PDA

View Full Version : Gift of a Savage

bower4311
04-29-2014, 01:34 PM
Well, I consider myself very lucky, and that 3 college buddies and my brother pitched in to grab me a Savage 11 Trophy Hunter XP as a wedding gift. I couldn't believe it when I got it. They got me a 204 Ruger. I also have a 260 Rem in the same gun. Different scope on that one, and I have a Stockade Stock for the 260 that should be here next week. This means that I have everything covered from woodchucks to moose between the two guns. I don't think there are many better combos out there. I can go from the smallest animals to coyotes, then from coyotes to almost a moose. Hmm...I told them they made my next rifle decision much harder since the 204 was something I wanted next. Maybe my next rifle will be in the 338 class. Though, I'll wait some time until then. Very happy now with that I've got. Can't wait to get out and shoot the little guy.

I'll get pictures soon.

Those Trophy Hunter XPs are very hard to beat with an Accutrigger and a Nikon Prostaff 3-9. You can sell the Prostaff if you want to upgrade, and they'll still pull a decent amount of money with the lifetime warranty, bringing the initial rifle investment down to a very reasonable price. Of course the Prostaff will serve most very well for hunting. Only thing to be concerned with is the bolt is a little different than the normal Savage 10, it has a hollow BAS and a couple different components as well.

foxx
04-29-2014, 01:54 PM
yep.

I think, eventually, they are all going to have the hollow BAS. It's just a nicer feature... acts as a cocking indicator. The top bolt releases did not need one, but the bottom bolt relsease is hidden.

bower4311
04-29-2014, 02:23 PM
yep.

I think, eventually, they are all going to have the hollow BAS. It's just a nicer feature... acts as a cocking indicator. The top bolt releases did not need one, but the bottom bolt relsease is hidden.

So the hollow BAS isn't "worse" than the normal BAS?

foxx
04-29-2014, 03:06 PM
Not at all. Originally, all the BAS did was tie the bolt parts together. Now, with the open "hole" through it, and a longer firing pin, you can see the pin protruding thru when it is cocked. After firing, it moves forward. The new BAS functions the same as before, just lets you see what was once covered up by it.

jonbearman
04-30-2014, 12:53 AM
Gives a new meaning to a shotgun wedding.Just kidding. Congrats on your marriage and enjoy that 20 cal as they are usually hammers on a target.