PDA

View Full Version : Too Much MOA required

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Ol' BW
04-19-2014, 09:15 AM
What you didn't know is you have a "trench gun". It will shoot around the edge of the trench so you don't have to stick your head above the edge. You stay below line of sight! You are supposed to fit it with a periscope. :D:D

I think what I would have tried that would have proved the problem was the barrel is I would have put the gun in your lead sled took the scope and bases off, took the bolt out and put the bullseye centered in the barrel and locked the gun down so it couldn't move from where you pointed it and just shot it. If it still shot low, pack it up and send it back. I know you did similar, but taking the scope/rings/bases variable out completely proves it is not the scope.

I don't think you admitting a problem is gong to be as difficult as getting Savage to tell you what the problem was after they fix it. Most times from companies you get the " we fixed it" and not the "here's what we did wrong the first time."

BW

SKami
04-19-2014, 02:44 PM
I thought about doing that, and probably should have. I think Savage will fix it, whether they tell me what's up or not is still a question. I do know that in some of the other research I've done, that people have been reserved about publicly saying what savage told them, which is fine as long as they get it straightened out. I'm not looking to give savage a bad name, all companies have qc issues to one extent or another-"stuff" happens. I've gone ahead and ordered a new scope for it, anticipating a good shooter, a vortex 4x16x44, hopefully I'll be posting pics of little groups in the near future. And if it turns out to shoot as well as I've read, I will probably replace some of my other calibers with a savage-I like the barrel interchangeability, and my Brownings don't really have that option!

Ol' BW
04-19-2014, 03:00 PM
Yep your right! Can't swap barrels on just anything. That's why I have a Savage in layaway, now your story has got me kinda nervous. I have several swap barrel H&R Handi Rifles. If a Savage is the V-8 Chevy small block of the gun world, the H&R is the flathead Ford of the gun world.

BW

SKami
04-19-2014, 03:07 PM
Always wanted to build a flat head, did lots of V-8's, never a flat head though! I wouldn't worry too much about Savage-they're pretty darn good shooters from what I've read, did a ton of research before I bought one. The problem is more to do with our computer driven lives, it's easier to see the bad, the good ones don't get as much "attention"- guys/gals just quietly win competitions with'em!

Kill N Grill
04-19-2014, 08:04 PM
I wonder if the bore diameter is too small. May have the right chamber but wrong bore. Having a 260 chamber and a 243 bore??

Westcliffe01
04-19-2014, 08:12 PM
I think a half mm (.020") bore difference would be a blowup. Sorry, I made the reference to .243 in calculating the field of view when bore sighting with the bolt removed.

SKami
04-19-2014, 08:13 PM
I wonder if the bore diameter is too small. May have the right chamber but wrong bore. Having a 260 chamber and a 243 bore??
I thought about that too, and I have a 243, should have held a bullet upto the barrel to see. The thing is, this isn't really a sight in problem per say, the rifle is not shooting where the bore is pointing, by alot-more than any scope has available in adjustment. I calculate something like 7 or 8 ft at 100 yrds. Savage will get it figured out.

BillPa
04-19-2014, 08:40 PM
I think a half mm (.020") bore difference would be a blowup.

Oh, I dunno. I know a clown (don't ask!) who fired a 308 Win round in a 280 Imp chamber. Windage was perfect but elevation was about an inch low at 100. No damage to the rifle, the shooter's ego on the other hand ......:p

Bill

eddiesindian
04-20-2014, 11:11 PM

I wondered almost the same thing....
At this point?........almost anything is possible.

eddiesindian
04-20-2014, 11:11 PM
I thought about that too, and I have a 243, should have held a bullet upto the barrel to see. The thing is, this isn't really a sight in problem per say, the rifle is not shooting where the bore is pointing, by alot-more than any scope has available in adjustment. I calculate something like 7 or 8 ft at 100 yrds. Savage will get it figured out.

roger that.......

04-21-2014, 06:22 AM
Oh, I dunno. I know a clown (don't ask!) who fired a 308 Win round in a 280 Imp chamber. Windage was perfect but elevation was about an inch low at 100. No damage to the rifle, the shooter's ego on the other hand ......:p

I bet the copper fouling on that shot was horrendous!

SKami
05-21-2014, 10:00 AM
Just to update, savage has replaced the barrel, it's being proof tested today should have it back in about a week. Incidentally I've purchased two more savages, a model 11 cabelas exclusive "prairie dog" in 22/250-Boyd's thumbhole pillar/bedded action shoots lights out! Model 110 action/shilen select match varmint barrel 1:8 twist, waiting on stock. Thanks to all, for help and advice!

