PDA

View Full Version : My Budget 1000yrd 308

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

geargrinder
04-28-2014, 06:33 PM
Nevada is that way. No background if you're a CCW holder.

fatphatboy88
04-28-2014, 10:47 PM
Looks good man. We have almost the same exact build. I have the Dicks 11vt, SWFA 16x mrad, EGW 20moa, Burris XTR low rings, Harris 6-9 swivel bipod, and a Choate tactical fully adjustable. Up next will be CDI or PTG bottom metal. And I am debating on milling the side of the action for the top bolt release or not.

Chrazy-Chris
05-04-2014, 11:36 PM
Well, I finally have some target photos to share. This was shot during load development: Sierra Matchking 175gr, 43gr IMR4320, Win Commercial Brass, Win Primers. I'm a bit stumped; there are five shots here and this was all one group despite looking like two groups. Everything on my part was consistent (as far as I know), and I don't think human error had too much of a part in it. Overall, this group is about 1.5" but I'm hoping there was some sort of anomaly and these two groups sync up into one with my subsequent loads.
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5556/13923620388_ce77320448_c.jpg
(The grid is made up of 1/2" squares.)

I loaded up the rest of my Sierra Matchking bullets using this recipe, and plan to try and ring steel at 1000 with them.
https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2933/14106967361_fcd17a8413_c.jpg

eddiesindian
05-05-2014, 08:55 PM
Looks good Chris. Im curious as to your speed. Im running 41.5 of 4064 with the 175,s @ 2700fps.
The 4320 shows a slower burn rate so you may be running 2700-ish?
I had similar results with the 175,s on my K model and decided to use fire formed/neck sized brass and so far has brought my groupings in tighter with more consistancy ( 0.5 MOA).
(for me)..my rule of thumb before I start sending out to 1K is I have to have a 5 shot 1/2" pattern @ 100 (frequently)with whatever load Im working on. Being off by 1/2" @ 100 equates to be off by 5",s at 1K (wind dependant)
Course theres always that feeling of failure when youve spend so much time on load development and for the life of you, cant read and adjust to the wind at 1k to save your life.......................on the other hand.....its a super extra special day when you can lay your rig down, look thru your glass, read the flags/terrain/mirage, adjust accordingly.....send it, and hit your target 1st shot.
Go for it Chris!.......send-em out to 1K....see what gives.

Chrazy-Chris
05-05-2014, 11:37 PM
Looks good Chris. Im curious as to your speed. Im running 41.5 of 4064 with the 175,s @ 2700fps.
I had similar results with the 175,s on my K model and decided to use fire formed/neck sized brass and so far has brought my groupings in tighter with more consistancy ( 0.5 MOA).
(for me)..my rule of thumb before I start sending out to 1K is I have to have a 5 shot 1/2" pattern @ 100 (frequently)with whatever load Im working on. Being off by 1/2" @ 100 equates to be off by 5",s at 1K (wind dependant)
Course theres always that feeling of failure when youve spend so much time on load development and for the life of you, cant read and adjust to the wind at 1k to save your life.......................on the other hand.....its a super extra special day when you can lay your rig down, look thru your glass, read the flags/terrain/mirage, adjust accordingly.....send it, and hit your target 1st shot.
Go for it Chris!.......send-em out to 1K....see what gives.

Thanks for the encouragement! I'll be chrono'ing the loads this weekend and will report back the results. This is all the commercial brass I have but I have about 500pcs of LC military brass, so next I think I'll try and load up some of the Hornady A-Max 178s using the LC brass. When you refer to fire formed/neck sized brass, does that mean you don't resize after firing? I'm new to reloading (this is my first batch) so I'm still learning the ropes.

scooterf79
05-06-2014, 02:44 AM
When hes talking about fireformed brass and neck sizing, once brass is fired in your chamber it is "formed" to your chamber. When you neck size you can either back your sizing die off about a turn and a half, some people get actual neck sizing dies. when you size your brass like this it only works the neck of the brass. When chambered it has little to no wiggle room in the chamber. This generally leads to better accuracy. Not trying to overwhelm you but adjusting the seating depth of your bullet will help accuracy too. Id suggest getting a good consistent load down then playing with seating depth. Keep us posted, Im anxious to see your results. One of these days Im hopin to push some lead out to 1k. Hope this helps some.
Scooter

GaCop
05-07-2014, 05:55 AM
Nevada is that way. No background if you're a CCW holder. Same with Georgia.

Chrazy-Chris
05-16-2014, 09:51 PM

I finally have an answer for you! 2665fps @ 75degrees (43gr IM4320 175gr SMK)

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5079/14015574849_734aa033d1_b.jpg
11.3mils up and 2.3 mils over!

