PDA

View Full Version : How do I pick a height and size for the rear bag?

ghostwriter247
04-10-2014, 08:33 PM
I've been looking at pictures of rear bags and they seem high to me? Do u pick a height and adjust to it or figure out what height u normally shoot from in prone and go from there? I had been looking at protektors and seb bags.

Also if I want to shoot longer ranges will any size bag work or are most going with the large footprint bags?

Thanks

Gyro
04-12-2014, 01:37 PM
This is just a thought. Get your rifle with scope and front rest or bipod set up and then get into your normal comfortable shooting position and looking at the target. Make sure your buttstock is adjusted to your comfortable position. Once you are in place with the stock in shoulder, have someone measure from your stock where you would have a bag in place. That would be how I would start.

Another direction to take would be to call a bag manufacturer and see what words of wisdom they might have.

Gyro
04-12-2014, 09:11 PM
Here is another link on this subject:

http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?30684-Rear-bag

ghostwriter247
04-13-2014, 01:16 AM
Thanks for the link.

short round
05-03-2014, 01:41 AM
Can make a difference if shooting uphill or downhill, higher for down & lower for up.

JCalhoun
05-04-2014, 06:26 PM
I use a rather low Protektor bag and let it ride on top of spacers I made from a 1X6 and 2X6 lumber.

BradH
05-05-2014, 12:28 PM
Gyro mentioned comfort, that's the first thing I'd consider. I've seen young, flexible, skinny guys with very low bags. Old, stiff necked, big guys like myself may need a tall bag or spacer blocks like JCalhoun mentioned. I've used the spacer blocks and now have a custom made tall bag. Both work well but I did glue 3/8" wood strips to the top of the spacer block to keep the bag centered. The Edgewood bag I'm using now has 1/2" between the ears and a sloped top to match my Savage F/TR. When shooting up or down hill I adjust the bipod and leave bag height the same.