PDA

View Full Version : Model 12 Action

cleanskin
04-21-2014, 03:52 AM
Hi Lads,

Looking at buying a new secondhand heavy varmint rifle here in Australia and found a model 12 in .223 that i like. I have always been a remington 700 action man and just want to know what its like buying accessories to suit the model 12 action like Stocks and Triggers. Are they as easy to come by as the 700 action and whats your opinions on this gun?

Cheers

Gavin

maxl
04-21-2014, 05:10 AM
Welcome Gavin, not to sure about availability for after market parts in Austrailia but here stateside stocks,triggers and barrels are very easy to get for the model 12, albiet not as many options as the 700. I was also a remington 700 man before I discovered Savage now I own only two 700's .Savage's are easier to work on, and in my humble opion are more accurate rifles, also the ability to switch calibers so quickly is something I really like about savage, in about 15 minutes your new 223 can be a 204 ruger or a 222 ect. good luck and shoot straight

lscraig1968
04-21-2014, 10:13 AM
Gavin:

I have the model 12FV in .223 with heavy bbl for varmints. You are going to like the rifle. Here in the US there are several choices of stocks. I just upgraded the trigger on mine to a fully adjustable. I found it to be a very simple rifle to work on. I am not a gun smith at all, but am not afraid to tinker. This is the first rifle I have customized myself, and I like it a lot.

04-22-2014, 06:26 AM
Looking at buying a new secondhand heavy varmint rifle here in Australia and found a model 12 in .223 that i like. I have always been a remington 700 action man and just want to know what its like buying accessories to suit the model 12 action like Stocks and Triggers. Are they as easy to come by as the 700 action and whats your opinions on this gun?

I don't know what trigger that Model 12 would have, but I just bought a (new) Model 12 F-Class with the Target Accutrigger and I wouldn't change that trigger for the world, at least not at this point. Right out of the box the trigger is SWEET, and apparently is adjustable down to 6 ounces, though I haven't touched it. Mine has no perceptible creep and breaks like glass.

(The so-called Accutrigger on my Savage 22 is another story.)

Welcome to the forum. Lots of knowledgeable people here who are a big help.

cleanskin
04-22-2014, 07:25 AM
Thanks guys, put the deposit down today. Just waiting for my permit to come through now will post a photo when i get it!