PDA

View Full Version : Savage 116

john.hodges.77
04-11-2014, 06:48 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/11/a4yqy3ag.jpg just got a savage 116 any body else have one or know about them?

Hotolds442
04-11-2014, 07:25 PM
I have a couple of them, both LH versions.

clintsrv
04-11-2014, 09:03 PM
I have a nice Model 16 300 WSM. Very nice hunter with hinged floor plate. Thank God it has the factory brake too!! It can regularly shoot 1 MOA out to 400yds with the lead sled and factory ammo. Probably further but that's maxing out my property line. Excellent rifle and it looks great.

Big Medicine
04-13-2014, 09:01 PM
I have two 116 weather warriors, a 30-06, and a .243, great shooting rifles.

the Ranger
04-14-2014, 02:29 PM
yep, bought a new one that looked about like that a couple of months ago, except the bolt handle is on the other side. took the .300Win mag barrel off and put on a .264Win mag barrel. still need to clearance the barrel channel in the stock for the magnum contour barrel before I can shoot it.

big honkin jeep
04-14-2014, 06:04 PM
The 116s are my favorites and I have a couple of leftys myself. Mine are older models but stupid accurate just the way they came. I love to tinker but my 116s shoot so amazingly well after a little load development that I wont mess with them.
If this thread is any indication they ought to be ramping up production rather than cutting back. Especially left handed models LOL.
I still cant figure out why they don't offer a fully loaded factory production version of the 116 as a flagship like they did starting in the mid 1990s with all the bells and whistles on it as a package.
Something like the bear hunter (camo not necessary black is fine) except in standard long action calibers suitable for a wide range of medium and large game.
I don't mind paying a little more but just don't want to pay the call and have it built price which I have checked :disillusionment:. I'd really really love to have another 116FLCSAK only in 25-06 this time.
I guess I'll just keep on dreaming

RunNGun
04-15-2014, 04:05 PM
I have one in 270WSM. I had planned on getting a Boyds stock for it, but it shoots so well with the tupperware I don't want to mess with it. A buddy of mine has one in 223 that shot the best 200yd group I've ever seen, three shots right around .540! I watched him shoot it through the spotting scope - seeing is believing! That was only one time but it will shoot a wide variety of ammo MOA or better.

jonnybullslayer
04-16-2014, 10:54 AM
I've got two for my girls in 270 WSM that also shoot lights out. My oldest daughter affectionately refers to hers as "One Shot Killer Maggie." She's taken three deer, a bear, and an elk all with one shot. Younger daughter has only had hers a year, but she's bagged a caribou with one shot as well. I also have one in 338 that I put in a classic stock. It shoots ok, but I think it needs bedded. Lastly, I have one in 300 RUM laid in a BVSS stock. Haven't shot it yet, but just loaded some test rounds and will start shooting it as soon as my new chrono gets here. We've been pleased with the 16/116 line.