PDA

View Full Version : .223 VLP - What Next?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

MikeCTX
10-04-2009, 11:50 PM
Thanks guys...

Yes on the flash-hole deburring ;) and the VLD neck chamfer tool - used both on the last set that was much more consistant and brass prep this weekend. Brass seems much easier if done in small groups of 25-50 ;D

Was trying to decide if I should invest in a Sinclair rest or the coax one from Shadetree - about the same $, but .... in these economic times, trying to cut down the spending unless I feel certain it will be a benefit - yeah, I know need those toys but have to consider spending the play $'s as smart as possible. Will say that the Sinclair is what I used when shooting the nice little group from the TAC20, but then the stock was also one of the SSS LRBR stock which helped ride the bags better than the VLP stock. Did remove the swivel studs from the VLP since it seemed like the front one was catching - felt like it made a difference, but could just be I thought it did.

MikeCTX
10-05-2009, 08:14 AM
...I always have to reset everything after the shot...I'm a rear bag squeezer as they call it...Now if you had 1 of those nice slick sixths stocks with a coan front rest..You could just push it forward & joystick it back on target... ;)...Resetting your rig is the next thing in repetition...

Re-read this again this morning, 1shot...this makes more sense than buying another rest - at this point anyhow. The Rock should be just fine for now - besides, there are bullets, brass and powder to buy that will help more right now.

Thanks,

1Shot
10-05-2009, 10:34 AM
...1 thing to consider on your front bag...Don't over fill it another words don't make it too hard...I have a Caldwell BR rest...I just don't like dragging it around in my shooting bag that much...lol..Those sharp studs play havoc on the inside of the bag...You'll get there... ;)..You're closing in on it...

peterf225
10-05-2009, 10:54 AM
I have a savage 12 VLP 223 7 twist also. Couldn't get it to shoot the 69gr SMK that great but it loves the Nosler 80gr Custom comp bullets over 24.4gr of Varget. I am using winchester brass. It is shooting in the .25-.35" range.

MikeCTX
10-05-2009, 11:20 PM
...1 thing to consider on your front bag...Don't over fill it another words don't make it too hard...I have a Caldwell BR rest...I just don't like dragging it around in my shooting bag that much...lol..Those sharp studs play havoc on the inside of the bag...You'll get there... ;)..You're closing in on it...

Thanks 1shot, will check the front bag...yeah know what you mean about dragging the rest around lol, have to make sure those pointed feet are up before I put it in the range bag or else :o

between the rest and the rear rest (with that 'heavy' sand) the range bag is getting a bit on the heavy side...but would not trade a day hauling to the range for a day at work yet ;D

diriel
10-06-2009, 12:17 AM
MikeCTX,

--1) Seating depth: First you do a "Ladder test" to roughly determine Your Best Powder Charge on Target. Once you select one, you then shoot initial groups of 3 from 20 thousandths off the lands. You make 5 thousandths adjustments until you are 5 thousandths into the lands. Do this preferably all in one days shooting in a 2nd "ladder test". You will for sure SEE a vivid story on your big sheet of paper. If you have any luck at all, congrats! If not you will for sure see at least 1 or 2 loadings that look very promising, but most likely only 1 will jump out and grab your attention. If you need a third go-round: 3 shot groups again this time in 1 thousandths increments. This time you really Should SEE Something.
--2) Bullet: Another bullet to perhaps seriously consider is the 75gr Hornady A-Max http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=1165447990 This bullet tends to shoot quite well both up close and out far. It also is not all that terribly fussy about seating depth, i would load up 3 @ 5 thousandths off the lands and try them. Varget is usually a good choice with this bullet, and the Rem primers work nice usually as well.

Good Shooting,
Gary

SuperCub
10-06-2009, 03:27 PM
Tagged for interest.

1Shot
10-06-2009, 07:49 PM
MikeCTX,

--1) Seating depth: First you do a "Ladder test" to roughly determine Your Best Powder Charge on Target. Once you select one, you then shoot initial groups of 3 from 20 thousandths off the lands. You make 5 thousandths adjustments until you are 5 thousandths into the lands. Do this preferably all in one days shooting in a 2nd "ladder test". You will for sure SEE a vivid story on your big sheet of paper. If you have any luck at all, congrats! If not you will for sure see at least 1 or 2 loadings that look very promising, but most likely only 1 will jump out and grab your attention. If you need a third go-round: 3 shot groups again this time in 1 thousandths increments. This time you really Should SEE Something.

