PDA

View Full Version : I need a new Recoil Pad!

olddav
04-22-2014, 06:46 PM
Went out to shoot my 110 chambered in 338-06 today among other guns and I believe that I have found my hunting load. In addition to finding a hunting load I discovered I need a better recoil pad. After the first six rounds my shoulder started to get just a little sore, after the next three rounds (9 total) the recoil became painful. The final three shot made my right hand tingle, and that can't be good. So now I will spend the money to equip my rifle with a quality recoil pad to save my 54 year old shoulder.
I'm thinking of a "Limbsaver", but I'm wide open to suggestions.

LHitchcox
04-22-2014, 07:09 PM
Limbsavers are real shoulder savers, but unless they have changed recently they will get tacky over time. When I pick up my turkey gun from almost a year's time in the safe, the pad sticks to the carpet and will pull away with a few carpet fibers attached. It is still plenty cushy, but be aware of the tackiness. My favorite all round pad is the Pachmyer Decellerator.

Stigmata
04-22-2014, 11:06 PM
Limbsaver by far is the best for absorbing recoil

olddav
04-23-2014, 12:01 AM
It could be I'll just consider the recoil pad a comsumable. Use it for as long as I can and replace it when it becomes sticky or whatever.
It seems a small price to pay to avoid damage to ones arm, might need the arm to earn a living.

COplains
04-23-2014, 12:02 AM
I've used several, still prefer the Limbsaver. Never had an issue with crushing or sticking but the oldest one currently in use is only about 4yrs old on a shotgun. Works as well today as it did then. If your 110 is a woodstock the Limbsaver P/N is 10601, if synthetic it's 10111....this is good for rifles at least back to 2005 from my use/experience. But I didn't say that if it doesn't fit..grinz.

bushwackr
04-23-2014, 12:21 AM
Can a person get a kickeez pad for savages , I have some on shotguns and they work good

Mike Vegas
04-23-2014, 01:06 AM
Can you get a muzzle brake for your rifle? that would cut down the recoil... you can do the towel on the shoulder trick if you're not out hunting, but if you must, go to Walmart, they sell that Winchester brand buttstock slip-on pad for about $15 that are actually absorbs a lot of recoil. There's no permanent change on your rifle, just the longer LOP... let us know which route you're going and a brief review of the product... good luck...

maxl
04-23-2014, 10:22 AM
I have used all three of the pads mentioned, imho the limbsaver seems to me and my shoulder to tame recoil the best, it does however become tacky with age for whatever reason.

olddav
04-23-2014, 10:35 AM
My original intent was to add a muzzle brake, but after purchasing the rifle, barrel and scope I could not wait to assemble the parts. I also became acutely aware of the money I had spent and could no longer justify the expence of a muzzle brake. Now that the rifle is complete (more or less) its just too much trouble, (send off barrel and receiver, wait and wait), to have a brake installed, but if the recoil pad does not ease my pain then I'll reconsider the brake.

BillPa
04-23-2014, 12:09 PM
Another option, use a sissy bag. Its a sand filled bag placed between your shoulder and the buttplate or pad.

From Sinclair Int....

You want to shoot a 416 Rem Mag off the bench. Okay, keep reading. This bag certainly absorbs plenty of recoil when placed behind the buttplate. It's four inches in diameter by eight and a half inches high. A carrying strap is attached to the top.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/shooting-rests-bipods/sand-bags/misc-bags/protektor-sissy-bag-prod34456.aspx

Bill

zippyhuntin
04-23-2014, 04:26 PM
I use one of these when shooting my mil-surp guns with the metal butt plates. I've shot several hundred rounds during a range visit and never had a sore shoulder, and it only adds about 1/4" to the LOP.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/680235/past-field-recoil-pad-shield-ambidextrous

jonbearman
04-23-2014, 08:17 PM
What do you mean the expense of a muzzle brake.Harrels will make you one in the thread you need ,likely you will need the barrel threaded.Contact sinman about the installing the brake.It shouldnt be ridiculous.If you want to end up with non repairable shoulder issues like me then dont get a brake.

olddav
04-23-2014, 08:48 PM
jonbearman
you did not say what all that cost.
Break, barrel threading, shipping.

olddav
04-24-2014, 06:08 PM
Just found out in the gulf coast area, installing a muzzle brake cost approx $250.00. Think I'll try the recoil pad first.

Oscarflytyer
04-24-2014, 09:56 PM
look at a PAST recoil shield. use one a lot since my shoulder rebuild. works great

olddav
04-25-2014, 08:19 PM
Decided to go with the "LIMBSAVER", purchased it today.
I haven't been crazy with the fit of this rifle so I'm going to cut one inch off and then install the pad.
Once I get the stock cut, pad installed and shoot it, I'll report back.

coyote268
04-29-2014, 07:52 PM
I use Limbsavers on all my rifles and shotguns but when sighting in my big guns I use a Caldwell lead sled. No recoil at all.

olddav
07-08-2014, 05:27 PM
Went to the range today to test my new recoil pad and for further load development. The LIMBSAVER I had installed saved me a world of pain. When shooting the 250 grain bullets the rifle still pushes me around a good bit but it doesn't hurt my shoulder any more.The next step would have been to have a muzzle break installed. Glade I didn't have to spend that money!

big honkin jeep
07-08-2014, 11:23 PM
Just be careful how many rounds you send down range in one session with that beast.
I know this fella very well, who a day after sending 40 rounds downrange from a 300RUM with a limbsaver and a brake his chest started hurting.
He complained some but wouldn't go to the doctor, he didn't put 2 and 2 together that he'd fired 40 rounds from a mule, so his wife made him go to the doc. The doctor ran all kinds of tests ($$$) as if he were having a heart attack, which scared him pretty good.
When the results came back (x rays told the tale) Somehow his ribs had been separated from his sternum.....
Imagine that.....

Oops just re read your post and for some reason I was under the mistaken impression you were shooting a 30-378.