PDA

View Full Version : Bedding - Include the barrel nut or no?

tucker301
03-22-2010, 01:46 PM
When you bed your varmint and heavier Savages, do you bed:

A: Up to but not including the nut
B: Including the nut, but no barrel
C: The nut and a x inches of barrel (x=?)

jlcpls
03-22-2010, 01:51 PM
no nut.

pdog06
03-22-2010, 02:12 PM
I tape the front and sides of the lug, the barrel nut, and a few inches of the barrel with 2 layers of painters tape.

Believe the general concensus is you only want the rear of the lug to be bedded, so by adding the tape to the rest it will give a little gap even if the bedding squishes around the front of the lug and nut.

Has worked well for me, so I guess my answer would be

D: action and rear of lug only

tucker301
03-22-2010, 02:47 PM
Yes, I've been doing the same on the lug.
I saw some pics on another board where the nut grooves were filled with clay and the nut and first little bit of the barrel were bedded as well.
I was just wondering if there was any particular advantage to doing that.

Thanks for the replies.

BillPa
03-22-2010, 04:10 PM
I float everything forward the recoil lug

. I got tired of taping-filling the nut, so I made this. Its .005" larger in diameter then the nut and first inch of the barrel. Once I have the action setting were its supposed to be I'll pull the barrel, install the "whatchamacallit" and bed the action.

http://i44.tinypic.com/2vwda8o.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/sn17k8.jpg

If for some reason I want or need to bed the barrel forward the nut I'll do it as a separate operation.

Bill

Hylander
03-22-2010, 05:28 PM

However that was before desiding to have a Switch barrel.
Now if I just had one of them fancy "whatchamacallitthat's" Bill has, I would be set.
I Wonder how an average guy like myself might go about aqiuring one of those ;)

tinkerer
03-22-2010, 05:39 PM
I bedded the nut and about an inch of barrel. After 4 hours, I removed the action and ground out the nut grooves so it is smooth. Put it all back together for the night. YGMV.

Larry
Tinkerer

EFBell
03-22-2010, 06:16 PM
Yeah, one of them whojamajiggers would be pretty handy!

BillPa
03-22-2010, 10:31 PM

Now if I just had one of them fancy "whatchamacallitthat's" Bill has, I would be set.
I Wonder how an average guy like myself might go about acquiring one of those ;)

Well, all ya need is a lathe, some bar stock, a few bits and a supply of of cuss words! I messed the first one up. Savage threads are 20 pitch, not 16 ...right? ;D

Bill