PDA

View Full Version : Reloading Equipment question

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

foxx
05-15-2014, 03:49 PM
I also prefer my RCBS balance scale to my cheap digital scale. I always "zero" my balance scale before using, but I also drew and outline around the feet of the scale to serve as reference points and I can tell if it has shifted or moved at all. Also marked the "wheel/foot" and the top of the bench with an index mark. Digital scale is good for weighing water-filled cases, etc.

I have a chrony, have played with it a little, but have not got my money out of it yet. I am thinking it might help if I get reliable velocity figures and record them for future reference, then when something changes, like bullet choice or something, I can try to reload to match the prior velocity, but I don't know. Maybe if I have trouble discriminating between a few loads within the same fairly large node, the chrony might show me which load is more precise when my shooting skills don't reveal it... Not really sure. So far I have the feeling, like Yobuck, that my chrony is not as reliable as the equipment I am trying to test/measure.

tufrthnails
05-16-2014, 12:34 AM
Okay so I watched some more reloading vids and went back to my manuals and after a very slow process I managed to load 15 rounds of .223rem went with 19gr of imr4198 55gr vmax win sr primers. I measured prob 50 loads before I ever filled any charges. Partially because it took me that long to get the powder measure dialed into 19gr consistently and partially because it said to run a lb of powder through the measure. one thing I forgot to do was weigh each case empty and see how much variance there was in the weight of the cases, but after I charged them I did weigh them and was surprised to see a full grain of variance in the weight of the loaded cases is that normal? also that rcbs hand primer jacked up a few primers but I think I got the hang of it. I was trying to load 20 cases and ended up with 15 shootable cases for various reasons.

foxx
05-16-2014, 12:39 AM
I would not worry about the weight of the cases. More important, I think, is the water volume of the cases. I don't think you are at a point, yet, that it is worth even worrying about that, either.

tufrthnails
05-16-2014, 01:09 AM
Okay thanks

Oscarflytyer
05-16-2014, 11:19 AM
Okay so I watched some more reloading vids and went back to my manuals and after a very slow process I managed to load 15 rounds of .223rem went with 19gr of imr4198 55gr vmax win sr primers. I measured prob 50 loads before I ever filled any charges. Partially because it took me that long to get the powder measure dialed into 19gr consistently and partially because it said to run a lb of powder through the measure. one thing I forgot to do was weigh each case empty and see how much variance there was in the weight of the cases, but after I charged them I did weigh them and was surprised to see a full grain of variance in the weight of the loaded cases is that normal? also that rcbs hand primer jacked up a few primers but I think I got the hang of it. I was trying to load 20 cases and ended up with 15 shootable cases for various reasons.

Regarding the RCBS hand primer... Mine is 30 years old. Can't get it anymore. I love it! But they have a newer version. From pix I have seen, I don't like it. Never held it/used it. Sure there are others/better out there, but no experience. Sorry.

tufrthnails
05-16-2014, 11:42 AM
shot the rounds this morning. All flew with no probs and the cases looked good. i will say the vmax bullet is pretty cool thing pops a waterjug. Shot some M193 to campare. I started by firing 1 round outstretched into safe backstop. Then 2 rounds to see if they were going to feed well. Them 3 sep jugs. Then once I felt comfortable I cycled the rest at a high rate of fire from the hip! (still a bit leary!)

nordster0
05-17-2014, 03:31 PM
The Lee Classic Cast Turret Press. A good, solid semi-progressive press that will load good quality ammo for almost any handgun or rifle. Low cost tooling. Very easy to change over and you have complete control over each and every phase of the process.
I own 7 different presses, one a progressive. If I were to start over from scratch today, I would get this press. "Kits" may or may not contain all that you need. Indeed, they may contain one or more undesirable tools. If you have access to veteran handloaders, check out their "caves" and see what they have. Ask questions, etc.

I agree with most of the other posts about reloading manuals. Get at least two and READ them. Looking at the load data sections
does not constitute READING the book. Sit down and read the entire manual. I have read all of mine at least twice. Lee's Modern Reloading 2nd edition and Lyman's Reloading Handbook are two of the best to have.

If, after you are aquainted with the reloading process, you find that you need to produce more volume, consider a progressive press. If I were to get another, I would strongly consider the Hornady Lock n Load progressive. Knowing what I know about progressive units, the tooling costs are a major consideration if you load for a number of calibers. Ease of changeover is also something worthy of thought.

No one of us as forum members, has THE RIGHT answer for you. You have to make an informed decision and then live with it. If you try something and are not satisfied, sell it and try something else. I have handloaded for 32 years and I don't have all that I started with. That's life. Enjoy the journey. Be safe. Happy shooting!

