PDA

View Full Version : Identify this old 111

Blitzfike
04-27-2014, 05:43 PM
I saw a Savage 111 in 30-06 that looked like the receiver was an investment casting, with the bases cast as part of the receiver. I was looking for a donor for a build I am doing and backed away from this one due to my ignorance of its pedigree. The serial # is F449XXX and the savage parts finder says its too old for savage to service. Anyone know anything about these? are they good for barrel swaps? It is a non accutrigger model as well. Blitzfike

Mad Dog
04-27-2014, 06:16 PM
Yours was made in 1995, should be fine for a barrel swap, you were just shy of Savages cut off period for the parts finder.

sharpshooter
04-27-2014, 08:06 PM
Although the serial# suggests 1995, that is the date that it left the factory. The cast receivers were done for about 18 months back in 1988-89. It was a practice to keep on hand extra receivers for warranty work, and these extras were discovered as old stock and finally built into complete rifles before the take over in 1995. Basically the old corporation did some "house cleaning" before Coburn took over.

Blitzfike
04-28-2014, 09:44 AM
Thanks.. Good to know, I won't be afraid of using it for the build now. It was a good price, and if he didn't sell it after I left the show, I'll pick it up at his shop. Thanks for the info guys.. Jim

Blitzfike
04-29-2014, 09:26 PM
Based on the info from you guys, I bought the 111 with investment cast receiver today, it is now converted from 30-06 to a 458 win mag. I had to modify the bolt body to use the newer style head, changed to the smaller diameter firing pin and set the protrusion as well as headspace. I had to open up the barrel channel to clear the 458 barrel, but so far everything looks good. I haven't modified the magazine yet for the belted mag case, but that shouldn't be a big deal, if I have problems with it, I will use it sinlgle shotuntil I can get a replacement. Another thing I noticed is that the recoil lug is part of the receiver. I will take it to the range in the next couple of days to sight in a scope and verify that it is working correctly. Has the old 3 screw trigger and those adjust pretty well usually for me, so I expect it will perform well.