PDA

View Full Version : .223 VLP - What Next?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

MikeCTX
09-20-2009, 09:30 PM
Thanks ThorBird..it made my day when I did that. He saved the target for me since I left before he was finished. Not like one of 1shot's best, but it worked for me. ;D

dcloco, good point about dialing the magnification down, when I first got the scope had it at 32, then backed it down to 24 - will have to dial it down to 18-20 at least and give it a go.

Thanks for all the input guys, it does help ... not to mention it leaves the little voices in my head while shooting. :)

1Shot
09-20-2009, 11:19 PM
... the light bulb came on today... it started to feel like it was coming together, not there yet but getting there. Yeah 1shot, grasshopper needs more practice ;D - and darn that means more trips to the range ::) But hey if it was easy everyone could do it (oh wait, lots of folks DO get it right). Just means I have to slow down, run through the mental check-list, set the rifle up in the bags the same each time, hold the rifle the same each time, etc.

Thanks for the input and will keep this thread updated as to progress..

Oh and this is the reason I feel like I can get the groups better (a friend from the ranges rifle - .20 Tactical, Savage Target RBLP, 27in Pac-Nor 1:11 barrel, his fire forming loads - 39gr SBK).

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_5mQjiruUDT0/Sra0LZ_l_PI/AAAAAAAAAlc/Bgp4nq7sfzA/s512/20TAC.jpg

...Look's like he has that 20 tac dialed....Just remember how you shot that 1 & apply it to yours...Granted that 1-7 is not your normal 100yd. gun..But it can be done...A 1-14 would be more inline if you just wanted to punch holes..lol..I'ld say you made the club... ;)...Now just do it with yours...It's capable....Have fun...

dcloco
09-20-2009, 11:36 PM
...Look's like he has that 20 tac dialed....Just remember how you shot that 1 & apply it to yours...Granted that 1-7 is not your normal 100yd. gun..But it can be done...A 1-14 would be more inline if you just wanted to punch holes..lol..I'ld say you made the club... ;)...Now just do it with yours...It's capable....Have fun...

Agree with 1 shot on this as well. This concept is going AGAINST most of the grain in the shooting world, had I not experienced this myself, I would not have agreed with it either.

My 22/6mm AI with 1:8 twist barrel, running 75 gr AMax's at 3700 - 3950 fps, does NOT group well at 100 yards. At 300 yards, with the same load/etc, is a 1/2" grouper.

So, there may be something in how much time/speed needs to happen before a bullet is stable.

Shoot 200 yards on your next outing....and try the different targets or a scope level.

outlawkyote
09-21-2009, 12:28 AM
Something else. 69gr bullets wont shoot good groups at 100 yds all the time, try some groups at 300 yds after the bullet has settled down
If your groups are still 1" at 300yds, you are shooting a good load. When Im shooting heavy bullets, 3/4" groups are common at 100 yds but, the same load has been known to still shoot 3/4" groups at 300yds.

I guess Im not the only one that thinks longer rang will help accuracy?

BrentWin
09-21-2009, 08:21 AM
We sometimes get so hung up on the perfect group to the point where no group in good enough. I sometimes have to remind myself that the worst group that I shot on a given day, 95% of the guys out there would take to work to show thier buddies.

Just be sure to keep it fun.

MikeCTX
09-21-2009, 08:25 AM
well live and learn...Guys that is a BIG help knowing that the 7 twist makes a difference at 100.

Do not have a place to reach out more than 100yd at this time. Bought the 7 twist thinking I could use the 77-80gr but I am thinking you guys will tell me that they still will do better at 200 and beyond. Guess later on will need to pick up a 14 twist barrel for the short range.

Of course, I will keep trying to get the groups as tight as possible with what I have now (if nothing else cut down the number of flyers and improve gun handling) so that when I add a 14 twist it will shoot like...you guys!!

MikeCTX
09-21-2009, 08:34 AM
We sometimes get so hung up on the perfect group to the point where no group in good enough. I sometimes have to remind myself that the worst group that I shot on a given day, 95% of the guys out there would take to work to show thier buddies.

Just be sure to keep it fun.

Very true, and good reminder...hung up on getting the groups nice and tight - yes, having fun? You bet I am,if it was not fun, well you know.

dcloco
09-21-2009, 04:21 PM
well live and learn...Guys that is a BIG help knowing that the 7 twist makes a difference at 100.

Do not have a place to reach out more than 100yd at this time. Bought the 7 twist thinking I could use the 77-80gr but I am thinking you guys will tell me that they still will do better at 200 and beyond. Guess later on will need to pick up a 14 twist barrel for the short range.

