PDA

View Full Version : Boyd's Prairie Hunter stocks anyone

Pages : [1] 2

campdude
04-22-2014, 10:21 AM
Boyd's Prairie Hunter stocks anyone have these and can I see them on you setup ?

campdude
04-28-2014, 07:10 PM
The Prairie Hunter and or the classic for My Hog Hunter are what I am looking towards and wanted to know if they will fit the medium contour threaded barrel without work.

foxx
04-30-2014, 10:14 AM
you're gonna have to open them up a bit. Not a big deal, though. As I said in the other post, use sand paper and a dowel. Just be sure to seal them when done.

When ordering, if it offers one for a "Varmint" barrel or "varmint Contour" you'll be good to go. The HH is slightly smaller than that.

campdude
04-30-2014, 03:23 PM
you're gonna have to open them up a bit. Not a big deal, though. As I said in the other post, use sand paper and a dowel. Just be sure to seal them when done.

When ordering, if it offers one for a "Varmint" barrel or "varmint Contour" you'll be good to go. The HH is slightly smaller than that.

Thank you

buggybuilder
05-02-2014, 09:39 PM
I called Boyd's to ask about a HH stock. They are not making them 'til they receive enough requests. He suggested that you go to Boyds website....on the left side there is a "Product Request Form". Fill it out and leave a message in the box. Boyds did say that they have received a few requests........but MORE is GOOD!!

foxx
05-02-2014, 09:57 PM
I'll put in a request, but it's really no big deal if they do or don't. Opening the channel up is nothing, really.

campdude
05-03-2014, 09:32 AM
I put in a request also
Thanks for the heads up

buggybuilder
05-03-2014, 10:38 AM
This is a question for foxx.
How do you know this prairie hunter stock will fit the action? To me the barrel channel is an easy no-brainer. I've restocked rifles made from a walnut 2x10. Getting older now and would rather shoot than build another stock. Which prairie stock would you order? I did not see one for a short action...most were for mod. 111.
I did fail to mention that when I spoke to Boyds they said it would be Aug. or Sept. before they would even look into building one and no guarantee that they would. BUT if they rec'd many requests that could change.

foxx
05-03-2014, 10:52 AM
buggy:

I am sorry, I assumed too much, maybe.

The stock MUST match the ACTION and screw spacing. The stocks are big enough to allow the opening up for the Hog Hunter barrels Somewhere I read on their site that they are NOT big enough to allow for VARMINT or bigger. I have seen on here, though, someone who did mount a varmint stock on a thumbhole, I think.

I have Tacitcools and Classics. There seems to be plenty of stock for the Hog Hunter in the Classic, I assume the same is true for the Prairie Hunter. Maybe need to compare their dimensions listed on the site to be certain.

The Hog Hunter is, in generic terms:

Model 11, Top bolt release, Center feed Blind Mag with Heavy Sporter Barrel. (Not certain this accurately describes the barrel, though)

Edit: I checked the website... They DO make a Prairie hunter for that configuration. As long as the stock is fat enough in the forearm (I am 99% certain it is), it will work fine after opening the barrel channel.

here's a link: http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product.htm?pid=54744&cat=1222

buggybuilder
05-03-2014, 11:33 AM
foxx
when you restocked your HH did you notice a change in the group size of your rifle, considering tupperware stock compared to a rock solid laminated one?

foxx
05-03-2014, 11:48 AM
Buggy, I never even shot it in the original stock. My plan from the beginning was to put it in a Tacticool and add DBM.

I think the whole issue with the Tupperware stocks is APPARENTLY overplayed. It isn't intentional, I am sure. We are just on a site that attracts those who like customizing, altering and making "shooters", as opposed to ordinary hunting rifles. I think they are fine for deer hunting at reasonable distance (inside 300 yards, maybe?). I am 100% CERTAIN they will work well for shooting hogs on the run within 50 yds. The real problem comes up when using a bipod, especially with heavy barrels. The bipod is attached on the front swivel stud and therefore there is a lot of torque applied to the stock there and forces the stock to touch the barrel. Even then, that is no big deal at short range, but it makes a big difference at long range.

Edit: "APPARENTLY"(?) overplayed
that's not the right word, but I can't say what I mean right now. :)

campdude
05-03-2014, 12:38 PM
When you open up the stock how is this done and how much room does the barrel need?

foxx
05-03-2014, 12:49 PM
Wrap a wooden dowel or socket wrench socket with sand paper and "go at it". Keep sanding until the barrel has free clearance all around it from the recoil lug to the end.

There are other ways, tools for this, as long as you have clearance enough to run a dollar bill (or more) between the stock and barrel when done, you are good. Then seal it with Birchwood Casey Stock seal or something similar so as to protect the stock from the elements and oils, etc.

campdude
05-03-2014, 02:35 PM
Thank you foxx

So if I order this as described in other thread
The short action center-feed top bolt release steel DBM frame is Savage part number 106238.
Use your factory blind magazine well and follower with a steel magazine floor plate (Savage part number 106245) to assemble a detachable magazine that fits in the steel top bolt release DBM.

Order the Boyds stock with top bolt release and DBM for short action center feed, I should have everything I need?

foxx
05-03-2014, 05:38 PM
Assuming those part numbers are right, that's all you will need.

If you stay with blind mag, you don't need the 2 savage parts.

campdude
05-03-2014, 05:49 PM
I know I want to go to the DBM

Thanks a lot foxx you have truly been a great help.

buggybuilder
05-03-2014, 09:45 PM
foxx !!!
Thank you for making this rifle stock issue so much easier to understand. Your explanations have been very helpful. I will be ordering a Prairie Hunter next week.
I have the barrel channel rasp handy from other stock projects, but hopefully sandpaper and a dowel will do fine. By the way, did you have to buy different screws?
Thanks again !!
buggybuilder

foxx
05-03-2014, 09:58 PM
You're welcome.

Screws? I don't remember. I have done a few Tacticools, 2 Thumbholes and a Classic. I know I needed screws for some of them, and ordered them a few times, don't know which. I have a few different projects going at the same time and parts are often laying all over the place and they get swapped-out and mixed up. Half the time I end up just grabbing what fits and if its too long I grind them down. I would say order them. But you can always get longer ones at the hardware store and cut/grind to length.

buggybuilder
05-10-2014, 08:05 PM
Hey foxx !!!!
Rec'd my stock from Boyds on friday evening (about 6pm) and had it in the barreled action about 10 pm. I still have to fit the trigger guard in soon.
Thanks again for all the information and help!
buggybuilder

campdude
05-11-2014, 10:32 AM
What stock?
Pictures ?