PDA

View Full Version : Savage Model 10 .308 - HELP!

Pages : 1 [2]

dalebounds
03-24-2010, 07:25 PM
Can you not re load berdan primed?
Ahhh...I see...all the Euro stuff is berdan primed (wondered what that was?)
Into the brass bucket it goes!
(I have yet to research re loading as I do not have all the equip)

I am learning more and more every day from you guys....I really can not express enough how grateful I am for all of your help.
Well at least I have ammo to practice with and get the barrel broke in...

Can someone tell me how many re loads you typically get on brass?
Surely the brass stretches after a bit, I would imagine and ....how do know if the brass hasn't been maxed out on re loading already?
Also if anyone can steer me to a trusted site for brass, that would be great.
Would this be a good deal or is anyone familiar with this site?

https://surplusammo.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=36_35&products_id=533&zenid=459986a5bd3b78216d43452f5dc701f0

OK ...got it
Winchester for the brass
CCI for the primers
Varget for the powder
Sierra for the bullets (boat tail??.. or is all of them boat tail?)....which gr should I be getting? I am sure it depends on the application.
I want to learn to shoot long range 500 yds and out.

Which gr will I need when the IRS shows up to enforce the new health care bill???.....just kidding.

Thanks again for all the help/advice!

Blue Avenger
03-24-2010, 07:28 PM
Can you not re load berdan primed?
( I have yet to research re loading as I do not have all the equip)
you can, just a lot more work. You need a special decaper with 2 pins ans have to rotate each case to line up the pins with the holes.

learjet
03-24-2010, 07:53 PM
i wouldnt buy ebay brass. just me, but i want new. i usually load 308s 5 times or so then usem for hunting, and stockpiling.

some rifles seem to shoot flat based bullets better at closer ranges. nother thing u could try is some black hills or federal match ammo, save the brass, when u get a few hundred saved up start reloading. u could try some hunting ammo, but accuracy could be an issue, just depends

some of the online places i buy components are

http://www.midwayusa.com/
http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/
http://www.grafs.com/

might be worth ur while to find someone locally who reloads, who can show u the ropes. will probably save u some money and frustration

GL!

lear

dalebounds
03-24-2010, 08:09 PM
Thanks Learjet.....
Well at least I have ammo to practice with and get the barrel broke in...

Also if anyone can steer me to a trusted site for brass, that would be great.
Would this be a good deal or is anyone familiar with this site?

https://surplusammo.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=36_35&products_id=533&zenid=459986a5bd3b78216d43452f5dc701f0

OK ...got it
Winchester for the brass
CCI for the primers
Varget for the powder
Sierra for the bullets (boat tail??.. or is all of them boat tail?)....which gr should I be getting? I am sure it depends on the application.
I want to learn to shoot long range 500 yds and out.

Which gr will I need when the IRS shows up to enforce the new health care bill???.....just kidding.

Thanks again for all the help/advice!

bootsmcguire
03-24-2010, 10:09 PM
I have to agree with Snipecatcher and learjet about the Varget Powder. I like it because it handles temperature change wonderful. I shoot my 308 at paper all summer and fall, and then take it out deer hunting in the winter. Varget lets me hit nearly the same out to 300 yards at subfreezing temps as it does in 90 degree July weather. i use the following recipes in mine....

155gr. Hornday A-Max with 45.0gr. Varget and federal Large Rifle Primers, in Winchester Brass (Target Load)

150gr. Hornady SST with 45.0gr. Varget and Federal Large Rifle Primers, in Winchester Brass (Hunting Load)

Both loads are reloaded using Lee Collet Neck Sizing Dies and Crimped Using Lee's Factory Crimp Die. The Neck Sized Cases do improve your accuracy and case life, and are nice because no lube is required using this die. With the Factory Crimp Die I just put a very light crimp on my loads. I read that you ordered Lee equipment and I must recommend The Deluxe Die set and the Factory Crimp Die (which you have to buy separately from the deluxe die set).
The SST's don't fly quite as well as the A-Max's at 300, but its not enough to matter for a hunting round.
Hope some of this helps out.

learjet
03-25-2010, 07:36 AM
id stay away from military brass, if u can find winchester commercial. the military stuff is heavier, has less powder capacity, which can make most easily found load data a bit hot. much of it was fired through machine guns w sloppy headspace which could have caused excessive stretching..then it gets resized, overworked, and weakened - once again, u really dont know what uve got - once that brass is processed in an industrial machine. also military brass can be tough to resize esp if not lubed properly once u start reloading it. ive had a few newer reloaders stick cases in sizing dies, and not be able to extract them. can be a PITA. powder valley sells 308 new winchester brass for not much more than the reprocessed military, however they are out of it in larger quantities atm. for most uses new winnie bass is decent stuff, ez to work with, and reqiures (IMHO) only to have the flash holes deburred along w the normal sizing etc to get it ready for use.

dont get me wrong, ive got 1k+ once fired military 308 brass here, but i just get tired of dealin with it. also, i shoot an M1a, and brass problems in that rifle can lead to expensive and dangerous problems, so i am a bit biased.

if u like read up at

http://www.m14tfl.com/upload/

in the reloading section, theres usually a few good discussions regarding brass, etc goin on

lear

borg
03-25-2010, 09:00 PM
Varget is on my "must buy" list. I am really happy with the group size I get with RL-19, but the groups are not in the same spot in the winter as they are in the summer. That's why RL-19 isn't as popular as the newer "extreme" powders. But I love it because my .30-06 loves it. You don't tend to forget your first sub-moa group after weeks of frustration.

borg
03-25-2010, 09:23 PM
Had a similar problem with my 10-fcp-k. Turned out to be the ammo...
Before, with PMC 147g cheapo stuff. all shots made while aiming for the bullseye at 100 yards:
After,with Hornady 168g BTHP match ammo, windy conditions, off a bipod, no sandbags. Bullseye!:
...then
and three holes touching under the same conditions:
So my advice is to try some match ammo...

Posts don't get any better than this. I had a similar experience with a Remington 788 in .22-250 about 10 years ago. That a gun can go from spitting ammo in the general direction of the target to cutting one ragged hole in the bullseye just because you ponied up for the ammo is almost beyond belief the first time around.