PDA

View Full Version : removing stuck recessed ejector...

adjc
04-26-2014, 06:57 PM
hello to all here, another newbie needing some help! my son in law brought his 110 savage .270 to me with a crammed ejector that doesn't want to budge in order to come out and be replaced. have the knowledge to repair but can't figure this one out. can anyone recommend how to get this out? there is no movement when you push on it and is below flush so no way of grabbing it with pliers. appreciate it if someone can help me here.....lost! and yes the sleeve pin has been removed.

short round
04-26-2014, 07:25 PM
Sounds like a blown primer caused the ejector spring to collapse, if someone dosen't have a better way, they can be drilled out. I have had a couple do the same thing & the distorted spring makes removal difficult.

adjc
04-26-2014, 07:34 PM
if drilling is the only option how precise does one have to be? any tolerances due to sometimes other than perfect drilling....really don't want to screw up the bolt head.

seanhagerty
04-26-2014, 08:20 PM
Soak some kroil over night, then push in and out on the ejector with a punch. Work with it a bit and you may be able to get it worked loose. If you dont have kroil use any light oil.

BillPa
04-26-2014, 08:25 PM
if drilling is the only option how precise does one have to be? any tolerances due to sometimes other than perfect drilling....really don't want to screw up the bolt head.

The last one remove that was hopelessly stuck I used the mill but a good drill press and vise will do. First I used a #1 center drilled it then used the drill bit. When the bit cut in about a 1/3 of the way the ejector grabbed, started turning and pulled right out stuck on the bit. I removed the spring using a wire bit turned in the first few coils and a pliers.

What I don't remember offhand is the size of the drill and wire bit I used.

Most times I can gut them to move by removing the bolt head then slamming it face down on a piece of oak and pulling the twisted up spring with a wire bit.

Bill

adjc
04-26-2014, 10:07 PM
thanks for the replies. got this thing soaking in kroil oil maybe it'll fly apart by morning!

stomp442
04-27-2014, 12:21 AM
Yep I have always drilled mine. Use a small bit and go slow and you will get it.

JW
04-27-2014, 07:12 AM
Take out retaining pin, if not already out
After soaking in kroil, put it in a vise bolt face up (so you can see what is happening)
Heat the bolt head with a hair dryer
Tap (lightly) on the side of the bolt head with a Small hammer repeatedly - spring might push it out
watch out for flying parts
IF not, take the bolt as earlier mention and tap/slam it face down on the table
This has worked for me a couple of times
Drilling is next option
Jack

adjc
04-27-2014, 08:49 AM
Take out retaining pin, if not already out
After soaking in kroil, put it in a vise bolt face up (so you can see what is happening)
Heat the bolt head with a hair dryer
Tap (lightly) on the side of the bolt head with a Small hammer repeatedly - spring might push it out
watch out for flying parts
IF not, take the bolt as earlier mention and tap/slam it face down on the table
This has worked for me a couple of times
Drilling is next option
Jack

well woke up this morning and still no luck, soaked it in kroil oil for over 8 hrs...frozen solid! tried all the above suggestions nothing works. would a 3/32 bit size be the one needed and is the ejector fairly soft metal? looks like no other alternative.

JW
04-27-2014, 08:56 AM
I can't remomber the drill size but if 3/32 is smaller than the hole it will work
I would drill with a bit as Billpa suggested
you want to be sure and center dot the pin and have the drill small enough in diameter to ensure you do not get into the bolt head when drilling
This would be a drill press or mill operation for me
Good luck
I hope it helps
Jack

adjc
04-27-2014, 04:29 PM
got it out, used a dremel with a 1/16" titanium bit....here's the culprit. looks good..opinions?
thx to all for the great suggestions. added another pic without the drilled out ejector in it.

http://i58.tinypic.com/2r7ncep.jpg

http://i61.tinypic.com/4f2w5.jpg

JW
04-27-2014, 09:14 PM
Good deal
Glad you got it out
Clean out the hole and a new ejector and spring and you good to go
You might ask your son in law what happened to cause the issue to begin with to avoid another stuck ejector

Jack

scope eye
04-28-2014, 01:14 AM
And what have we learned here today class, we have learned we should not play with or around hot loads, LOL

Dean

JW
04-28-2014, 09:34 AM
Dean
I would never have thought you would suggest that someone would be running a hot load. Lol