PDA

View Full Version : large shank stevens 200

placek59
03-23-2010, 08:38 AM
Hello all,
I recently came across a stevens 200 short action with a standard (.308) bolt face and was very interested due to my new addiction here. However, the person states that it is a large shank action and that all of the new ones are that way. Can anyone back this up? I always thought that only the wsm/rum actions (and a few other random ones here and there) were large shank.... I wasn't sure if the person just mis-measured or if this is true. Anyone out there have a clue?

pdog06
03-23-2010, 09:06 AM
Look on the barrel just past the barrel nut and see if the contour steps down. If it does it is large shank. If it doesnt it is small shank.

In this pic the large shank is on the right, obviously.

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t106/pdog06_photos/Shank03.jpg

placek59
03-23-2010, 09:37 AM
I got that pdog, as I have a large shank 270wsm, but since this is on-line (I should have mentioned that) and just an action with no barrel, and he states that its a large shank stevens, I was a little leary of it. I have never heard of or seen one.

82boy
03-23-2010, 11:22 AM
The Stevens line they just grab parts off of the Savage line as they assemble rifles, so sometimes it is hard to tell what your going to get from batch to batch. I would say it is possible to get a large shank Stevens but I would say that it would be very rare. The thing I see as a problem is they would have to make custom barrels for that lot. (large shank sporter contour, in a caliber like 223 or 22/250, ETC) I would not say it is impossible.

pdog06
03-23-2010, 11:40 AM
The thing I see as a problem is they would have to make custom barrels for that lot. (large shank sporter contour, in a caliber like 223 or 22/250, ETC) I would not say it is impossible.

Definately possible. Remember a couple months ago I posted pics of the large shank 7mm08 sporter barrel I have, that cam off a ss model 16? I have since traded it off, and believe it is currently on its way to Thorbirds house.

Chance are that if the guy knew enough to measure it and say it is a large shank, then it probably is.