PDA

View Full Version : 22-250

Pages : 1 [2] 3

cranebird
04-27-2014, 09:45 AM
Thank you and they fit fine but I didn't want to load any until I ran it by you guys. I knew it might not apply since it isn't the same gun but what if it was still lower than the middle of the road which is where I usually start at ? I'm thinking my method might be flawed....Thanks again, Ivan

emtrescue6
04-27-2014, 09:52 AM
Thank you and they fit fine but I didn't want to load any until I ran it by you guys. I knew it might not apply since it isn't the same gun but what if it was still lower than the middle of the road which is where I usually start at ? I'm thinking my method might be flawed....Thanks again, Ivan

I typically start with the middle of the load range and work up in .2g increments until I find what I am looking for accuracy-wise....99.9% of my loads all I am looking for is accuracy, but I do have a couple loads where I want maximum velocity and accuracy.

scope eye
04-27-2014, 09:54 AM
Just load up 5 at a time with the lower powder volume, and 5 more and keep increasing the powder at what ever segments you feel comfortable with, It is not waisted you will still enjoy the shooting, only some batches will be better than others, until you find the sweet spot then you start playing with bullet seating depth.

Dean

Maztech89
04-27-2014, 02:41 PM
Heck, most of my loads I start at a grain or 2 under max and go up from there. I'm not a speed nut, but full cases of powder seem to work for me and my guns. I like to get em moving but I work for ES and SD numbers only, let the FPS land where it does and that's it. I use a lot of 4350 which is slow though. I'm not quite Dean, heck I'm far from it, but I completely understand why he does what he does and how it works.

Dean I'm trying to find somebody to make threaded primers so you can tap the primer pockets and get a few more firings outta some of your loads. Think it'd work? Love having you around for your wisdom, you seem to have knowledge about a lot of loads.

Sorry I can't help with your loads OP, I only shoot heavies in my 22-250 9" twist...

scope eye
04-27-2014, 03:50 PM
Threaded primers, Brilliant I say Brilliant,

devildogandboy
04-27-2014, 05:37 PM
I have never seen load data that was 2.5 to 3 grains over listed max for the case capacity of a .22-250. I thought you might have listed .22-250 AI data by mistake.

I can tell you from experience that scope eye knows what he is talking about, I have tried several of the loads he has mentioned in several calibers and I keep in mind that his barrels often have a slower twist. I feel comfortable using his loads in similar twist barrels and had no problems with pressure limits. all loads were safe in my guns but for all safety concerns of others and varying chambers it would be safe to work up your loads gradually!

Bruce

limige
04-27-2014, 05:55 PM
How devastating is that 40 gr load? Does it mist them?

Ive always used 55's. But after watching some vids I either need to go light or buy the varmint grenades

scope eye
04-27-2014, 06:55 PM
Thanks Bruce, I never new you had tried any of my loads, in fact I didn't thing anyone has tried any of my loads, I would never endanger anyone including myself, good to know,

and as far as those 40s go, how devastating are they and do they mist, yes they mist alright, Something to this effect,

http://splashurl.com/lddfu33

They also make my eyes misty, with pride.

cranebird
04-28-2014, 06:05 AM
Thank you for the responses. I'll be stocked up with primers after work.I can't believe something that cheap and I had to borrow some......

BillPa
04-28-2014, 10:07 AM
Dean I'm trying to find somebody to make threaded primers so you can tap the primer pockets and get a few more firings outta some of your loads.

This tool allows you to tighten up the primer pocket instead of throwing away precious match cases just because they wouldn't hold primers any longer. Each tool comes with a base, punch and instructions. LG.

http://www.rwhart.com/store/proddetail.asp?prod=dhb-f-swage-lg

Bill

scope eye
04-28-2014, 10:17 AM
Thanks Bill

Dean

Maztech89
04-28-2014, 05:50 PM
Bill I saw that at one point and thought it was pretty neat. Then I forgot where I saw it, then I forgot that I had seen it. Ugh, my old age of 24 is what I blame for the short memory.

scope eye
04-28-2014, 05:54 PM
On the same note, for those who were asking me, what rifle or caliber is being used in that entertaining ground hog video, it is a 300 WSM with a 15 twist barrel shooting 110gr Vmax's at over 4150 FPS, don't try this at home were trained professionals.

Dean

emtrescue6
04-28-2014, 06:21 PM
110g from a 300 WSM....yeeeeeeahhhhhhhhaaaaaaawwwwwww let er rip tader chip!

scope eye
04-28-2014, 06:34 PM
That's minor league stuff, now I send those same 110gr Vmax's 4500fps+ out of my RUM.

Dean

PS: I think I may need professional help.

BillPa
04-28-2014, 07:33 PM
Bill I saw that at one point and thought it was pretty neat. Then I forgot where I saw it, then I forgot that I had seen it. Ugh, my old age of 24 is what I blame for the short memory.

Geeze....24!!! Wait until your my age, you'll forget a lot of stuff. Just today I thought I'd go to the range, shoot my NEF 45-70 just because and enjoy the afternoon. Of course that was until I saw a little hole where a big hole was supposed to be. Trust me, there ain't no way to get a 45-70 round in a 22 Hornet chamber!

Bill

emtrescue6
04-28-2014, 08:48 PM
Geeze....24!!! Wait until your my age, you'll forget a lot of stuff. Just today I thought I'd go to the range, shoot my NEF 45-70 just because and enjoy the afternoon. Of course that was until I saw a little hole where a big hole was supposed to be. Trust me, there ain't no way to get a 45-70 round in a 22 Hornet chamber!

Bill

I bet Dean could find a way....persistence man! ;)

Slowpoke Slim
04-28-2014, 10:19 PM
My go to load is 40.0 grs of H-380 and a Hornady 50 gr Vmax. Pure prairie dog poison out to 500 yards if the wind is down.

stewart3
04-28-2014, 10:33 PM
my factory tube likes 38.5 cfe

cranebird
04-30-2014, 07:14 PM
Well 32.5 gr of IMR 4064 shoots very well. I've went to a 53 gr Hornady V Max bullet with that 32.5 gr of powder, probably not up to scope eye's velocity standards but it's working pretty well out of this Axis. Thanks for all of the help.

Ivan