PDA

View Full Version : Model 10 BAS/BAT

IMYURHUCKLEBERRY
03-21-2010, 10:49 PM
Hey guys! first post here. I'm retired army and normally don't go for black rifles but something about the Model 10 BAS and BAT caught my eye, like a lady wearing a bikini. I am truly interested in purchasing this rifle and was wondering if anyone here has one that could give me a range report? Read most of the pages looking for an answer but did not find one. I normally hunt in west Texas by Terlingua and do not shoot competition but do shoot at least twice a week at the range and use my old model 110C in 30-06 for hunting and shooting long distance. I mainly shoot 22lr at 200 yds all day just a lot cheaper. Thanks for the info and this great forum.

Manny.

ellobo
03-21-2010, 11:55 PM
Murry,
Welcome to th site. I dont know squat about that model but I do know that out of the box Savages will outshoot about any mass produced rifle out there, even the $1300 Kimbers. Contact Ken Short, 7580 highway 183 so. Brekenridge, TX. He is retired army as well and a great guy. Or kshort@academicplanet.com
He isnt a Savage guy but he is a gun guy and a shooter and hunter.

El Lobo

IMYURHUCKLEBERRY
03-22-2010, 06:47 PM
Yes I know they are good shooters, my brother gets upset than my old model 110C factory stock can outshoot his weatherby and remington. Could be me just outshooting him but the rifle helps.

range rat
03-22-2010, 07:55 PM
I picked up a BAT/S when they first came out. And yes, mine was also wearing a bikini. It's one rifle I'll never sell. I never did finish load development last year and it would still print 5 shots touching at 200 yards. It's favorite load to date is Varget with the Berger 155.5gr fullbore.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n212/455mjd/007-11.jpg

IMYURHUCKLEBERRY
03-22-2010, 09:25 PM
I've been shooting 22lr over a year and a half now because its really addictive, and had been saving for 1 revolver from usfirearms called the 12/22 which holds 12 in the cylinder. But after seeing the cover of American Rifleman with the savage lapua I went to the website and saw the model 10 BAS/BAT and fell in love with it. Now I gotta save a few more months for it. Wish they had it in a 30-06 or a 243 but I'll take the 308. Funny I have over a dozen different calibers in my safe and the 308 was never one of them. Glad to hear its a shooter, thanks for the info. BTW what scope do you have mounted on it?

bodywerks
03-22-2010, 11:36 PM
I was looking at this model. It is cool-looking, but not nearly the same value as its cousin, the 10FCP-K. You can find the FCP-k for about $775-800, and it is the exact same meat and potatoes as the BAS(action, trigger, barrel, muzzle brake, detachable magazine, 3D-bedded accustock). The BAS is $1,500-1600+, so you're paying an extra $800 for a fancy-looking stock. For around that money, you can find a TON of aftermarket stocks that you may like even more. And in the meantime, while you're saving for that custom stock, you can go out and fire your new gun as-is, which is every bit as accurate as the BAS, and I'm here to tell you it's a blast to shoot!

IMYURHUCKLEBERRY
03-23-2010, 12:21 AM
That is an interesting point you make. So if I understand you correctly I can purchase the FCP-K now and start shooting and than order the stock separately? Do you know if I can use the same magazine from the FCP-K on the Model 10 BAT platform or does it all gets reconfigured and have to use the 10 round mags that come with the specific model? Thanks for the idea, which is great. I guess I have a little more research to do now. I have the money for the FCP-K now just need to find out about the mags before committing myself. As I understand I believe the FCP-K comes in 223 cal as well and if I can make it look like the MODEL 10 BAS it would be ideal. Once again thanks for the idea and info.

Kinetik1
03-23-2010, 11:09 AM
I too have a 10 bat, and they are a blast to shoot, and very accurate as most Savages are. But the action is NOT the same as the 10 fcp-k. As shown on Savage's site the fcp-k has an open top action. The BAT has the target action type port on the right side, similar to their 12 LRPV dbm model, just parkerized I guess. That rifle's MSRP is over $1300. It may not be any issue for you if your considering building one to look like the BAT, but just thought I'd clarify.
Kent

IMYURHUCKLEBERRY
03-23-2010, 04:38 PM
Thanks for the clarification. That would explain the 10 round mags and why they are not interchangeable. I think I'll get the bat...just like the looks. Hoping to drive to Cabelas and see if they have one I can fondle...I mean handle.

range rat
03-23-2010, 07:58 PM
BTW what scope do you have mounted on it?

It's a Bushnell Elite 6500 4.5-30 with mil-dot reticle.

bodywerks
03-24-2010, 04:51 AM
Not sure about the BAT, but I was under the impression that the BAS was essentially the same action/barrel.
Regardless, the idea wasn't to purchase this exact stock later, but a similar one from an aftermarket maker. The FCP-k is a short action with detachable magazine and the same heavy fluted barrel. If you want a higher capacity magazine you can get one from sharpshootersupply.com. There will be tons of aftermarket tactical-style stocks available for you to choose from. The point is to get the same deadly-accurate barrel/action now, and get the 'cool factor' later...