PDA

View Full Version : Question on my first Savage

Birdhunter
04-29-2014, 09:33 AM
I have a bit of a mistry. I picked up a Savage model 10 308 (that is what the barrel says). When I put the serial number into Savage web site it comes up as a model 12 243 date Nov 21, 2005. The barrel is a bull 22" (measured from the front of the barrel nut). The Customer services rep. did not have a answer. The barrel nut looks perfect with no marks like the barrel had been replaced. I love the gun just trying to find our a little history. Any thoughts. This is my first post so I hope this is in the right area.

Bill

LHitchcox
04-29-2014, 12:18 PM
We Savage nuts have a hard time leaving a factory gun alone. It sounds like someone has replaced the factory barrel with either a factory or aftermarket barrel in a different caliber. I only have two Savages that still have their original factory barrels on them. A good Savage mechanic will not mar the barrel nut when changing the barrel. Enjoy the rifle and don't worry about the fact that it doesn't add up to Savage's factory records.

Birdhunter
04-29-2014, 12:52 PM
Thank you very much. I had the same thoughts. I will for sure enjoy it.

U
We Savage nuts have a hard time leaving a factory gun alone. It sounds like someone has replaced the factory barrel with either a factory or aftermarket barrel in a different caliber. I only have two Savages that still have their original factory barrels on them. A good Savage mechanic will not mar the barrel nut when changing the barrel. Enjoy the rifle and don't worry about the fact that it doesn't add up to Savage's factory records.

pitsnipe
04-29-2014, 01:16 PM
Birdhunter,

As you found out (and LHitchcox eloquently pointed out) not many Savages around with the original barrel on them. The serial number is (in this case) best used to date the receiver. As it is the "controlled" part of the weapon.

Snipe

bower4311
04-29-2014, 01:21 PM
First off, the 243 is the same case as the 308, meaning it's easy to change between calibers, since you only need the barrel swapped, the bolt can be the same. 243 is exactly the same as 308 except for a smaller diameter bullet (the case is necked down). So, it's common to swap around between the 308 parent case calibers, (243,260,7mm-08,308) since you only need to swap the barrel. One thing that I would say, which surprises me no one has said it yet, is that you should check the headspace on that rifle. I don't know much about swapping barrels, but what I do know is that you need a headspace gauge to swap them. If a homeowner swapped those barrels, then you might want to get everything double checked. If the gunshop did it, and they are a trusted shop, you should be fine.

n4ue
04-29-2014, 02:39 PM
Yep. +1 on the headspace.
I swap a lot of Savage bbls and the go, no-go guages are a good (!!) investment. Personally, unless I did the swap or trusted the person doing it, please have it checked, for safety's sake.

ron

bootsmcguire
04-29-2014, 06:27 PM
Also the Savage parts finder has been known to be wrong from time to time on older stuff. I have seen a couple flat rears shown as round rears and vice-versa, and a couple of SF's as CF's and vice-versa.

Could be just a typo on their system.

short round
04-30-2014, 03:46 AM
Birdhunter, your barrel, is most likely 24 in. Measure from muzzle to bolt face.

Birdhunter
04-30-2014, 08:01 AM
Thank you everyone! I will have it head spaced before I shoot, I have a good gun smith to go to here, so much to learn. And, short round, you are right it is a 24" I measured as you said. Again lots to learn. More questions to come. :-)