PDA

View Full Version : Shooting Sticks vs Bipod

DeclanO
04-30-2014, 11:43 AM
I've got a pair of shooting sticks but am upgrading soon. I've never shot with a mounted bipod and am wondering what everybody thinks? Are they worth it or should I keep with the sticks?

LoneWolf
04-30-2014, 12:10 PM
Depends how you shoot and how heavy of a rifle you're willing to carry. Shooting sticks may be a better option in the long run for hunting especially if you move around a lot when you hunt. However if you just target shoot or sit in one place waiting for something to move into your intended shooting lane then I bipod maybe be more suitable.

Shooting sticks also give you the capability to slide the sticks out farther or in closer if you have brush or an angled shot. I prefer a bipod as so far I've mostly been shooting off a bench or prone with an incline at ranges out to 1000yds. If I went hunting in Southern California I would probably pick a high spot looking over a valley. Maybe both is what you need to have the most options in getting a good shooting position.

ghostwriter247
04-30-2014, 03:14 PM
I'm thinking about the same thing for predator hunting. Personally I'm going to sit up against a tree and measure how high I need the bipod ad see if a large Harris will work. Ill prolly carry it and attach it when I setup.

DeclanO
04-30-2014, 03:36 PM
My only issue is I hunt many different areas and don't have the finances to set up several quality guns. I'm working on upgrading one to fit all my hunting needs! I may get a bipod for when I'm hunting the open country and take it off and switch to shooting sticks for coastal hunts!

D.ID
05-01-2014, 09:13 PM
I'll take a mounted bipod over shooting sticks any day. Harris bipods are very light.

tyler.woodard04
05-02-2014, 08:39 PM
If you sight it with the bipod on it may change point of impact when you remove it. It changes how the gum recoils. Just be sure to check both ways

chukarmandoo
05-05-2014, 10:34 AM
I have both.