I rang steel on the third shot, and it was a lot of fun! I was making continuous adjustments throughout, so I didn't end up getting any sort of group. I had about a 50% hit rate. The grass was too tall to go prone so I was shooting off the hood of a pickup using a (cheap) bipod and a squeeze bag. There was a gusting 10mph that didn't help the situation either. I should also note I wasn't the only one shooting at this target, so not all those hits are mine.

schockergd
05-16-2014, 11:32 PM
Pretty awesome to see someone do so well with an 'affordable' rifle at such a distance. Gives me hope on the builds I'm doing :)

What was your cool-down time on the barrel between shots? The barrel doesn't look like a heavy profile.

Oscarflytyer
05-19-2014, 02:16 PM
Well, I finally have some target photos to share. This was shot during load development: Sierra Matchking 175gr, 43gr IMR4320, Win Commercial Brass, Win Primers. I'm a bit stumped; there are five shots here and this was all one group despite looking like two groups. Everything on my part was consistent (as far as I know), and I don't think human error had too much of a part in it. Overall, this group is about 1.5" but I'm hoping there was some sort of anomaly and these two groups sync up into one with my subsequent loads.
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5556/13923620388_ce77320448_c.jpg
(The grid is made up of 1/2" squares.)

If the top 3 were first three, and last two were #4 and #5, I would guess bbl heated up and hit stock channel and threw off the shots. But only a guess.

FW Conch
05-19-2014, 02:51 PM
Those two could have been "on" the heart beat, instead of "in between"? Just Sayin? ;-))

Really, a distance that small on the target, reduced back 100yds to your trigger finger, is a small distance, indeed!

Chrazy-Chris
05-20-2014, 08:10 AM
I was shooting off bags, but some shooter error may have been a contributor. To take the flimsy stock out of the equation, here she sits now in her new Boyd's Tacticool with the Acraglass drying::

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2925/14229061934_c5033df18a_c.jpg

Pictures of the final product to follow.

Oscarflytyer
05-20-2014, 10:47 AM
IS the Boyd's stock a "snap in fit?" Or do you have to mod it to make it go? Thanx

ywhic
05-20-2014, 04:27 PM
Nice shooting.. got same project running with the 11 'HogHunter'.. 750yds seemed easy.. Ammo due in Thursday (though its just 168gr OTM..)

At my 4000 ft. elevation Hornady ballistics tables are saying 34.9 MIL.. guess we'll see.

Oscarflytyer
05-20-2014, 11:41 PM
If you are looking for match ammo at a decent price, check out Sniper Central. have to spend $10 to become a member, but make it up in a hurry if you buy a few boxes of ammo. I went this route to save on reloading trial and error. For a ~$22 box of ammo, I can hopefully determine bullet(s) and velocity that the rifle likes w/o all the load development time and expense. Will still have to fine tune once I get some idea, but should save me a lot or trial and error effort and expense.

Chrazy-Chris
05-20-2014, 11:56 PM
IS the Boyd's stock a "snap in fit?" Or do you have to mod it to make it go? Thanx

Mine didn't require any special fitting besides sanding the barrel channel down because it wasn't available for a bull barrel. Since I did this, I decided to bed the stock while I was at it so I could float the barrel and rear tang properly and for the stiffness benefits. Here is a half-assed picture of her now sporting the tacticool:

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5157/14048120088_805df05c4c_b.jpg

I'm looking forward to seeing if the new stock resulted in any tighter groups. Next project for her will be a paint job on the stock and I'm shopping around for an oversized bolt knob.

big honkin jeep
05-21-2014, 09:11 AM
Charging for a background check to exercise a constitutional right?
Sounds more like a poll tax to me.

Just a theory but I wouldn't think wood would be preferable over synthetic on a long range rig just due to its susceptibility to change due to the elements.
Good luck and I hope she holds tight.

Badger
05-21-2014, 12:00 PM
Just curious why the trigger looks like it's depressed in the photo?

Chrazy-Chris
05-21-2014, 07:25 PM
...Just a theory but I wouldn't think wood would be preferable over synthetic on a long range rig just due to its susceptibility to change due to the elements.
Good luck and I hope she holds tight.

You're probably right... the price was right on the Boyd's. I bedded it using Brownell's Acraglass and I will paint all exposed wood to keep moisture out. I floated the barrel and rear tang with enough clearance that any flex due to moisture shouldn't cause the stock to directly touch the receiver/barrel.

Chrazy-Chris
05-21-2014, 07:27 PM
Just curious why the trigger looks like it's depressed in the photo?

That is the position the accutrigger stays in after your pull it.