Of course, I will keep trying to get the groups as tight as possible with what I have now (if nothing else cut down the number of flyers and improve gun handling) so that when I add a 14 twist it will shoot like...you guys!!

LOL! We don't always shoot good groups either. If this was easy, EVERYBODY would be doing it.

14 twist....you will be using 50 gr and lighter bullets, this twist will not stabilize anything above that weight.

MikeCTX
09-21-2009, 06:55 PM
Yeah, will most likely keep the slower twist for the 20 Tac that i'm gonna build and the .223 could be for longer range if I can ever find one close by.

Hey outlaw...you are correct about the long range, it is just hard to consider since all I have done is 100yd. Seeing the ragged 1 hole at 100yd is what I am chasing, but to transfer that to 200-300 yd and know that a 3/4 in group is equal to or better is hard to get my head around, at least until I try it. Had considered that the 7 twist was better for longer range, but for some reason was thinking I COULD get the same little one hole shots from it.

To be honest, yesterday was a very good day - may not have gotten the one hole, but with what I learned and to get as close to what I was after it made for a good day...not a great day, but good. Plus it was fun!!

1Shot
09-21-2009, 07:00 PM
...My little .221Al Fireball 14 tw shilen will shoot 55's with no problem, but it really likes the 52grainer better.. ;D..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v692/sqek/GG.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v692/sqek/gm3.jpg

hershey
09-21-2009, 08:34 PM
i started neck turning and realized that most of my brass was thick/thin by a bunch, haven't applied it to paper at the range yet, but i can feel a much more consistant tension when seating the bullets, the handle pull tension is allot more consistant now.

MikeCTX
09-21-2009, 09:29 PM
...My little .221Al Fireball 14 tw shilen will shoot 55's with no problem, but it really likes the 52grainer better.. ;D..
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v692/sqek/gm3.jpg

Nice lookin rifle - SSS LRBR stock? Can't tell about the action - maybe a Savage Target LBRP or maybe Model 12? Scope? Got me there.

Either way, must be fun to take out to range or PD town.

1Shot
09-22-2009, 09:39 AM
Nice lookin rifle - SSS LRBR stock? Can't tell about the action - maybe a Savage Target LBRP or maybe Model 12? Scope? Got me there.

Either way, must be fun to take out to range or PD town.

...SSS..LRBR stock..Savage Target action RBRP...Weaver T-36 scope....Shilen was a used bbl. I picked up off the net...Rechambered, crowned & set up for the Savage Action... ;)...

MikeCTX
09-22-2009, 01:06 PM
Thanks, consider that to be my ultimate build - same stock, action, scope and barrel. Figure it would make a nice 6br or maybe a 6-6.5x47 Lapua.

1Shot
09-22-2009, 08:14 PM
...I like my Broughton bbl'd VLP 6br myself...68gr. customs is the cat's meow in mine... :o...

...3/100...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v692/sqek/br-1.jpg

MikeCTX
10-04-2009, 11:02 PM
Wasn't able to make to the range this weekend (rain!!) but last weekend I did, with Varget loads at 25.1gr. Worked as much on gun handling as anything, and while on 'small' one holes, did manage to get the most consisent outing I have had until then - 6 out of 10 5 shot groups were .5+/- with 2 that were .8's and 2 that were 1inch. Past outings were not that consisent, so felt good about that.

So, I notice that in many of the photos you guys post - like 1shot and others you guys are not using one of the higher end front rest - anything from a Caldwell Rock (which is what I have) to the one 1shot says someone is going to throw away - lol ;D That said, much of the time I feel like I am fighting the bags to get the rifle to return back on target. Sometimes it takes little effort to place it back (almost where it was before the shot) other times after getting the rifle set in the bags it is nowhere near being on the target - so one is that normal? and two...any hints you guys could share on keeping the rifle on target always appreciated.

What I have found is more range time and more focus on what it is I am doing seems to make for smaller groups. Not ready to say there yet, feel like I can do better - know the rifle is already doing better than the shooter. figure should be able to get consistent groups between .5's and .2's if I do my part.

outlawkyote
10-04-2009, 11:17 PM
have you de-bured your flasholes yet?

1Shot
10-04-2009, 11:22 PM
...I always have to reset everything after the shot...I'm a rear bag squeezer as they call it...Now if you had 1 of those nice slick sixths stocks with a coan front rest..You could just push it forward & joystick it back on target... ;)...Resetting your rig is the next thing in repetition...

outlawkyote
10-04-2009, 11:30 PM
Yep, Im a bag squeezer too...LOL
Neck turning seems to have helped your groups and gotten you more consistant.

1Shot
10-04-2009, 11:37 PM
have you de-bured your flasholes yet?

...I'ld also invest in a VLD neck chamfer tool if you don't have 1...