PDA

View Full Version : Powder can left open 2 days

foxx
04-13-2014, 11:32 PM
Left about 1/4 pound of Varget in my RCBS powder measurer and trickler yesterday morning. Dehumidifier is sitting right next to it, comes on intermittently with a setting for 55%. Have had it on for a week and the bucket is half full... I hate to throw out the powder, but how do I know if it has altered a bit? Do I mix it into a larger amount of fresh powder and forget about it? I guess I am asking mostly b/c I have never really had good luck with Varget, but thought I'd try some in my new .308. Because it's new, I won't be able to judge whether the powder has changed a bit or not.

Mike Vegas
04-13-2014, 11:46 PM
I have powders left out for 4-7 months at a time in my RCBS 1500 and they shot the same like fresh powder. But then again I live in a dry heat state. I really doubt powder will go bad that easily, unless water made contact with the powder...

bootsmcguire
04-14-2014, 12:09 AM
I have powders left out for 4-7 months at a time in my RCBS 1500 and they shot the same like fresh powder. But then again I live in a dry heat state. I really doubt powder will go bad that easily, unless water made contact with the powder...

Totally agree. I have left powder in the hopper for a couple weeks at a time and have had no ill effects. My loading area is in my basement and I too have a dehumidifier running not 15ft away. I keep mine at 45% but still, if its not super humid and no water actually contacted the powder I wouldn't have any worries.

foxx
04-14-2014, 12:40 AM
Thanks, guys.

the Ranger
04-14-2014, 11:20 AM
i leave powder in the hopper of my shot shell loader all the time, it doesn't seem to have effected that powder at all. the lid doesn't really seal. I know, not the same as rifle cartridge, but take it for what it's worth.

emtrescue6
04-14-2014, 11:39 AM
I wouldn't sweat it Foxx, the humidity hasn't been that high here in MI yet and it should be fine...like you, I am not a Varget fan, but even it should be fine for a day or three without any concern.

Patch700
04-16-2014, 10:29 PM
..... If that was 4831SC I'd say it's toast and you should sell my whatever quantities you have left lol...

Bike Effects
04-16-2014, 10:56 PM
Send it to me for testing. You can't be too careful.

foxx
04-16-2014, 11:31 PM
LOL You guys don't know how funny but true that all is...

With other calibers, I have not had good luck so far with Varget, and no one around here does... I actually sold the 5 pounds I have of it to one of our brothers here but we haven't been able to get together yet to make the delivery... anyhow, I went ahead and loaded up some test loads from a partial bottle I have. Just had to try it with the 308. No worries, Bro, I can get all I want to replace it if I decide I like it. What I have is still yours. :) Really.

Anyhow, I still have not been able to get out and test it yet.

Patch, I am liking 4831SC, too. It works wonders in my 270WSM. Won't be needing to unload that anytime soon. :)

Patch700
04-17-2014, 12:14 AM
LOL You guys don't know how funny but true that all is...

With other calibers, I have not had good luck so far with Varget, and no one around here does... I actually sold the 5 pounds I have of it to one of our brothers here but we haven't been able to get together yet to make the delivery... anyhow, I went ahead and loaded up some test loads from a partial bottle I have. Just had to try it with the 308. No worries, Bro, I can get all I want to replace it if I decide I like it. What I have is still yours. :) Really.

Anyhow, I still have not been able to get out and test it yet.

Patch, I am liking 4831SC, too. It works wonders in my 270WSM. Won't be needing to unload that anytime soon. :)

I have enough to make it through one more barrel so HOPEFULLY I'll get some before too long lol... I still have a few pounds of N-160 that has been a very nice powder as well for me , using more or less same charges as 4831sc but burns cleaner... Sadly the source for my N-160 has dried up too.. If you get the chance to try a pound of N-160 it'd be worth you while , the 560 will get you better velocities but it's quite hard on the pipe as compared to 160. Haven't tried it with magnum primers tho , just 210M's.

Stockrex
04-17-2014, 07:21 AM
Left about 1/4 pound of Varget in my RCBS powder measurer and trickler yesterday morning. Dehumidifier is sitting right next to it, comes on intermittently with a setting for 55%. Have had it on for a week and the bucket is half full... I hate to throw out the powder, but how do I know if it has altered a bit? Do I mix it into a larger amount of fresh powder and forget about it? I guess I am asking mostly b/c I have never really had good luck with Varget, but thought I'd try some in my new .308. Because it's new, I won't be able to judge whether the powder has changed a bit or not.

foxx, you have the dehumifier out already? with the heat being on still in MI it is pretty dry...but that could be here in GR