PDA

View Full Version : Headspacing a 243 ai

Pages : 1 [2]

bootsmcguire
04-25-2014, 08:45 PM
bootsmcguire it looks like I miss spoke. Sounds like the "regular" 243 Win "go" gauge can be used as a "no go" gauge for the 243 AI. Seems someone a long time back gave me the advice if using a 243 Win gauge and using a shim, but that was totally off since the AI gauge needs to be shorter than the regular gauge. Possibly one could grind material (if equipped) off a 243 Win gauge to make a 243 AI gauge, but I figure that the #30 spent on the correct gauge is the right way to go.

Ok, gotcha. It happens. I just wanted to check it out and make sure my math was still good, and hate to see anyone take it like I did and not know and end up with excessive headspace and cause themselves potential trouble.

chukarmandoo
04-25-2014, 09:05 PM
The 243 with the 30* shoulder is called 243 improved 30* and you can read about over on 6mm AR. com. Redding makes the dies for it. The 243 SLR is not fire formed. It is still a 30* shoulder but is formed with a die that only pushes the shoulder back thus making the neck longer. I have the 260 improved 30*. I would like to try the 260 SLR through. Seems like it would save barrel life by not having to fire form not to mention the savings on components for loading.