PDA

View Full Version : Coal 30-06

Big Smitty
04-30-2014, 07:34 PM
I just put together a new 110. 24" shilen 1/10 twist heavy sporter, new Northland heavy lug and nut, rifle basis trigger, B&C medalist stock, all metal cerikoted and action bedded. It's all set up and will be shot this weekend. I head spaced with ptg go/no go gauges. After tightening the nut the rifle checks out find with the gauges.

I am not new to rifle building, but I am new to reloading. I am working on COAL using a hornady lock and load OAL gauge. Right now COAL is measuring 3.20" on the lands, bullet tip to bottom of the base using a hornady 180 grain interbond. Does this sound right? My reloading manuals show 3.28" for this type bullet.

Should I wait to look at COAL until I have fired it some? For hunting I understand I should set COAL off the lands a bit, how much?

I will be shooting factory loaded ammo this weekend. Just looking for some help as I learn reloading. Thanks!

bootsmcguire
04-30-2014, 08:20 PM
When working up a load, COAL is the last thing I use to tune.

First I find what powder charge is working the best with my bullet choice. I prefer to seat my bullets on or really near the lands and will keep that length constant until I have my best performing powder charge. Then I will work on my COAL to fine tune the accuracy. Personally I normally load most things towards the long side as I find most of my barrels prefer this. That being said, some bullets are too short to load to the lands. When that becomes the case, I just start my load development with the bullet seated at or just above the base of the case neck.