PDA

View Full Version : Cabellas Prairie Dog Stock replacement

wiliamr
04-20-2014, 02:28 PM
I recently bought a Cabellas Prairie Dog in 22-250 (Its a Model 11 with a medium heavy barrel SA, blind box center feed mag. side bolt release) and it is nice rifle. Very accurate. Now as most of us... I am a tinkerer.. SOooo any ideas about a replacement stock for this beast. Thanks folks

Elgin
04-23-2014, 01:45 PM
I would check out Boyd's for laminate stocks, that won't break the bank. Otherwise there are a lot of choices out there. What style are you looking for?

Jamie
04-23-2014, 10:30 PM
Everyone has lots of ideas on this but here is the order I would look at

Bell and Carlson
HS Precision (including factory Savage take-offs)

Then comes the high end ones in no particular order

Stockade
Manners
XLR
Mcree

I had a Choate Tactical that came on a factory rifle. Absolutely hated that stock. More plastic feeling versus the solid feeling of the B&C I swapped it out for.

wiliamr
04-25-2014, 09:49 AM
My big issue is that I shoot lefty and right hand stocks put the comb roll right in my face. I have one I shaved it off of and refinished and added an add on check rest. I am not sure what I want in a stock, I really do not need a "tactical stock" BUT..... I'll look at BC I have looked at the Boyds, nice for the money. McMillans OUCh pricy, but you do get what you pay for. I am not sure what would need to be done to bed the rifle to the aftermarket stocks. I am impressed by the factory metal bedding.

SKami
05-13-2014, 04:49 PM
So I ordered a Boyd's thumbhole, fit was ok-needed a little work in the trigger guard area, no pillars so I pillar bedded it, then bedded the action, floated the tang, and the darn thing shoots dime sized groups-no custom build for this one. But I did pick up a long action 110 from a local, removed the barrel and replaced it with a shilen select match 26 in .243w1:8tw , now the stock options are even fewer. I think that choate that some others are using seems decent.

wiliamr
05-18-2014, 05:45 PM
The issue I have now, the rifle as it came stock, with this new load( Nosler 50 gr Ballistic tip Varmint over IMR 4064) shoots 20 shot group at 100 yards of .397. I am inclined to not mess with a thing, except try the Nosler Varmint 55 gr bullet and the 60 grain. Why 20 shot group? well in the real world shooting 22-250 at ground hogs, coyotes, you dont stop with 3 rounds. So I let go 20 at the target and this gives an excellent statistical base of the performance. took an hour to shoot, cleaned barrel at 10 and 20 rounds.

FW Conch
05-19-2014, 11:08 AM
That is an "Awsom" group ;-))

wiliamr
05-20-2014, 12:13 PM
I didnt mention, I am shooting a 32 power scope, so that does help with aiming. I was blown away by the group. There was one flyer, that I called as soon as the rifle fired, sneezing is not good for groups. I just got back from range with a different load a 55 gr Vmax with IMR 4064, that 10 shot group was .435. I figure this rifle will shoot 1/2 minute groups all day. I have some 60 gr. bullets on the way and will see how they work. I do think that I am going to order a Boyds, and do some mods (pillars, glass bed recoil lug) and see what happens, despite how the shoots in the original stock.