PDA

View Full Version : Headspace gauges--rent or buy?

scooterf79
04-17-2014, 02:45 AM
Hey guys, going to be doing my first build soon. I knew my barrel would be a while...still have about 8 weeks to wait for it. Ive been looking at getting my go-gauge and some of my other stuff. Should I rent or buy my headspace gauge? Im goin to build a 280AI (saami version). I can special order from Brownells and wait, but it seems a couple places have them in stock to rent. Just wondering what you all prefer or suggest.
Thanks
Scooter

Hotolds442
04-17-2014, 03:13 AM
I prefer to just buy them. Then if I get a wild hair to do some swapping, I can always swap back without waiting on a rental to arrive.

Luke45
04-17-2014, 09:44 AM
I have a 280 AI go gauge you could borrow when your ready to do your build, just PM me when the time gets closer and you have your barrel. buts its not the sammi version, im not sure if they use the same gauge or not though, mine is set for a 4 thou further back from a standard 280

BillPa
04-17-2014, 11:43 AM
buts its not the sammi version, im not sure if they use the same gauge or not though, mine is set for a 4 thou further back from a standard 280

The .004" you speak of is from the casehead to the shoulder-neck junction. Its the "Correct" way head clearance is established using the parent cartridge in an improved chamber with a .004" crush fit for firing/forming.
http://i44.tinypic.com/9pna50.jpg

There's a conversely if there is a difference between the SAAMI and the traditional Ackley version. Some say they're different, others say they're the same. I don't know one way or the other. My better 280s are the traditional Ackley versions.

http://gunsmithtalk.wordpress.com/2010/01/13/280-ackley-improved-alert/

but.....
https://gunsmithtalk.wordpress.com/2012/07/17/280-ackley-improved-emperical-headspace-test/

...and
http://www.redding-reloading.com/tech-line-a-tips-faqs/133-280-changes%29:

Bill

Westcliffe01
04-17-2014, 08:38 PM
For $30, I will buy all the go gauges I need. If you need Ackley gauges, go to Mansonreamers.com PTG also makes gauges, but with them an ackley is a special order and I would not know how long the lead time.

scooterf79
04-17-2014, 09:42 PM
Thanks for the input guys...I really appreciate it. ..
Bill...thanks for the links, hopin I getta read them at lunch break.
Thanks for the offer Luke....ill see how this all goes before I let ya know
Thanks for the links West....ill check em out

scooterf79
04-19-2014, 10:25 PM
Bill I checked out and read the links.....very interesting...so if the emperical test holds true...then I could use the original 280ai gauges and be good....id like to see some other guys comment on this and see what they think....thanks!
Scooter

BillPa
04-20-2014, 11:24 AM
Like I said, I don't know if there's a difference between the SAAMI or traditional versions. If I were you I'd call and ask which version your chamber is or will be before I bought anything.

The design of a "true" improved is the ability to chamber and fire the parent without any cartridge preparation. That means you should be able to buy 280 ammo off the shelf, chamber and fire it as is. If not, then its not a true improved.

Bill

scooterf79
04-20-2014, 09:15 PM
Bill...I had checked when I ordered my barrel...its the saami version, I plan on using the saami version gauge, id just been reading alot....ya know that goes :) and got my curiosity going. Thanks again for the input and the links, I appreciate it
Scooter

scooterf79
04-22-2014, 04:51 PM
Called Manson reamers today and ordered the saami version headspace gauge, they said they were supposed to start producing some next week. They told me the P.O. Ackley version wouldnt work in the saami version....so....who knows I guess, either way mines on order and thats another piece of the puzzle.
Thanks again to everyone for the input
Scooter

JASON_SCHROEDER
04-22-2014, 07:39 PM
Midway has this gauge in stock. How do you tell if it is a SAAMI or PO Ackley version gauge? I called Midway but the gal I spoke with didn't know.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/728080/ptg-headspace-go-gage-280-remington-ackley-improved-40-degree-shoulder?cm_vc=ProductFinding

drybean
04-22-2014, 08:35 PM
It says Ackley on it, to be sure call PT&G

scooterf79
04-22-2014, 09:39 PM
You would think a rep at Midway woulda been able to give u an answer.....but drybean is right...calling pt&g would be best. Seems theres quite a bit of discrepancy from place to place so calling the actual company that makes em is best from the little bit I can tell

scooterf79
04-29-2014, 12:29 AM
Got my manson headspace gauge in the mail today :) Got the saami version. I asked about the difference in the both gauges when I called. They told me they were NOT interchangeable. Figured they know what theyre talking about since they make em.
Thanks for the all the input guys, I appreciate it.
Scooter

bythebook
05-25-2014, 10:38 AM
It is funny how things come around every so often and stir interest ! In 1963 or 64 I was building a custom rifle for my self, and had almost settled on a 280 Rem. then looked at a AI version . Fred Huntington (founder & CEO of RCBS) was promoting interest in the AI at that time
I wrote to him and he wrote back in a 3 page letter that with the powders available at the time there wasn't enough gained to warrant the cost of the conversion. I went ahead with a Douglas Supreme barrel in 280 Rem.

scope eye
05-25-2014, 10:48 AM
If the gauges can be used for several chambers, like the 308 - 30-06 Belted cases and RUMs all can, then it is worth buying, if it is a one off rent them and save a once fired case.

Dean