PDA

View Full Version : Vortex Viper test

TOO Builder
03-22-2010, 11:55 AM
I received a 6.5-20x44 BDC from Camera Land last week for my 20 Vartarg build. Since all the bits and pieces haven't arrived for the build I had to give it a try so i pulled the scope off my 22-250 and mounted it for a test.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/Toobuilder/IMG_3952_1.jpg
After getting it zeroed and a couple quick test groups I decided to try test the tracking. Fired #1 and #2 at the center target. Then moved 12 clicks right and fired #3 and #4. Then moved 24 clicks left and fired #5, pulled #6 of course! Then with only one round left and frozen fingers I clicked 12 back to center and fired #7. I was out of ammo and frozen so will try elevation tracking another day. I'm happy with the results so far.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/Toobuilder/IMG_3947.jpg
I tried to get a couple pics this morning of how the reticle is. This is my optics test "rock pile" located about 125 yards off my deck in my alfalfa field. First pic is set on 12x and second is on 20x. I found clarity to be very good and is very comparable to my Sightron's and 4200's.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/Toobuilder/IMG_3949_1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/Toobuilder/IMG_3951_1.jpg
Needless to say it was tough to get a good pic through the scope but this gives you a good idea for what it is like. Seems to be clear and sharp to the edge and I think the reticle will work nicely on the prairie dogs, not to cluttered.

pdog06
03-22-2010, 12:25 PM
I have to agree with you. I have a few Vipers and like them all. They do seem to track very well. Ive ran mine from 100-900 yards back and forth and it still zeroes perfect where I set it.

Dennis
03-22-2010, 06:27 PM
Builder,

Can you send a picture with the turret caps off?

I am wondering what they look like!

Thanks, Dennis

TOO Builder
03-22-2010, 08:20 PM
Dennis, here ya go. Nice solid clicks. If you want to reset to zero just pull the knob up, spring loaded, and turn.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/Toobuilder/IMG_3962_1.jpg

Dennis
03-22-2010, 08:49 PM
Looks like it's a nice scope for long range!

03-23-2010, 01:13 AM
I really like mine, 6.5-20X44mm and X50mm, but I think the mil-dot reticle is a bit thick for for my liking, what do you folks think?

dolomite_supafly
03-23-2010, 05:22 AM
I am not sure I would call that a mildot reticle. I would say it is more of a BDC reticle.

As far as how it looks, it isn't my cup of tea but if it works for the OP I say go with it. I have heard great things of the Vopers.

Dolomite

Don - LongRangeSupply
03-23-2010, 07:59 AM
Can't wait for the new reticles in the PST Vipers!

I am not buying a viper until the PST's ship. The other reticles pretty much stink in my book.

Joe O
03-23-2010, 08:16 AM
I have two Vipers ,one with the BDC and one with the Dot reticle.Both are great.Thedot is on very fine cross-hairs and .191.Ifyou like a scope that isn't busy,this is the one for you.The BDC is not as obtrusive as the catalog pictures would have you to believe.The cross hair is heavier,but looks like it will be fine on PDs at long range.Customer service is ready to please.I give them an A+.Both my scopes came in just over $400,each.Just paid double that amount,for one Lupy in he same size.
I also found the racking to be consistant,and clarity good.One scope did not have a sunshade causing me a glare problem.I only had one shade at the time,so switched it and cleared up the problem.I can't see well half the time.Main reason I bought the Lupy was the availability of silver finish,for my new SS Ruger #1 Varmit,and I have always liked the Leupold Varmit reticle from the first I laid eyes on it.

wbm
03-23-2010, 08:57 AM
Really like the stock. Who makes it? Is it an aftermarket or Savage?

EFBell
03-23-2010, 10:13 AM
I'm looking to try one out. I'm thinking 50MM though. Never was big on the 50MM's but what the heck. Might as well give one a try.