SKami
07-23-2014, 11:55 AM
After the last post, I believed this rifle would be sent out by early June, it's now July 23rd-no rifle, been told for the last 6+ weeks their waiting on ammo! told them I'd send it to them! Finally got tired of the run around and told them to send it out anyway. Very poor service in my opinion, even Midway gets ammo in faster than this, I know I've been on their waiting list for .260 stuff and always get notified within a week or ten days for it.

bsekf
07-23-2014, 01:17 PM
Shaprshooter nailed it! If it is that far off, you can tell with the naked eye. If the bore is drilled that far off or the threads are that crooked, you couldn't see through it to bore sight.

Bill

SKami
07-24-2014, 09:27 AM
I don't believe it was a "warped" barrel, as I feel the same-you could not look down the bore. I have a safe full of firearms, all sighted in, in three shots, all .75 moa or better with proper load work up and if I do my part. Savage reported the barrel was replaced, I assume they tested or checked something before they slapped a new barrel on it. 3 months is an awfully long time to wait for "ammo". And the thing is, Savage never contacted me, I called them for updates. I wasted a good bit of factory ammo trying to get this thing on paper, and honestly if I was at a public range, or shooting over concrete, it may have been very dangerous. I believe it was an out of round bore/muzzle or very bad crown. I don't have the tools to check these things, but obviously something was amiss, or Savage would not have told me the barrel was replaced. Suffice it to say, it's going to a gunsmith the minute I get it back, to be sure( on my dime!). I feel customer service is lacking at this point!

lucky_13
07-24-2014, 10:10 PM
I have a Model 12 260 LRP that has been at Savage now for over a month. I had a Vortex Viper PST on it with 64 MOA of side to side adjustment. With the knob turned as far as it would go, I was still 4 inches to the right at 100 yards. That's 36 inches right at mechanical zero. I was told today, after hearing that my rifle is still sitting at the range after 2 weeks, that Savage is waiting for ammo to come in before they can even test my rifle to see if what I say is accurate.

Don't worry about it. There are a bunch of bad LRPs out there right now. Particularly the .260s for some reason. Savage will make it right.

SKami
07-25-2014, 08:09 AM
I'm sure savage will, just a bit frustrated. Our season in northeast wisconsin is a short one (at least recently), half the summer is gone. I still think 3 months is a long time for warranty work.

sixonetonoffun
07-25-2014, 12:54 PM
I have one scope thats off crazy like this but once you get it aligned optically centered (between it and the savage tilt) it.takes 30 moa to get there. Once thats done its.fine. travels full range and is repeatable. In my case its more.scope.then rifle. I'd send it in but don't want.to be without it.

SKami
07-26-2014, 10:12 AM
Scope or mounts were the first things I suspected, but tried three different scopes off of known rifles, and went through a number of different mounts-so I pretty much ruled those out. The thing is, I have a M11 Prarie Dog in 22/250 that shoots 3touching at 100yrds, and recently finished a M110LA, with a Shilen Select Match in .243 that also shoots lights out at 100 anyway-so although I'm not necessarily "brand loyal" I do have other Savage rifles that I'm quite pleased with, and am familiar with the possible causes. Hopefully if/when I get it back, it will be as good as the others.

SKami
08-03-2014, 11:33 AM
http://i1368.photobucket.com/albums/ag198/Steven_Kaminski/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-04/45780AA6-8CB0-46B7-92F2-DD38A06699E6_zpssiqa1aag.jpg (http://s1368.photobucket.com/user/Steven_Kaminski/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-04/45780AA6-8CB0-46B7-92F2-DD38A06699E6_zpssiqa1aag.jpg.html)http://i1368.photobucket.com/albums/ag198/Steven_Kaminski/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-04/588180B7-BF9D-4C25-A244-2DC819911756_zpsb88auyle.jpg (http://s1368.photobucket.com/user/Steven_Kaminski/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-04/588180B7-BF9D-4C25-A244-2DC819911756_zpsb88auyle.jpg.html)
So after a long wait, I finally got it back-slapped on the new Vortex I bought for it, bore sighted it, 3 shots-I'm doing load development, after some testing, settled on a load of H4350, 140grn AMAX's,2.87 COAL. Showing promise with less than 60 rounds thru it! I'm pretty happy!