PDA

View Full Version : bottom metal and mag?

rjsixgun
04-11-2014, 06:15 PM
Im converting a Stevens 200 308 to be a detachable mag. I'll be ordering a stock from boyds. But who makes a good bottom metal and mags?
I already have 2 rifles that use the Savage mags but was thinking about doing the next rifle a little different.

Any opinions and photos welcome. I see there are many different companies offering differant styles.

Jhoover1973
04-11-2014, 07:30 PM
CDI Precision or Accurate Mags.

rjsixgun
04-12-2014, 01:18 PM
Any differance between the 2? What makes 1 better than the other?

LRJammer
04-12-2014, 11:18 PM
The CDI uses Accuracy International AICS mags. Accurate makes a slightly cheaper version of the AI mag. Do yourself a favor, if you go the CDI route, get Genuine AI mags. I tried saving a little money like that and guess what, I am still going to have to go by AI mags to get rid of a problem created by poor copies. You cant beat AI for quality and Accurate or Alpha mags arent that much cheaper than the real thing.

rjsixgun
04-13-2014, 01:00 AM
So cdi is preferred for the bottome metal? But not mags

LRJammer
04-13-2014, 01:53 AM
The CDI bottom metal is one of the better bottom metal units available for the Savage. They dont make magazines. The CDI is designed to use the AICS pattern magazines as they are pretty much the industry standard. A little money can be saved by buying the non-AI mags (Alpha or Accurate), but their quality is just not up to par with the AI and they really arent much cheaper. No matter how you slice it, the mags are high, regardless of brand. Better off spending a few bucks more for the genuine article instead of saving a few bucks, just to figure out that you are going to have to replace them anyway.

rjsixgun
04-13-2014, 09:24 AM
So bottoms made by Pacific Tool, Surgeon, AccurateMag and others are a "no go"?
What gives the CDI the edge over the others?

chukarmandoo
04-13-2014, 10:14 AM
I don't think it is the bottom metal as much as it is the magazines? The problem is almost always the magazine!

LRJammer
04-13-2014, 10:20 AM
I don't think it is the bottom metal as much as it is the magazines? The problem is almost always the magazine!

Correct. They are all designed to use the same magazine and thus, there really isnt all that much difference. CDI is just popular and a reasonable valued. Some of them pretty high and dont really offer much advantage for the price difference.

rjsixgun
04-13-2014, 12:06 PM
Ah, ok now I'm beginning to see the light!
So my next question would be......
I see some companies make the trigger guard and mag well 1 piece and othets make it in 2 separate pieces. Is there a benifit of one or the other?

LRJammer
04-13-2014, 01:52 PM
Ah, ok now I'm beginning to see the light!
So my next question would be......
I see some companies make the trigger guard and mag well 1 piece and othets make it in 2 separate pieces. Is there a benifit of one or the other?

I dont have any experience with a 2 piece version and am inclined to think that I am unlikely to try. I suspect the one single piece would be stronger.

chukarmandoo
04-13-2014, 06:33 PM
Accurate-Mag is two piece. That is what came on the FCP-SR's.