Slowpoke Slim
03-23-2010, 11:20 AM
Me too Ed,

I'm stacking my quarters up now for one. I hope to have it by the middle of next month. I want the 6.5-20x50 with the mil dot reticle to put on this 243 I'm building (with your action). ;D

I'm going to use the Warne 1 pc base and their maxima rings (probably a high ring). That's what's on my 12F, and the NF 56mm bell barely clears the bbl.

It's going in a bvss stock I bought here (for now), with a Shaw bbl I bought here (for now).

I'm trying to see how good I can get it to shoot, built "on the cheap". Then maybe I'll trade up stock and barrel to something nicer (SSS hvy bench stock and Brux bbl).

I'll post pictures when I get it put together.

It never ends...

03-23-2010, 01:54 PM
Dolomite, I was asking about the mil-dot reticle, as I own 2 6.5-20X Vipers and both have the mil-dot reticle. In shooting them I find that the cross hairs are a bit thicker than I am used to in my Leupolds. I was wondering if any one else had found this to be true, or if my eyes are getting worse. It may be time for new glasses!! :-[

Dennis
03-23-2010, 04:01 PM
I have two Vipers ,one with the BDC and one with the Dot reticle.Both are great.Thedot is on very fine cross-hairs and .191.Ifyou like a scope that isn't busy,this is the one for you.

I am looking for a scope for my 223. Will probably shoot up to 300yds! The Viper with the dot reticle looks good.

How are the turrent adjustments. Do they hold their zero?

dolomite_supafly
03-23-2010, 07:59 PM
Sorry about the confusion.

I am a HUGE fan of mildots. Up to last year I never owned one but I decided to buy one on a whim. Now I can't imagine being without them. They make range time a lot funner while I practice guessing ranges. So far I have only taken it out to 400 yards with a 223. I will probably use something with a little more of an arc to get some more practice in as the 223 is pretty flat shooting. Maybe a 22lr out to 200 or 350 would be a challenge.

I still have a few duplex scopes but they are going to get replaced as funds allow because like I said before I am a HUGE fan of mildots now.

Dolomtie

TOO Builder
03-23-2010, 10:22 PM
wbm, the stock is a Richards Microfit. I think they call it a straight line thumbhole. It started as a black/grey laminate. I shot it that way a few years but was never really a big fan of the black/grey so I redid it with some red maple dye and tung oil.

Dennis, the turrets seem to have a nice positive click. I have only 18 rounds fired with the scope but tracking was very good. Others with more rounds under one will have to attest to holding zero or not.

cstilt
04-07-2010, 05:13 PM
I found clarity to be very good and is very comparable to my Sightron's and 4200's.

I'm considering a Vortex, Bushnell or a Sightron SII (not the big sky) for my rifle. If you could only pick one of them, which would you go with and why?

Thanks,
Chris

pdog06
04-07-2010, 08:09 PM
I got rid of my Bushnell 4200's and replaced them with one SIII 8-32 and three Viper 6.5-20x50s. For the price you cannot beat them IMO.

Matter of fact, I have three of them in my safe right now that are still in the boxes, but one of them is EFBells...

I have to say that the 2 Vipers I picked up today both have the wide duplex reticle, and it is a very nice and clean reticle. Almost like it better than my dot reticles. I actually may end up liking it better once I get to use it. I didnt really care for the mildot or the bdc reticles for my use, as I dial in my elevation anyway.

A couple threads down from this one you can see another test that i did last week on one of mine. I did a box test at 100yds, shooting one in the center, then one at a time to the four corners. Did that same rotation like a round robin 3x, then shot the last 2 bullets right in the bull. And ended up with a really nice .421" 5 shot group in the bullseye too.

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,31759.0.html

cstilt
04-07-2010, 10:04 PM
Those are some impressive groups you shot during that test. I don't think I've ever shot a 0.4" for 5 shots before. 0.6" is my current best and that's without touching the turrets.

I wish I could find a place that had both of those scopes in stock so I could see one in person. I hate buying things like that blind.