PDA

View Full Version : Input for rings & bases - 11VT (the dick's special)

JungleRecon
04-17-2014, 12:14 PM
A friend at work who reloads & shoots avidly has recommended using Leupold dual dove tail bases & rings in a Medium Height at 1" diameter.

I've priced them through Natchez Shooter's Supply at 24.99 & 19.99. They'll be paired with a Nikon Prostaff 4-12x40 BDC optic.

I just got my Choate stock in the mail & installed it yesterday. There was some minor inletting to be done, but that's all squared away now.

Just wanted to run it by a bunch of savage guys to see if they've had success with those particular rings & bases. Hell, if you've got a Prostaff, chime in too! (although I'm pretty decided on that glass for now)

and just because everyone loves pictures, here she is.

https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1.0-9/1526725_3041977810298_8647055309450516874_n.jpg

JungleRecon
04-17-2014, 01:14 PM
I don't know how this ended up in 'vintage' but I posted it in 'Help Me Decide'. Could a moderator please move the thread?

big honkin jeep
04-17-2014, 05:37 PM
If you can even find some Leupold dual dovetail bases you better jump on em.
I don't think they have made em for Savages in quite a while. The dual dovetails are a very solid darn near bulletproof setup and I'm not sure why the Savage bases were discontinued.
The last set I wound up with came as a special request through customer service at Leupold. (great experience)
I bought a set of dual dovetail rings and standard bases and had customer service send me another front (dovetail) ring to reverse and use on the rear.
This was on a roundback (accutrigger) action and my Bushnell Elite tube was long enough so it worked out.
Somebody somewhere may have a set of new old stock for a flatback sitting on a shelf but they would probably be near impossible to find.
Medium height dual dovetail rings have worked very well for me in the past with a 1" tube and 40mm objective.
Good luck and it sounds like your buddy was steering you into a good, quality, solid and maintenance free setup.

JungleRecon
04-17-2014, 05:57 PM
If you can even find some Leupold dual dovetail bases you better jump on em.
I don't think they have made em for Savages in quite a while. The dual dovetails are a very solid darn near bulletproof setup and I'm not sure why the Savage bases were discontinued.
The last set I wound up with came as a special request through customer service at Leupold. (great experience)
I bought a set of dual dovetail rings and standard bases and had customer service send me another front (dovetail) ring to reverse and use on the rear.
This was on a roundback (accutrigger) action and my Bushnell Elite tube was long enough so it worked out.
Somebody somewhere may have a set of new old stock for a flatback sitting on a shelf but they would probably be near impossible to find.
Medium height dual dovetail rings have worked very well for me in the past with a 1" tube and 40mm objective.
Good luck and it sounds like your buddy was steering you into a good, quality, solid and maintenance free setup.

Rings:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1362189965/leupold-dual-dovetail-rings?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Bases:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/430444/leupold-2-piece-dual-dovetail-scope-base-savage-10-through-16-110-through-116-round-rear-axis-matte