PDA

View Full Version : sights?

rjsixgun
04-17-2014, 10:24 PM
Anyone here put sight on their rifle? Other than a scope that is.
been wanting to put a set on my barrel just wondering if anyone has done this and what they used.
I have remington sights on my shotgun and really like them. Just feels like a sin on a Savage

Silvercrow1
04-18-2014, 01:31 AM
Anyone here put sight on their rifle? Other than a scope that is.
been wanting to put a set on my barrel just wondering if anyone has done this and what they used.
I have remington sights on my shotgun and really like them. Just feels like a sin on a Savage

Several months ago I bought the Hog Hunter in .308. Came standard with "open" sights- I forget the manufacturer- but they are nice. As I didn't have the money for a scope right away, I shot it several times using the sights. I'm in my late 50s and my eyes ain't what they used to be- but considering all that I did pretty well with them. (The sights...LOL)

The rear "notch" had independent adjustment for elevation and windage, with corresponding hash marks. Nice beaded front sight.

I had a Remington 6mm back in the 60s (wish I still had that gun..) that started life with a Lyman style rear sight fully adjustable for windage and elevation and a nice brass beaded front sight. Back then it was good for me, but my longest shots at that time were around 100 yards max. Dad started taking me out for some long range ground hogs and we mounted a scope on it...

I got the scope I wanted and took the sights off- to me they looked silly on there with the scope, but that's just me.

I don't see it as sin to mount a set of irons on it at all! There are lots of good choices- and if you decide later to take 'em off, well, just take 'em off! It would be beyond MY skill level to drill and tap for them, but I can't imagine a competent 'smith would charge exhorbitently for the job.

Brian

Silvercrow1
04-18-2014, 01:51 AM
Just looked it up- the sights on the Hog Hunter are made by "LPA".

Brian

GaCop
04-18-2014, 07:03 AM
I've pretty much have had to give up on iron sights......my old eyes just don't handle them well any more. On my lever action 45/70 for hogs, I use a 1X6X32 scope. At one power it has plenty "field of view".