PDA

View Full Version : Here we go again 2nd question

Birdhunter
04-30-2014, 08:25 AM
My next question is about the bolt. I expected the bolt to just slide free if the gun is put butt down and bolt handle lifted up. It goes and inch or so and then stops. It has several spots where it stops. It does not take much effort to get it going and no problem feeding. I just expected it to slide all the way to the rear on its own. Thanks in advance for everyones help.

Bill

pitsnipe
04-30-2014, 08:59 AM
Sounds to me like it might be rubbing ever so slightly on a couple of base mounting screws. After you have the bolt removed from the weapon. Look at the inside/top of the receiver for one or more of these screws penetrating into the receiver. Use a bright light. Or, if you can, feel with your small finger for the end of a screw through the loading/ejection port of the receiver. If this is the case. pull that screw, file down the needed amount and reinstall to torque specs.

Snipe

Birdhunter
04-30-2014, 07:50 PM
Thanks Snipe, I did check and could not find any screws penetrating the receiver. Maybey it just needs to be lapped. I will keep working on the problem. Thanks again.

Bill

Sounds to me like it might be rubbing ever so slightly on a couple of base mounting screws. After you have the bolt removed from the weapon. Look at the inside/top of the receiver for one or more of these screws penetrating into the receiver. Use a bright light. Or, if you can, feel with your small finger for the end of a screw through the loading/ejection port of the receiver. If this is the case. pull that screw, file down the needed amount and reinstall to torque specs.

Snipe

earl39
04-30-2014, 08:02 PM
it could also be rubbing on the magazine lips

Birdhunter
04-30-2014, 09:27 PM
Thank you. This has a blind mag. could it still be rubbing on those lips?

it could also be rubbing on the magazine lips

bootsmcguire
04-30-2014, 10:56 PM
Thank you. This has a blind mag. could it still be rubbing on those lips?

Yup it sure could be. IMHO it is more of a blessing than a curse. Cartridge should definitely get a positive push from the bolt.

Pop the barreled action out of the stock and see if it doesn't slide on its own. If it does then its the mag lips rubbing. If not it could be a lil garbage in the bolt raceways, either clean or clean and lap a bit in the raceways if it really bugs ya.

Birdhunter
05-01-2014, 07:59 AM
Thanks for the help. I will take it out of the stock and see what happens. Still so new to this that I am not sure what is normal and what is not. Thanks again to everyone for your help.

Bill

Yup it sure could be. IMHO it is more of a blessing than a curse. Cartridge should definitely get a positive push from the bolt.

Pop the barreled action out of the stock and see if it doesn't slide on its own. If it does then its the mag lips rubbing. If not it could be a lil garbage in the bolt raceways, either clean or clean and lap a bit in the raceways if it really bugs ya.