in that old powder can. IMR hasn't been shipping powder in steel cans in many years (decade at least?).

To the OP, again, glad you are OK. Sorry to hear about your mother, good luck with her and that situation. When you are ready to start over with the loading, a new, fresh can of IMR 4831 would be a good start. My 243 prefers W-760, but a lot of guys are using Varget too.

Jamie
05-03-2014, 05:09 PM
"30 grains is still dangerously low" That statement is as dangerous as any I have seen here, and has absolutely no basis in fact. 30g of what powder, in was case, in what chamber, with what projectile and what caliber? Any educated reloader will say "let the rifle tell you what's safe"...listen to your rifle and build each load individually for each rifle.

EMT you would be correct EXCEPT.....it is obvious you did not read the entire thread but just decided to jump in and pick a small portion to take out of context. IF you had bothered to read the thread you will have seen what powder he thought he was using. The OP used 30 grains of what he thought to be IMR 4831 with 100 grain bullets. Starting load for that is 39.2 according to Hodgdon. So yes, loading 30 grains of 4831 is still dangerous. Now we know the powder was not 4831 but it still shows a dangerous flaw in his reloading.

If you are saying it is ok to start 25% below minimum you flat out should not offer any advice to anyone reloading.

Blitzfike
05-03-2014, 05:37 PM
Hi Short Round

That powder isn,t what it says and it,s going in my Coehorn Mortar tomorrow.

Thanks Austin

Thanks
Please don't put that in your Cohorn Mortar, I have one and they are particularly sensitive about what you feed them. Black Powder only, FFg or larger grains and definitely not smokeless powder. Putting an unknown powder mix in your mortar can turn it into a fairly large IED... Safety first brother...

wbm
05-03-2014, 09:29 PM
Please don't put that in your Cohorn Mortar

Sure hope he is listening to what you are saying! Sorta getting the "loose cannon" impression.

Ibex
05-03-2014, 10:01 PM
This is kind of like watching a train wreck. Scary.