PDA

View Full Version : Painting Tupperware

Pages : [1] 2

Carphunter
09-06-2009, 01:21 PM
I did some tests with the paints I'm gonna rattle can my rifle with.

Painted a five gallon bucket with some krylon fusion, and some other camo paint from brownells.

noticed both scratch off the smooth plastic pretty easily.

what prep would be good to get the paint to stick to my tupperware stock? I intend to degrease with pure alcohol... but don't know what else to do to it.

Sanding surface a bit to give it a rough texture? or is there another type of paint that works as a good "primer" for this (sticking with rattle-can theme... do not intend to go fancy paint route with dura, cerakote, or that stuff)

pdog06
09-06-2009, 01:36 PM
I would wipe it down with some alcohol. Then I'd coat the stock with a couple coats of primer first, then the Krylon Fusion, then a couple coats of clear. I did mine that way and it worked great.

Carphunter
09-06-2009, 02:35 PM
what primer did you use?

Blue Avenger
09-06-2009, 02:53 PM
look around wally world and you can find plastic primer, that is what I used. I also let it dry the full 3-5 days that the can says between color coats just because I tend to forget to watch close for the 5 min intervals. have only had one paint lift and it was due to second coating at the wrong time

just some dude
09-06-2009, 03:42 PM
i used some alumahyde II from brownells and its the cats meow...for a rattle can finish that will hold up..still have to degrease first but i havent found a winning combo yet wit standard rattle can paint from say lowes or wally world.just my .02

Slick
09-06-2009, 04:07 PM
I would wipe it down with some alcohol. Then I'd coat the stock with a couple coats of primer first, then the Krylon Fusion, then a couple coats of clear. I did mine that way and it worked great.

+1 on alcohol for cleaning and the Krylon "fusion" however, I didn't use any clear coat to finish. Here's a pic of my 10 FP stock that I painted tan and brown. Then I wrapped it in a fishnet and shot the whole thing in OD green to make the tan & brown shadow scales..

http://i311.photobucket.com/albums/kk445/snot-rocket/camostock-1.jpg

I've found that the fusion paints need about a full month to fully "cure" to a point where it's nearly impossible to remove.

kelbro
09-06-2009, 11:00 PM
Preparation and a pair of nitrile gloves is important. Cure time is critical. A week is good. A month is even better. A coat of matte clearcoat also adds to the longevity of your paint job.

bluealtered
09-07-2009, 09:18 AM
Alcohol is all i use on both the stocks as well as scopes i do. The wally camo paint works well and sticks like glue, and i do work my rifles hard somtimes. For this area i use a o.d. green base then use snipes of artist sponge to build the pattern, with desert tan next and just dab of brown to finish it.

If you are going camo, you can cut the artist sponge to make the pattern you want, just dab the top coats on , they will build up faster than you think. It takes about two weeks to cure good, but is useable in 24hrs. If you live in the desert, just reverse the base coat to tan, or whatever. blue

Carphunter
09-07-2009, 11:03 AM
I've got the bulldog flectar stencils i want to try. gonna give it a fall downed foliage color scheme i think.

I've also got pure alcohol to clean it with (rubbing has oil in it).

firemachine69
09-07-2009, 10:44 PM
I've found that the fusion paints need about a full month to fully "cure" to a point where it's nearly impossible to remove.

It states on the Krylon can that the longer it gets to cure before handling (or applying more coats), the more durable the finish will be. Long gone are the days of "go super-thin, and keep building up after an hour".

tinkerer
09-08-2009, 08:28 PM
If your using auto based urethane paints, they need recoats within the hour or after 2 days. But the prep is killer, with sanding, cleaning, primers, etc, etc. And a well equipped paint booth helps.

Larry
Tinkerer

Southernfryedyankee
09-09-2009, 07:57 PM
Rough sand stock (320 grit SP)-acetone-air dry-Krylon fusion or regular spray primer-dry 24 hours- light sand and re prime-wait another 24 hours light sand and reprime-let dry 2 days then spray. I wish I lived in an area that snowed because that white and black on the left was soooooooo awesome, it was my favorite by far

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s176/nylouie516/4sale2.jpg
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s176/nylouie516/4sale-1.jpg

Haybaler
09-09-2009, 11:46 PM
Really like those patterns. Can you share how you did them??? I like the one on the far right.....

Southernfryedyankee
09-10-2009, 07:50 AM
For the pattern on the far right I went through the woods and picked up very slim and thin twigs along with DRY pine needles. For the straighter patterns I used FRESH right off the tree pine needles. I then lay a 2' strip of good sticky tape and lay the pine needles on the tape giving enough room that they will still cover the gun when you lay the stencil on top of the stock. After you have all your pine needles on the tape, run another 2 1/2' piece of tape to seal the stencil up. The added weight keeps the stencil from flying around. Spray paint over the stencil and let sit for 10 minutes remove the stencil and repeat the process till you get the desired pattern

HRstretch
09-10-2009, 08:41 AM
Rough sand stock (320 grit SP)-acetone-air dry-Krylon fusion or regular spray primer-dry 24 hours- light sand and re prime-wait another 24 hours light sand and reprime-let dry 2 days then spray. I wish I lived in an area that snowed because that white and black on the left was soooooooo awesome, it was my favorite by far

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s176/nylouie516/4sale2.jpg
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s176/nylouie516/4sale-1.jpg

Can you take a couple of close up shots of the patterens from a couple of your guns? thank you.

taylorce1
09-10-2009, 10:25 AM
I just painted a Stevens 200 stock for my 6-222 RM build. I obviously removed the action from the stock and took out the sling studs and removed the recoil pad. I then used 200 grit sand paper and sanded down all the mould lines to clean up the stock. I masked everything off that I didn't want primer or paint to get into. I used a snug fitting piece of lumber that I put in the buttstock to hold the rifle by while priming and painting.

I then cleand the stock with Acetone before I rattle can sprayed it with automotive plastic primer from NAPA. I then let it dry for a few days by hanging it in the garage. I then used a tack cloth to remove any dust never touching the stock with my hands. I then used plain textured Rustoleum for paint since I had primed it I wasn't worried about using a plastic paint to make sure it would stick to the stock. Now I just need to go back and clear the whole stock to seal the paint since it is textured it is very easy to get rub marks in it and the clear will prevent that.

Here is a link so you can look at my rifle. http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,25292.msg183746.html#msg183746

Southernfryedyankee
09-10-2009, 11:40 AM
I actually sold all of those stocks already, sorry. I MAY do 1 in the future. I was doing it as a little way to make ends meet but it wasnt going well so I stopped

Carphunter
11-05-2009, 11:57 AM
Just an update... got the stock done.

I like the look, but I did have some pull-off problems. I've got some ideas as to why (not so much the paint's issue... more things I did while prepping). It was de-oiled...but I put a first coat on the stock incorrectly (held can too far from stock...allowing paint to actually sort of dry before hitting stock...per aervoe, you have to shoot from 6-8 inches and i was probably further back). Well, I sanded off the rough surface of that finish...when I should have sanded hard down to plastic again, or stripped it with acetone. i think this poorly laid down layer is what allows subsequent spots to pull away.

I recoated the problem areas, and then hit the whole thing with a layer of clear

Here's a pic of how it looked with pull-offs, and then a pic of how it looks now, ready to fire.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/358camo2.jpg
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/savageflectar.jpg

montana_native
11-06-2009, 02:39 PM
how do those stocks wear if you are packing them over your shoulder for long hikes?

Thanks.

GaCop
11-07-2009, 06:40 AM
I use the same method as "southernfriedyankee", works great with Krylon camo colors and clear coat.