PDA

View Full Version : Converting 7mm Rem Ultra Mag to .338 Lapua

SrD21
04-13-2014, 02:07 AM
So I have a Savage 111 chambered in 7mm Rem Ultra Mag and am gonna be using it on a build. I want to make a truly capable long range rifle for a decent price. My question is, in sticking to the long action whats the most capable of distance and accuracy caliber for precision shooting that my rifle can handle. I want to go no bigger than 28" on the barrel but preffer 26".

Elgin
04-13-2014, 02:25 AM
This seems like a hot topic lately. Check out this thread (http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?35001-338-lapua-small-shank) which has links to a couple of other threads.

Long story short… don't do it.

SrD21
04-13-2014, 02:50 AM
Thanks man, new question on top of that then. What would be the best precision long range caliber I could go to while wanting to keep my barrel no bigger than 28"

Jamie
04-13-2014, 11:17 AM
What do you call long range? What will be the max hunting range for the rig? What is the max target range for it? There are very few things a 180 Berger VLD in a 7mm RUM can't solve. If you really want a .338 then look at the .338 RUM, ballistic equivalent to the Lapua (Lapua just gets the press). If you need more than that then look at the .338 Edge. Faster, cheaper and safer (in a Savage) than the Lapua.

SrD21
04-14-2014, 12:10 AM
Well Im not planning on using it for hunting, Im looking to do target. And im not looking to reach a specific range exactly im just looking for the best round to reach as far and accurate as possible that my LA can handle. I have alot of open land to shoot on and just want to see what i can reach. I have plenty of training in lr precision shooting so the opperator part is down(usmc 0317). Most of my shooting has been in .308 and im just looking for the best my rifle can handle. I dont want to go any bigger than a 28" but prefably a 26" barrel and will be dropping it into a tbd stock and bedding it and hopefully soon enough truing the action and will be running a vortex pst 6-24x50mm scope

shoalwater
04-14-2014, 09:33 AM
The 7Rum you have is very capable of long range with some Berger 180gr Hybrids, but if you truly want to push as far as possible, then build a 338 Edge. All you would have to do is swap the barrel, and it will do everything a 338 Lapua will do and more.