PDA

View Full Version : Savage 99: Scope base issues for my 99.

John Harris
04-09-2014, 05:56 PM
Another Newbie here with questions. I purchased a 1951 Savage 99 with a scope already mounted. Got an Old Redfield 2x-7x with the horizontal line and post and wanted to mount in existing rings. When I released the rear Weaver ring the scope sprang up and off the base by about 3/16". My question is where can I find prints of the radiuses of the rear mount area to 3D machine the proper surfaces to match the action. My NEW Leupold 1 piece base comes 0.200" above the action. Any help would be appreciated.

Mad Dog
04-09-2014, 08:59 PM
Is it a model R or an EG?

The R's would have been factory drilled in 51 but the EG's weren't drilled and tapped till 57. Just wondering if someone buggered it up, never heard of a one piece not fitting before unless it was drilled and tapped for a Williams scope base, they fit differently but if your holes are matching up chances are it wasn't for a Williams.

John Harris
04-10-2014, 07:25 PM
Mad Dog

Its not an "R"for sure. Serial #604155 with no letter designation. It honestly appears as though someone (Gunsmith or Apprentice, Non Factory) drilled and tapped it, i.e. no chamfering. The holes are spaced 1/2" apart both front and back. My real question is Where can I find the prints identifying the radiuses. I am a Tool Maker and have access to CNC 3D machining. Just trying to eliminate set-ups in the mill.

Guess I will just have to wing it the old-fashioned way. I'll figure it out. I'll post pictures once I get done. Waiting on Brownell's now.

sayak
04-12-2014, 01:45 PM
If you cant find the prints, can you make an epoxy female mold of your receiver area and work from there?

John Harris
04-15-2014, 07:21 PM
Sayak,

Thanks for responding. I have been making blocks with a radius in them to bring home to check on my 99 receiver. At this time the front of the receiver measures 1.25" in diameter but 1.150 seems to give the best match while 1.600" seems to match the rear of the receiver between the wood panels of the stock. Slow going but I am on the road. I will post pictures when I am done.

Mad Dog
04-16-2014, 08:39 AM
Between the wood panels would be where the tang sight screws are located?

Ever think of just going with a set of Stith mounts and saving yourself the headache?

jonbearman
04-17-2014, 08:46 AM
Are you sure they didnt accidentely put the rear block on the front and the front on the back.I believe the rear was taller.

John Harris
04-19-2014, 05:41 PM
Thanks again for responding Mad Dog and Jonbearman. It is nice to get others involved to solve this problem. As a Tool Maker I like to solve problems by making things myself. Just started this thread to see if I was not alone. Turns out that my rifle has a 3 degree forward angle at the tapped holes and the back portion where the screw holes are has a 5 degree rear slope. Re-checking since my last post I determined that the front diameter is 1.163" and the back is 1.625" diameter. Making good progress though. Got the three screw holes drilled and C'bored (2 in front and 1 at rear) and perpendicular slots milled to recess the rings.