PDA

View Full Version : New owner of a Savage Model 10 243 help me decide on the right stock

ClassicCannons
04-23-2014, 08:25 PM
Hi You all
Just bought a nice Savage model 10 243 for $280 bucks and i,d like to change the stock to a ATI one like the one pictured below i had a ruger model 77 .223 which i sold it was a nice stainless steel one but got bored with it'

I had also got a loading press and a lb of IMR 4831 powder and reloading die,s with it also for that price. and a Bushnell scope.

I,d like to get a Long range scope for it as well i ordered a bi-pod today and a laser 243 bore site i had shot it a few times because i only got 20 rounds and i need to get some bullets but i may make some solid copper ones on my cnc lathe instead.

Please let me know what stock fits it i really want a pistol grip collapse one like the one shown below but i can,t find any also can i change the barrel to a .308 also or a 22.250 or a 30.06 with out changing the bolt or do i need to buy them also and if so where can you recommended to buy them

Also can i use a magnetize for this model or just the 110

Sorry about all the were to also check out my cannon i made she is 2.5 dia by 17" with a .750 bore thanks Austin

PS email me any hints OK

https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/t1.0-9/p526x296/1558552_10201797218877532_3181862780292799804_n.jp ghttp://www.atigunstocks.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/295x148/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/5/9/599-4069-large.jpg

https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1.0-9/10154138_10201816149030774_5881232337182361550_n.j pghttps://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1.0-9/p526x296/10255002_10201816149230779_3716734353393759849_n.j pg

ClassicCannons
04-24-2014, 01:06 AM
I guess i should forget about this build uH thanks

limige
04-24-2014, 02:35 AM
"Also can i use a magnetize for this model or just the 110"
didn't follow that.....

heck the savage facts what fits thread for bolthead interchange info. I believe 243 is .473 same as 308 6.5 creedmoor and 270. Off the top of my head.

Checkout stockys.com I've seen those stocks around but the older guns use a staggered design and most of the aftermarket stuff is for centerfeed.

Like to find a sniper scope is badly phrased. There are many high end scopes out there. Talk like that tends to rub people wrong.

Do some digging. Tons of info here.

Lots more info on snipershide.com as well.

"

limige
04-24-2014, 02:58 AM
Oops. Do a google for chassis in a savage action. You may like some of those.

http://shop.mcreesprecision.net/G5-TMAG-Model-1-Standard-Fixed-Rifle-Stock-2-STD-FIX.htm

ClassicCannons
04-24-2014, 10:44 PM
Hello what i mean is can i use a external magazine with this model 10 also i edited that word i had seen some nice scopes and they were called XXXXXXX scopes i didn,t mean any negative about it i mainly play with Cannons :-)

Thanks for the help i just want some extra barrel to exchange when i feel like a new gun :-)

"Also can i use a magnetize for this model or just the 110"
didn't follow that.....

heck the savage facts what fits thread for bolthead interchange info. I believe 243 is .473 same as 308 6.5 creedmoor and 270. Off the top of my head.

Checkout stockys.com I've seen those stocks around but the older guns use a staggered design and most of the aftermarket stuff is for centerfeed.

Like to find a sniper scope is badly phrased. There are many high end scopes out there. Talk like that tends to rub people wrong.

Do some digging. Tons of info here.

Lots more info on snipershide.com as well.

"

ClassicCannons
04-24-2014, 10:48 PM
Hi again thanks for the advise i,d like to have 1 of each barrel for target shooting Shaw has some nice barrels and reasonably price

Oops. Do a google for chassis in a savage action. You may like some of those.

http://shop.mcreesprecision.net/G5-TMAG-Model-1-Standard-Fixed-Rifle-Stock-2-STD-FIX.htm

limige
04-25-2014, 04:13 AM
If the action is flat on the back where the rear base is then its an older stagger feed model. Savage switched to Center feed to accept box mags.

