PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal?

Tweesdad
03-21-2010, 11:04 AM
Hello to all. I am brand new to this site, but a longtime Savage owner and shooter. I have 4.
In any case, a few months ago I was walking through my local Gander Mt. store, and saw a Stevens Mod. 200, with iron sights, in .243 Win, NIB.
Asked them for a price, and since I was planning to get a .243, decided to buy it on the spot.
I bought a box of Hornady Custom 95 gr. loads, and took it all home.
Mounted a scope a few days later, and took the thing out to the range.
Now, here is the result.
After thoroughly cleaning the gun, I fired 1 round at 100 yards just to see where it hit. As luck would have it, it was 4 3/4 inches off the 'X' at 8:00.
I adjusted the sight, and then fired 3 for group. I got a group of just under 5/8" with the second, third, and fourth shot fired out of this rifle.
I continued shooting, and the largest group for the day was 5 shots into 1 1/4' at 200 yards.
My question, is this normal for a Stevens, or did I get very lucky? How the heck can Savage make this accurate a rifle, and sell it for what it does?
Unbelievable accuracy at this or any other price.
Thought I would pass it on.
Tweesdad

Dirk
03-21-2010, 11:38 AM
I think you should sell that POS and buy something that can REALLY shoot! ;D

P.S. I think you got a keeper.

dfrosch
03-21-2010, 11:52 AM
That's not bad. But it might even tighten up a little once you break the barrel in, say around 100 rounds. :o

Definitely a keeper. ;D

Oh, and welcome to the forum. Join up and we'll help you spend a lot more money. ::)

Dana

SFLEFTY
03-21-2010, 11:53 AM
I agree with Dirk's second line. The answer to your questions is Yes and Yes. Your rifle is extraordinary, and yet stories like that are not uncommon here. Doesn't leave much room for improving with reloads does it? It scares me a little because I just bought a new 243 for the action. I may be crazy to sell the barrel. Oh yes, members here talk about how barrels often shoot best after about a 100 rounds or so also. Amazing stuff. Welcome!

slurpin dog
03-21-2010, 01:26 PM
Go back and buy another one to see if it also shoots that well. If it does, I'll............TAKE IT. ;D ;D ;D

dolomite_supafly
03-21-2010, 02:36 PM
I have a 223 Stevens that will shoot .3's pretty regularly with handloads. I suspect yours will top that with handloads as mine only shot 3/4" with factory ammo it liked. Also, mine shoots best when fouled and after I had a few hundred rounds down the tube.

You definitely have a keeper now get a SSS trigger and bring out the full potential ofthat Stevens.

Dolomite

GaCop
03-22-2010, 06:04 AM
I recently finished a 223 build with a 1/7 twist SS fluted Savage barrel. I fired it for the first time last weekend with handloads using Berger 70, 75 and 80 grain VLDs in Lapua brass. Groups at 100 yards ran .669", .635" and .620". It really liked the 80 grain Bergers seated about .010" off the lands.

Tom

Tweesdad
03-24-2010, 02:24 PM
Hi again
Well, here it is 2:00PM and I have just returned from the gun club range. I took the .243, and since 'chuck season is almost upon me, I decided to see how it would handle 55 gr. 'chuck loads.
As I have not bought any .243 bullets yet, I went with the Federal Premium 55 gr. Nosler BT factory load. That's all I was able to get around here in the 55 gr. bullet weight I wanted. At least I will be able to re-use the brass.
Anyway, considering the fact that I have never had too much luck with Federal ammo, I wasn't expecting too much.
I was sort of pleasantly suprised. After getting sighted in with the load, I got serious and went for group using a Weaver KT-15 scope, off a bench.
I fired a total of four 3 shot groups, and one 5 shot group. Throwing out the second three shot group due to a serious flinch, I was left with three 3 shotter with a group size averaging .878". Not bad for a factory load.
I let the barrel cool, ran a bristle brush and 3 patches through it and went for the 5 shotter. Grouped .967 center to center widest holes.
Now, it's time to get the components, and make this gun really perform.
Like I said, I don't know how they sell a gun of this quality for the price.
Thought you all might be interested.