PDA

View Full Version : B-Mag Series: Sent My 17wsm back to Savage...

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

Willy
06-12-2014, 09:15 AM
I finally saw and held a B-mag with the heavy ss barrel; what an unbelievably, pathetic, ridiculously cheap stock. I'm sure the Weatherby S2 synthetic stocks cost less than $10 more to make and it is about 1000 times nicer. There is no excuse for making such a pathetic stock. It's almost as though Savage wants to be the King of Ugly. And to get a Byod's stock up here in Canada cost about 50% more than what you can get if for in the US.

Willy
06-12-2014, 09:17 AM
Okay....make that "Boyd's" stock.....

Rainorshine
06-12-2014, 02:17 PM
The stock of the replacement B-Mag rifle Savage sent to me is stiffer and I think a little thicker in places than the stock of my original rifle but the forend still contacts the barrel. It has a slight curve just like the stock on the original so it looks like the barrel "leans" left. The CSR at Savage did state that the barrel was supposed to be free floating. Apparently this "warp" isn't causing too much of an adverse effect on grouping.

Lonewulf
06-14-2014, 03:13 PM
Talked to Savage yesterday, the guy I talked to said they were shipping me a new rifle to my FFL, but did not have a ship date yet

onegreatshot
06-14-2014, 09:51 PM
Sorry to say, there is no ammo to be had on the LEFT coast either. I have put in paid orders on 3 sites and have been waiting months for the ammo.

rona
06-14-2014, 10:33 PM
Sorry to say, there is no ammo to be had on the LEFT coast either. I have put in paid orders on 3 sites and have been waiting months for the ammo.
This is starting to look like two companys got together to pull a get rich quick scam with our gov's blessing. I was going to mention I read in another website that Savage laid off between 30 and 40 emplyees the first of the year and just laid off another 30 or 40 lately.
In another note our local gun dealer said some ammo is getting down the pipeline. He had gotten 30 bricks of 22 mag last week and some of the price gougers are lowering their prices. I would suggest don't buy anything from the scalpers. Let them sit on it.

fla9-40
06-18-2014, 08:33 AM
Well I called Savage.....AGAIN to check the status of my 17 and AGAIN the lady told me it would be another 3 weeks or more! She said they only get around 5 rifles a week to test and out of those 5 if only one passes the test then they can only ship that one out to the next customer in line!
She also talked like the twist rate was the grouping problem and have now changed to a 1:8 twist on all the 17wsm.

I think they have had possession of my gun more then I have! Shipped it around the 31st of March.

Lonewulf
06-18-2014, 08:45 AM
I am gonna call them again today myself to see if I get a better answer

Lonewulf
06-20-2014, 08:48 AM
No better answer, they are also shutdown the first 2 weeks of July I was told. and I let them know about it, that there are a bunch of people that sent them in and are tired of waiting to get them back :( it does not take that long to test a rifle out to make sure it shoots right

fla9-40
07-07-2014, 04:00 PM
Well it FINALLY came in today!
They sent it back with a Bushnell 3-9 scope on it. I wished now I would of stepped up to the fat barrel after waiting this long for this one!

These are the test targets they sent back, I can only assume this is @ 50yrds they did not mark any distance down:

Group 1 : 0.59"
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-n3LBFyiLgsQ/U7r5uxwjIVI/AAAAAAAAACY/v-gSLPzRdnw/s807/17wsm_a.jpg

And another

Group 2 : 1.08"
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/--RwafNQ9UuY/U7r5uYMEQ3I/AAAAAAAAACQ/fxYui9lMHbc/s692/17wsm_b.jpg

Can not wait to see what it will do for me!!

fla9-40
07-26-2014, 06:11 AM
The above targets HAS to be at 50yrds or maybe 25! I tried mine out to 100yrds yesterday and the best that two different shooters could get was at BEST 4 MOA :mad:
This was with 20 and 25 grain rounds.

I can only hope that with a couple more boxes down the tube it MIGHT get better!

I can say right now, this was money wasted, and a BIG disappointment of Savage!!!

Rainorshine
07-26-2014, 08:50 PM
In my conversation with Savage's CSR about what groups could be expected from B-Mags their answer was 1.5" at 100 yards. The replacement Sporter model rifle they sent me appears to do that. The target that Savage sent with it was a 3 shot, 1.03" group which I assumed was at 100 yds. I haven't had enough ammo and time to really test the replacement out but I have shot a few 3 shot groups better than 1.5" at 100 Yards with both 20 and 25 gr ammo with the 20 gr grouping the best. After reading a couple reviews where people improved their rifle's grouping by adding the Sims barrel de-resonator (on sale now at Cabelas for $10) I put one on my skinny B Mag and shot one 5 shot group at just over 1" with 20 gr ammo at 100 yards.

Fla9-40, I'm not sure if any of this helps but according to what Savage told me groups of 1.5" or tighter at 100 yards should be expected.

savagetoter
07-26-2014, 11:10 PM
Wow, sounds like you have had some serious issues. I am going to the range tomorrow, to test out the new Savage .17 HMR I bought. If it shoots as well as the ones I have heard about, then I will not even consider the .17 WSM.

Willy
07-27-2014, 07:56 AM
Everyone should be boycotting all Savage products until they do something about their WSM rifles, and if the fault lies with Winchester, then Savage should be pressuring Winchester to get their act together.

Lonewulf
08-19-2014, 11:45 PM
e-mailed them again today, but the last time 2 weeks ago the lady said it would be the end of August before it might ship :( Not happy

jugchoke
09-27-2014, 07:31 PM
Well, I am waiting on two rifles, the heavy barrel B-mag, ordered a couple of weeks ago, and not yet even charged for.
And the Franklin Armory, AR type platform, ordered two months ago and due in a couple weeks now.

At least, it seems that the ammo stream has started to fill up a bit here.
I was worried that I would have one or both of the guns, but no ammo for a while.
Been scoring some boxes pretty regularly now, the last two weeks.
And building up a little stash, come on, guns get here!

Lonewulf
09-28-2014, 09:19 AM
well here we are at the end of Sept and still no rifle or words on it :((((( they have had it since June 2nd

Lonewulf
09-28-2014, 11:50 PM
you can about bet somebody from Savage is watching this forum, you would at least think they would post once in awhile with updates on our rifles :(

J.Baker
09-29-2014, 11:18 AM
You'd probably loose that bet, and even if there was someone watching I'm betting there's a company wide gag order in terms of commenting/posting anywhere online. Even emails from anyone at Savage usually come with a rather lengthy Confidentiality/Non-Disclosure statement at the end.

Lonewulf
09-30-2014, 08:41 AM
you R probably right :(