Honestly I would sell that one and find a nice center feed SS action to do your build. You already have other calibers in mind as well as a different stock. CDI makes bottom metal for the savage action to accept AI box mags like stock you have pictured above.

I believe you can modify a staggered feed and convert to center feed box mag but I'm not sure. If you want to explore that option start a new thread asked if it can be converted.

Im guessing your talking the super sniper scopes. Dont know much about the.
swfa makes a great scope as does vortex and luepold. I highly recommend the vortex HS-T scopes from midway or a nice PST.

jonbearman
04-25-2014, 07:50 AM
If you want a good long range scope that is affordable try the sightron SIII 8-32x56mm and dont get the one with the mil dots as they are way too big.Get the moa reticle.If you have a staggerfeed then go to stockys and look at the bobby hart target varmint stock. Trigger wise the rifle basix sav-2 is my favorite for now.The mcree stocks are nice and expensive.Do you really need a folding stock? Then get the action bedded .The shaw barrels are better than an original barrel but I would seriously consisder a criterion.You are willing to spend the bucks on an expensive mcree but you seem interested in a run of the mill barrel which is not a good idea for long range shooting.You need a barrel that is as accurate as you can get in my book.Good luck with your build and call northlander for the tools you will need to do it correctly.

ClassicCannons
04-25-2014, 10:28 PM
Hi
I think i may machine a stock from a block of walnut i got with a pistol grim and sort of a triangle fore stock so it would be something to grab the walnut is 3" thick by 5 feet by 16 " it got to weigh around 100 lbs. And have a thumb hole by the pistol grip.Almost like this one but not so skinny before the pistol grip And i'll have a semi flat concave cheek rest I think it would look neat i could rough cut it and use a disc sander for the contours. It has a really nice grain and i'll taper the base of the pistol grip too. I have a lot of ball end mills for the radius on the inside so thats not a issue to do the inside neatly
https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1.0-9/10154138_10201816149030774_5881232337182361550_n.j pg
And as far as the scope it would be great to buy that one but it,s close to $800 bucks it would be like putting a my car is a gas saver model and its a 91 land cruiser. Liek the other guy said i should buy a better gun but this one was a good deal at $280 with all the other stuff he has a mold for it somewhere. But with the lee press and dies powder i,ll not complain

Thanks again Austin

If you want a good long range scope that is affordable try the sightron SIII 8-32x56mm and dont get the one with the mil dots as they are way too big.Get the moa reticle.If you have a staggerfeed then go to stockys and look at the bobby hart target varmint stock. Trigger wise the rifle basix sav-2 is my favorite for now.The mcree stocks are nice and expensive.Do you really need a folding stock? Then get the action bedded .The shaw barrels are better than an original barrel but I would seriously consisder a criterion.You are willing to spend the bucks on an expensive mcree but you seem interested in a run of the mill barrel which is not a good idea for long range shooting.You need a barrel that is as accurate as you can get in my book.Good luck with your build and call northlander for the tools you will need to do it correctly.

ClassicCannons
04-25-2014, 10:30 PM
Ya it,s the stagger model and it seems like the sleeve is pressed fit in their I was just wondering about the mag

If the action is flat on the back where the rear base is then its an older stagger feed model. Savage switched to Center feed to accept box mags.

Honestly I would sell that one and find a nice center feed SS action to do your build. You already have other calibers in mind as well as a different stock. CDI makes bottom metal for the savage action to accept AI box mags like stock you have pictured above.

I believe you can modify a staggered feed and convert to center feed box mag but I'm not sure. If you want to explore that option start a new thread asked if it can be converted.

Im guessing your talking the super sniper scopes. Dont know much about the.
swfa makes a great scope as does vortex and luepold. I highly recommend the vortex HS-T scopes from midway or a nice PST.

limige
04-26-2014, 02:21 AM
All the detachable mags feed with the bullet centered in the mag well.
a staggered feed model with the internal mag has a different feed ramp machined in. Thats the issue that has to be dealt with.