PDA

View Full Version : Choate Stock Help

Mike Vegas
04-10-2014, 07:16 PM
Hello fellow shooters! I am in a process of buying this stock for my Savage 12 and based on my research this particular model (center feed 223) has a lug screw space of 4.4" now I am very certain that a Savage 12 stock is the same as a Savage 10 stock... If I were to buy this stock at MidwayUSA

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/761001/choate-tactical-rifle-stock-savage-10-short-action-center-feed-with-44-screw-spacing-detachable-magazine-composite-black?cm_vc=ProductFinding

does this stock comes with a DBM or do I have to buy that separately? Last question is, if I were to purchase this what length of recoil lug screw LENGTH do I need and thread pitch?

Thank you much!!!
Mike

Texas Solo
04-10-2014, 07:43 PM
I have that same stock.
It is inletted for the DBM, but no, it doesn't come with it. You are to reuse your current bottom metal and mag.
If you currently have a blind mag, which I think all #12's do, you'll need to buy those parts from Savage...in which case you may need different screws.
That .440" screw spacing is for short actions, like a .223 or .308. What caliber do you have?

foxx
04-10-2014, 07:43 PM
I am quite certain stocks do not include magazines.

If your current screw is not long enough for it, just take it to a hardware store and buy one longer. It can be easily cut and filed smooth so as to work with whatever stock you get.

short round
04-10-2014, 07:55 PM
You are correct, 10/12 are same, screws are 1/4x28, dont know length,can be found at hardware store, but the Choate stocks I have came with screws & parts to adjust length of pull. I dont know about bottom metal.

Mike Vegas
04-10-2014, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the quick reply gents! I have a center feed short action .223 (Savage 12 BTCSS) and it does come with the DBM and detachable Magazine.

I was hoping to get the precise length and thread pitch so I can order it together... Last resort would be going to the store like FOXX suggested...

EDIT: thanks SHORT ROUND for that info...

EMTSmokeeater681
04-21-2014, 04:57 PM
I have this same stock in a 308 version and its does every thing it say it does and then some. This stock is on a bottom bolt release 308 10 fcp-k. I use Dark Eagle mags with stock dbm

Mike Vegas
04-30-2014, 01:28 PM
Thanks guys for the help! Anyone know the actual length of the action screws needed for this stock? I just went ahead and purchased the choate stock from MidwayUSA which they had a $45 off last week for anything $225 or more.

From what I've searched, the front screw is too short and the back screw is too long. WTH?!

jeder212
04-30-2014, 05:16 PM
Thanks guys for the help! Anyone know the actual length of the action screws needed for this stock? I just went ahead and purchased the choate stock from MidwayUSA which they had a $45 off last week for anything $225 or more.

From what I've searched, the front screw is too short and the back screw is too long. WTH?!

I bought mine used from an individual, with no action screws. I called Choate, explained that I bought the stock used, and would like to buy a set of screws. The lady took my mailing address and said they would get them in the mail that day.... No charge!

Mike Vegas
04-30-2014, 05:24 PM
Hey thanks! I'll give them a call!