PDA

View Full Version : Heavy bolt lift???

wisconsinteacher
04-22-2014, 10:23 PM
Hello,

I have a new short action Savage that I has a new 6BR barrel on it and I am getting some major bolt lift after the rifle has been fired. It happens while firing live ammo and when dry firing. It is so heavy that I have to take my head off the stock and it moves the entire rifle to run the action. I know there are some kits out there. What one is the best and what else can I do to fix this issue. The rifle's bolt does not have the bolt sleeve like the older model guns, it has the spring that holds the cam pin in place.

limige
04-23-2014, 01:18 AM
I just depth with an older one that had major tooling marks on the cam cut into the bolt sleeve where that pin rubs as it rides up to be cocked. Had to stone it down and polish it up. Now its a world better.

jonbearman
04-23-2014, 10:21 AM
Nat lambeth gave you the best answer as his kit is well worth the money invested.I did mine with a stockade stocks lift kit and shortened the bolt screw .128 thou and bolt lift is acceptable and smooth.Polishing the cocking ramp is also advisable.Dont remove alot of metal just polish it.

drybean
04-23-2014, 11:19 AM
I believe he has the new style bolt

wisconsinteacher
04-23-2014, 12:42 PM
I have a new bolt that does not have the internal sleeve. The cam pin is held in by a spring that slides into a grove on the firing pin.

Patch700
04-23-2014, 01:19 PM
How is the bolt lift with new unfired brass.... And secondly are you full length sizing? Neck sizing? Neck sizing and bumping the shoulder?

Try this..

Strip the bolt along with the primary extraction ramp and chamber a new unfired piece of brass that is known to be of less than trim to length , will the bolt handle fall down to battery position on it's own or does it still require a bit of push to lower the bolt? If it easily falls down into battery then you can start to deduce that it is not a too tight of a chamber issue off the bat.

When you say that it happens both with live rounds and dry firing , do you mean you are taking cases that have been fired in that chamber and then re-chambering them afterwards and they are sticky to extract? Also with regards to the live ammo , is it new un-fired brass or has it been re-sized.... You may have to dial in your sizing dies a little more with respect to body sizing or bumping shoulders or both.

wisconsinteacher
04-23-2014, 01:33 PM
I have tried running the brass with the guts out of the bolt and it cycles just fine. The issue occurs when the trigger is pulled and the bolt is cycled to recock the rilfe. This happens when dry firing or shooting life ammo that has been once fired or new un-fired.

Patch700
04-23-2014, 01:45 PM
Get a hold of Nate Lambeth or Sharpshooter on here , this is the primary reason many shooters who need the rifle to track properly migrate away from the savage action... Not the end of the world as it can be dealt with as mentioned earlier.. If the action is out of time it causes issues such as you've mentioned .

Good luck.