PDA

View Full Version : What scope base do you prefer on a hunting rig?

Pages : [1] 2

romad97
04-28-2014, 09:37 PM
I have a set of burris signature zee rings. I need to mount them on a hunting rig. Not sure if a 1 peice or a 2 peice would be best for this application. What do you find best for hunting rifles?

Slowpoke Slim
04-28-2014, 09:56 PM
I prefer the 2 pc dual dovetail mounts. And I like the Burris signature rings, or just Leupold rings.

foxx
04-28-2014, 10:50 PM
I think two piece bases on hunting rifles have a more traditional look and are fine for hunting if you are not looking for extreme accuracy at extreme range (better than 3" groups at 300 yards and shots not any further than that?) One advantage to single piece mount is it will allow you to mount a scope of any length.

the Ranger
04-28-2014, 11:16 PM
why have separate rings and bases at all? I say Talley lightweights.

foxx
04-28-2014, 11:25 PM

yeah, I like DNZ Game Reaper, too. But if you already have some rings...

the Ranger
04-28-2014, 11:39 PM
I like the DNZ and would probably have their mount if it were not for the logo being carved into the tops of the caps. nothing wrong with putting your name on the product, I just like a smoother look.

tufrthnails
04-29-2014, 04:48 AM
I love my DNZ game reaper mount.

GaCop
04-29-2014, 07:22 AM
I use the EGW with Millet windage adjustable rings.

03mossy
04-29-2014, 07:24 AM

I am going this route on my hunting rigs over the last couple years also.

romad97
04-29-2014, 08:22 AM
Well I thought about the dnz game reaper but, I already have a set of burris signature zee on hand. I guess I can always use the zee rings for something else later on down the road. Do you prefer the game reaper 1 piece of the 2 piece set up?

Rick_W
04-29-2014, 08:34 AM
I have one piece bases on all of my Savages - don't have to worry about scope lengths, eye relief, or any thing else when mounting a new scope.

jonbearman
04-29-2014, 09:13 AM
With the 2 piece bases it gives you more room to load and more room to eject.

04-29-2014, 09:22 AM
Although they're clunkier-looking, one-piece bases are supposedly more accurate, if I remember correctly. Not sure what the supposed reason is...

I use the Redfield / Leupold one-piece bases.

foxx
04-29-2014, 10:47 AM
All of the above. LOL ! :)

The DNZ mounts I like are the one-piece. The claim they supposedly are made true to one another. No need to lap the rings so as to be sure they don't bind the tube. They also remove the question of whether the rings are mounted to the bases with right amount of torque and whether they might loosen. Has that ever been a problem for me with 2 piece base and separate rings? NO. :) Might it in the future? Not if I use solid rings and bases. Who knows?

foxx
04-29-2014, 10:58 AM
Also, in line with what's already been said, some scopes are too short for long actions. In that case, you gotta use off-set rings if you go with 2 piece bases. I think that looks worse than what the single base looks like.

I think the best solution is to get 4-5 different hunting rifles and put a different style mount on each of them! If your wife has any questions about why that's necessary, refer her here.

emtrescue6
04-29-2014, 11:27 AM
I pretty much buy nothing but Warne 2 piece bases and Maxima rings for all of mu hunting rigs and am slowly switching all my older mounts over to Warne's when I have time and $$....I do have a couple EGW rails on tactical/target applications. That being said, I have a few rifles with Millett bases/rings that i am happy with and will stay....all the Lupy dove tail crap is finding it's way to the trash.

FW Conch
04-29-2014, 12:52 PM
I also like the Talley light weights! ;-))

tufrthnails
04-29-2014, 03:17 PM
All I can say about one piece vs two piece is my .270 went from horrible 4"+ to 1" changing absolutely nothing but the two piece weavers to the one piece DNZ. And now shooting -1" with it's preferred ammo.

cttb
05-16-2014, 09:54 PM
I also just knocked about three inches off my groups by replacing cheap two piece mounts with DNZ one piece.

yobuck
05-16-2014, 10:55 PM
Also, in line with what's already been said, some scopes are too short for long actions. In that case, you gotta use off-set rings if you go with 2 piece bases. I think that looks worse than what the single base looks like.

I think the best solution is to get 4-5 different hunting rifles and put a different style mount on each of them! If your wife has any questions about why that's necessary, refer her here.

Fact is both one and two pc bases would require an offset front ring for a shorter scope. A piccitinny type base such as the egw base would allow
for more selection on scope location especially with shorter scopes. If the Burris rings you have will work with that type base that would be my choice.