TL

tufrthnails
05-20-2014, 08:29 PM
Loaded 50 rds of .270win last night. shot one to check case before loading the rest. Case looked good. hoping to get to the range thursday. Loaded them with H1000 at it's minimium 61gr because of it being a compressed load. i seriously need to get a powder trickler. I loaded 3 different kind of cases. the hornady cases definitely hold more powder. The hand primer worked flawlessly with the WLR primers. recipe is 130gr hornady interlock, 61gr of H1000, 3 cases Remington, Federal, and Hornady, and Winchester Large Rifle Primers. I did make one mistake and banged the case holder with 49 cases primed and powdered spilling powder now that was a bit frustrating to dump all those cases and start over I weighed every 5th powder throw and they seemed a lot closer then the .223 all being within a few tenths of a grain of 61 grs. I double charged one case which made a hell of a mess pretty freaking obvious when I did it. I'll update how they shoot and the .223 shoots accuracy wise when I get to the range.

fgw_in_fla
05-20-2014, 08:50 PM
While you're looking to get a trickler, use the scooper spoons that come In the die kit. If you don't have one, make one out of a piece of card stock or use a regular spoon.
Once you get used to throwing a light charge and trickling up to weight with a spoon, it goes pretty quick. I used a trickler for a few years before I started using a spoon. I found I can go a little faster with a spoon.

On that .270.
Got any H4831? I found it to be a good powder for the .270 using 130's and 150's (Nosler BT). I had excellent results with it. Flat shooting up to 150 and a 2" drop at 200yds. If you don't have any or can't find any, take a ride over and I'll loan you a can. I keep several lbs. for my .270
And be careful with those doubles and overcharges. Remember the saying about "assembling the components to create a controlled explosion 3" from your face?"....

tufrthnails
05-20-2014, 09:00 PM
Yes sir I remember and I will try the spoon trick. No i don't have any H4831 the local stores aren't much help only one is carrying much of anything and I hate to pay the hazmat fee for a lbs of powder. I will talk to the guys at the LGS and see if I can get them to order some in. They got me some primers in pretty quick. I may take you up on the ride over would love to see how you have your bench organized I have changed mine up 3 times already and only loaded three times seems I find a more comfortable arrangment for something everytime. Hopefully saturday i will have time to get the hornady LNL setup. Not planning on using it yet but I hate having something sitting in a box that I can't fiddle with. I got an unopened lbs of Hodgdon Superformance if you would be interested in swapping not sure if you have tried it yet. Jamie bought it thinking I could use it.

fgw_in_fla
05-20-2014, 09:28 PM
Don't feel bad about rearranging the bench numerous times. I had to rearrange mine about 15 times before I got it where it's comfortable for me. I have a Lee Classic on one end and a Lee Turret on the other end. I tried to arrange mine so I'm working form left to right and I still end up piling everything in the middle.

I always migrated toward the 30.06 based cartridges and the .270 was my second love after my beloved '06. After a few years I divorced the .270 and fell for the 25.06. I still shoot the .270 just not as often. I think its a great all around / general purpose cartridge especially here in the land of sun. If you can't kill it with the .270 you should probably be running.
What county did you say were in? I'm here is the south end of Brevard. just south of Melbourne.

tufrthnails
05-20-2014, 09:49 PM
North end of Polk county. Melborne is about a 2 hr run for me. Me and my brother used to surf there and New Symrna/Ponce Inlet a lot now I am to out of shape to chase the bigger Fl waves (hurricane trips).

Oscarflytyer
05-20-2014, 11:22 PM
Loaded 50 rds of .270win last night. shot one to check case before loading the rest. Case looked good. hoping to get to the range thursday. Loaded them with H1000 at it's minimium 61gr because of it being a compressed load. i seriously need to get a powder trickler. I loaded 3 different kind of cases. the hornady cases definitely hold more powder. The hand primer worked flawlessly with the WLR primers. recipe is 130gr hornady interlock, 61gr of H1000, 3 cases Remington, Federal, and Hornady, and Winchester Large Rifle Primers. I did make one mistake and banged the case holder with 49 cases primed and powdered spilling powder now that was a bit frustrating to dump all those cases and start over I weighed every 5th powder throw and they seemed a lot closer then the .223 all being within a few tenths of a grain of 61 grs. I double charged one case which made a hell of a mess pretty freaking obvious when I did it. I'll update how they shoot and the .223 shoots accuracy wise when I get to the range.

Couple case/sizing/finished round 'fit' tips that help.

