PDA

View Full Version : 1st build- tell me if I'm stupid

placek59
03-21-2010, 10:51 PM
Hello All,
I just finished my first savage "build" or rebarrel may be a better term. I want to thank pdog06, hany, mattpeetz, and 319 for all of the parts and advice I have got from them. They are also great folks to deal with. I have read alot on here and have built a few ar's but I just wanted to quadruple check that I won't blow my face off when shooting this for the first time. I got a stocked action with an sss trigger, a nss recoil lug and LW 6br barrel. I assembled everything in my shop and did everything that seems like common sense, and the same as what I've read dozens of times on here, but..... is it really this easy? Clamping the barrel in the barrel vise, screw on the nut, slide on the wrench, recoil lug, go-gage in barrel, thread on receiver.... receiver stops, I tightened with a torque wrench to 30lbs (about 37lbs with the link for extended wrenches that I found on here) bolt works fine. I install no-go gage and bolt won't even try to close. I put one piece of scotch tape on back of go-gage and it only goes about 1/3 of the way, and the bolt closes fine on a fresh sized piece of brass. I hear and read all the time that it's this easy but when you do it I actually want to check before I put about 50k psi 4 inches from my nose. I hope I don't have a death wish in my hands and I can't wait to shoot this sucker!!
p59

Uncle Jack
03-21-2010, 11:11 PM
It appears that you have done everything right. I like the idea that you used both a go and a no go gauge and then check it with the go and tape.

You are not stupid. You do, however, sound as if you are now infected.

uj

placek59
03-21-2010, 11:27 PM
I am definitely infected! ;D This is probably the most expensive $12 (membership fee) I have ever spent! I already have bought two more barrels for my other savages. - I also don't think I'm stupid, but I have gotten excited and had "tunnel vision" before where you just kind of zone out and go through the motions to get to the finish before you can go have fun. -- If it really is this easy I am going to have to build another barrel vise to go in the receiver hitch to switch barrels on the road/range/town etc.... !!

03-22-2010, 12:01 AM
Placek59, I went through exactly what you are going through about 2 months ago. Pulling the trigger for the first time on the 6.5X284Norma I built was a little nerve wracking, but after that first shot I was hooked! I hope you have as much fun with it as I did. I have a few more in the works,and am looking forward to a few more!

Matt Peetz
03-22-2010, 12:16 AM
Placek

I was in in the same boat as you on my first build. Very satisfying when you first pull that trigger and everything works like it should. You will be hooked and your mind will be onto the next build you want to do and your wallet will get lighter. I got my 260 done and now thinking of another build for my daughters to shoot with me. I got a short action laying around. I also got a couple buddies that are die hard Remmy fans and i am really close to converting them. Just have to show them a couple more targets with tiny holes HA. They don't beleive how easy it is.

Good luck

pdog06
03-22-2010, 07:43 AM
You're done brother! Go shootin.

We've all been there, when it really is that easy to do it is also that easy to doubt yourself. I used to fire the first shot out of a new build with me sitting up , just aim the gun at the target then sit up and shoot. Once it went off and didnt explode I was confident I did it right...LOL...Now it doesnt bother me though as I've done enough of them.

Uhhh, where's the pics at??? You are gonna love that Lothar Walther barrel. We wanna see the pics. Actually, I just wanna see all my old parts again..LOL

MikeCTX
03-22-2010, 09:15 AM
Yup...like everyone else has said, that's it. Did my first one back in Dec and know what you mean, it was a 'huh' moment for sure. I did the go/no-go gauge and the tape as well. Now don't do like I did, was re-checking the go gauge and got nervous when bolt would not close...then saw the tape on the end of it.