PDA

View Full Version : Savage 12bvss 22-250 new gun break in suggestions?

yotehtr1
04-11-2014, 06:05 AM
I just bought a new model 12 bvss in 22-250 and was curious what if anything should be done to properly break in the barrel? Ive never done anything besides simply shoot a rifle but Ive heard guys talk about breaking guns in with special bullets and certain cleaning procedures in order to supposedly get better accuracy. Im gonna be using this gun for a groundhog gun here in western pa. Shots are usually anywhere between 50 and 500. I do handload currently for another 22-250 so Im sure I will for this one too. Any tips for breaking in? Is it even necessary? Thank you!

JW
04-11-2014, 06:58 AM
I would clean it first and go shoot
Several methods of break in out there, but it comes down to what you think is the best method
Jack

pdog2062
04-11-2014, 08:03 AM
I have tried several methods of break-ins,could not tell they made any difference.Now I use two methods.One is I break it in just like I shoot it,the other is to shoot it like I stole it.Works for me.

Jetpig
04-11-2014, 08:07 AM
Clean it, shoot it! Don't let it get too hot!

jonbearman
04-11-2014, 09:51 AM
I clean with normal solvent the first time,then I clean it again with jb bore paste before ever firing it.I have gotten little metal filings out with JB long before I go to the range.Then at the range I shoot one clean one ten times,then shoot 3 and clean 5 times and after that if it is still laying heavy copper I use tubbs final finish bullets to lightly lap the factory barrel.If it is a custom barrel do the same break in and no tubbs final finish.

yotehtr1
04-11-2014, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the help everyone! I've usually done the "shoot it like you stole it method" lol. I think I might go ahead and try something along jonbearman's method. Would take a lot of time but I don't see how it would hurt anything. It's not a custom barrel it's the factory heavy fluted setup. Is there any downfall to the tubbs bullets? That's the only part I'm iffy on. Can you over due it with those or is there no danger of that? I usually just use hoppes no 9 is that an acceptable cleaner or is there better choices? Thanks

Mike Vegas
04-11-2014, 02:46 PM
Like others said, clean it and shoot it... Every time you run a bore brush through it you shorten the barrel's life and every time you clean the barrel you will have to foul your barrel again...

wbm
04-11-2014, 05:00 PM
+3 Clean it, shoot it till accuracy falls off.

yotehtr1
04-12-2014, 10:10 PM
Thanks for all the help everyone!

110_Tactical
04-12-2014, 11:22 PM
but Ive heard guys talk about breaking guns in with special bullets and certain cleaning procedures in order to supposedly get better accuracy.
Actually, breaking-in a barrel is to get it to copper foul less. That way you will not have to clean it as often before precision suffers.