1) take a sized and trimmed case (no primer) and cycle it in the action. Especially effective in a lever gun, but bolt also. If it doesn't slide right in slick, or bolt closes hard, know you have a sizing issue. Has been a huge help in a particular 99 I have. Told me I MUST use a Small Base sizer die.

2) Make up a dummy round. Sized/trimmed case, no primer, seat a bullet. Again run it through the action. Better yet, 2-3 rnds and cycle them through the action to make sure they cycle. Don't rely blindly on published COAL. Some chambers/throats are short, and some bullets have an ogive in a different location, affecting COAL dimensions in a particular rifle/chamber.

These tips will save you a ton of wasted primers, powder, heartache and pulling/disassembly of loads. It might also save you a blown gun and injury! If you seat a bullet long, and it is in the lands and creates excessive pressure - BAD things happen. If you make the dummy rounds, and see land marks on the bullet when you extract it, or worse, the bullet stays in the tube, you KNOW you have a problem - all w/o any danger, powder loss, etc. You DO NOT want this to happen on the shooting bench!

Oscarflytyer
05-20-2014, 11:27 PM
Couple other tricks. Wipe down powder scales/measures/funnels with dryer sheets. Removes static electricity. Also put couple dryer sheets in with the cases in a tumbler. Sucks up a lot of dust and crap and makes clean up easier, plus prolongs tumbler media life. Last, can get cheap tumbler media from the pet store. crushed walnut hulls. also add a tablespoon or two of comet or ajax. Just make sure, IF you tumble deprimed, make sure you check the flash hole that it doesn't have any media left over in it.

tufrthnails
05-21-2014, 12:17 AM
Thanks for the tips. Especially the dryer sheet trick I did have a lot of floating powder in the measure on the walls.

tufrthnails
05-24-2014, 10:57 PM
Range Report:
Shot the first batch of .270 and 5.56
recipes:
.270 Hornady 130gr interlock
H1000 61.2 gr
3 diff cases Hornady, Remington, Federal
winchester WLR Primer
OAL 3.22 same as factory Federal Fusion that shot the best for me of the Factory loads I have used

.223 55 gr Vmax
IMR4198 19gr
Lake city cases
Winchester WSR Primer
OAL

First the .270 other then a few flyers all 4 round groups were 1" to 1.5" @ 100 yards which is on par with factory loads. No change in Recoil felt from factory loads. Only difference in Cases was the hornady hit 2" left of center and the fed/rem hit 3" right and 1" high of Zero. Zero was verified with factory Fed fusion. Overall very happy with first attempt at loading. Plan to start working loads with H1000 and some powder I acquired to see what I can get out of this rifle, but I wanted a good solid base to know where I was starting. I had lots of touching rounds in groups then the 3rd of 4th would open the group to between 1" and 1.5". I can now see where the Reloaders OCD comes from. Everytime one would pull I would wonder if it had a high or low charge by a tenth or two of powder.

Second the 5.56/.223 This was a bit more of a mystery to start with since I Changed from the Acog I hate to a Sig sauger CCO style sight with no magnification. I started with Factory Ball ammo and got sighted in but had a hard time zeroing because the best I could shoot was 5" 4 round groups. Knowing I was on Paper I swaped to the Vmax and was very happy to see the groups tighten up to 2.25". The ar is definitely not a long range shooter by any means. I am going to play with the powder a bit and see if I can get any better by upping the charge slightly.

fgw_in_fla
05-25-2014, 07:51 AM
61.2gr of H1000?
Hardly leaves enough room in the case for the ignition...

Looks like you're well on your way to becoming an charter member of the Reloader's OCD Support Group.

Are you using a skinny barrel or a fat barrel? Past experience has shown after 4 - 5 rounds fired groups might open up a bit from heat. Fat barrels can be a little more forgiving when warmed up.

scope eye
05-25-2014, 08:00 AM
Are you actually suppose to leave room in the case, this is the first I have head of this, and when exactly were you going to let me in on this nugget of information.

Spanky

fgw_in_fla
05-25-2014, 08:41 AM
Brother Deano,
I've always thought of you as the exception to the rule.

Anyone that uses the bench grinder with a off centered wheel to vibrate his cases to settle the powder so he can get more in them has earned the right to be called the exception to the rule...

tufrthnails
05-25-2014, 02:15 PM
:o
Yes it is a Compressed load according to one manual but not the other. Skinny barrel. We spent 4 hours at the range giving the rifles enough time to cool. I brought the Ar and my wife brought her sig. She has become very good at being patient and letting me do my thing while at the range of course me leaving her there for a half hour a few trips ago helped! Lets just say that was a LONG ride home when I came back from McDonalds to pick her up. I am looking forward to working with the powder you "suggested". Thanks Again.