...Lol..Never did a ladder test since I've been shooting...A waste of time & money...IMO..Once I have a tuned load it stays there...If it shoot's bug holes 1 day & .3 -.5 the next month why worry about..???..I'm smart enough to know that the conditions have changed...Loads still good under the right conditions so why go chasing it...It'll still kill anything I'm aiming at...I do my load work in the conditions...(...temp...)... I'm going to be useing the gun in most of the time...That leaves the tail chasing to the guy's at the range...

diriel
10-06-2009, 09:49 PM
@ 1shot,

;D It is nice to hear you have never had a "problem child" gun to dial in!! ;D More often than not I too can dial in very quickly and get those nice bughole groups. But once in a while a gun comes around that is just a Pain In The ASS ! My instruction's listed above are for when you wish to Avoid Chasing Your Tail 8) Once you have found your load, load up a 500 or so of them and go out and practice and / or have Fun. Some days "Your Favorite Load" will print bug holes and other days it may not, depending on ambient conditions. Like 1shot said, learn your load and Hit what you are Aiming at. First thing though is to get to that favorite load.

Have a good one,
Gary

1Shot
10-06-2009, 10:56 PM
@ 1shot,

;D It is nice to hear you have never had a "problem child" gun to dial in!! ;D More often than not I too can dial in very quickly and get those nice bughole groups. But once in a while a gun comes around that is just a Pain In The @$$ !

...I did have a MAJOR pain in my.._ _ _...It was called a Stevens 200 in .223...I almost made a belt tightner out of the bbl. Last time I bought a Stevens...I finally made it shoot, then it found a new home... ;D

MikeCTX
10-10-2009, 04:58 PM
New targets - from today Oct 10

Bumped to 25.2 gr Varget 1st one shows need for more range time - lol the flyer that is

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_5mQjiruUDT0/StDyaIIg_dI/AAAAAAAAAl4/fHcJhB1JYqY/s512/69SMK1010200901.jpg

This one I liked much better...just have to get more 'em like this (or better) before i'm done ;)

still - .281 put a small on my face - 1shot, I think we are getting much closer - lol

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_5mQjiruUDT0/StDyy9gRl4I/AAAAAAAAAmE/1tuR23ps3YI/s512/69SMK1010200902.jpg

stevec
10-10-2009, 07:39 PM
Looks good Mike! I beleive you are definatly getting there! congrats!

You should be ready for Denton next month!

Steve

1Shot
10-10-2009, 11:53 PM
Looks good Mike! I beleive you are definatly getting there! congrats!

You should be ready for Denton next month!

Steve

...He'll be ready... ;)...I just have to get him to burn more powder... ;D..

stevec
10-11-2009, 12:03 AM
There is very little in this world that more powder wont fix!.........

Steve

MikeCTX
10-11-2009, 12:22 AM
lol - Thanks guys ;D

Now this IS a great way to spend a weekend..more powder coming up! Good thing I have a few more 69's and some Varget (might have to invest in more)

Just for fun went back to compare the first target with the 69gr SMK to compare to today's

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_5mQjiruUDT0/SnyF5qcQ02I/AAAAAAAAAj0/hQTb_-lGRRU/s512/69SMK8709-Rem.jpg

And Today's
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_5mQjiruUDT0/StDyy9gRl4I/AAAAAAAAAmE/1tuR23ps3YI/s512/69SMK1010200902.jpg

outlawkyote
10-11-2009, 12:29 AM
Try some reloder 15, it shot much better that varget in my rifle

diriel
10-11-2009, 11:34 PM
http://www.whiteoakprecision.com/info-reloading.htm

Take a peek at the info in the link above.

Gary

MikeCTX
10-30-2009, 08:03 PM
Been a while and thought it would be nice to keep these together. 1shot has been most helpfull in the thread and off.

Anyhow, managed to find time mid-morning when the rains stopped (lots of rain here this Oct) and made it out to the range. Target below is one of the best from today (and overall) other than the flyer from the guys behind the trigger. Looking pretty close, I just need more trigger time... :D

should have mentioned this is a 5 shot group - lol

whoops...guess a little info might be need - dang head cold

25.4gr of Varget and seated +.015 off the lands

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_5mQjiruUDT0/Sut9f5KpXuI/AAAAAAAAAmg/RYChPM88lVQ/s512/69SMK103009..jpg

1Shot
10-30-2009, 10:15 PM
...I'ld say you're in the ball park now...Trigger time will close it up...You've come along pretty fast Grasshopper..lol.. ;)...

stevec
10-30-2009, 10:33 PM
looks good Mike!

Steve