PDA

View Full Version : Loading the 223 AI

GaryB
04-28-2014, 06:15 PM
Will I be able to use the standard 223 "Modified Case" in my Stoney Point OAL gauge for the 223 AI? The two cases are the same length but what about that "crush fit" of the standard 223 case in the AI chamber? Will that throw off my measurements?

scope eye
04-28-2014, 06:18 PM
I don't think so, since the shoulder is higher.

Dean

BillPa
04-28-2014, 09:03 PM
Will I be able to use the standard 223 "Modified Case" in my Stoney Point OAL gauge for the 223 AI? The two cases are the same length but what about that "crush fit" of the standard 223 case in the AI chamber?

If you FL a 223 case using your Improved die it will (or should) push the junction back .004". Its why one shouldn't resize the parent case using a Imp FL die for firing/forming.

Bill

GaryB
04-28-2014, 09:23 PM
I don't think so, since the shoulder is higher.

Dean

Thanks Dean
I didn't think it would work.

If you FL a 223 case using your Improved die it will (or should) push the junction back .004". Its why one shouldn't resize the parent case using a Imp FL die for firing/forming.

Bill

So, theoretically, I could full length resize the "Modified Case" in the AI FL die and be good. No?

Thanks

BillPa
04-28-2014, 10:00 PM
Thanks Dean
I didn't think it would work.

So, theoretically, I could full length resize the "Modified Case" in the AI FL die and be good. No?

Thanks

Yes. The neck-shoulder of a 223 case will be at least .004" further forward than a formed AI case if the headspace was set correctly. By FL sizing it with the AI die the junction will be "pushed" back to the AI length. The junction of the case will stop it's forward travel in the chamber instead of the shoulder which doesn't make contact in the chamber or FL die anyway
http://i44.tinypic.com/9pna50.jpg

Back the FL off then adjust it down a little at a time until the bolt just closes without forcing it. Its how I made my 250 Imp modified case before I had any formed brass, I bumped the junction of a 250 case with the improved FL die.

Remember, your only looking for the length measurement from the breach face( boltface) to the point a bullet ogive contacts the lands.

Bill