PDA

View Full Version : Nosler Custom Competition .30-175gr sand?

Warthog
03-21-2010, 02:12 AM
I recently bought a box of 175 grain Nosler Custom Competition bullets. As I weighed them I noticed something like sand coming out of the small hollow points. I worked on one bullet for five minutes with a needle, but could not get it all out. I sent the box back to Midway and sent an email to Nosler. To my suprise I received a prompt reply from John Nosler which stated;

"It is unfortunate that you received bullets with the shell blast still in the box. We use a form of composite shells that won’t harm your barrel, but I understand mistakening it for sand. There is a procedure we use to remove all the blast that apparently wasn’t followed correctly. I apologize for your inconvenience. I hope you try the product in the future as we are very proud of our performance of those bullets."

He followed with an email stating;

"Just an FYI, our inspection manager has implemented a new procedure to
eliminate any residue of composite. I agree, if you spend any amount on
a new rifle, you don't want to shoot anything but copper bullets down
it!

Thanks for your heads up. The worst thing is nobody ever reporting from
the field to a company before its too late. Look at the car companies."

I like the Customer service and I will be trying these bullets again. Has anyone compared them to Nosler ballistic Tip or Match King?

GaCop
03-23-2010, 06:40 AM
I've tried them in a few calibers and find I usually get a little better accuracy than the SMKs. Often, the Comps and the Ballistic Tips run neck and neck for accuracy in my 308 and 7/08.

Warthog
03-24-2010, 09:03 AM
All-
I received another batch of Nosler Custom Competition 175 grain. I didn't find any grit, so I think the batch i got before was one which missed a cleaning step. I must be difficult to clean out such a small hole. Nosler seems to have good customer service. It would be good to have some competition for Sierra.