PDA

View Full Version : Bedding a Bell and Carslon

badmutha6
04-09-2014, 11:39 AM
I have a Model 11 Hog Hunter in a Bell and Carlson Tactical Medalist (Full aluminum bedding block) that was recently CNCed and now has the CDI bottom metal and is torqued down to specs. Is there any benefit to bedding the stock or is it not really necessary?

badmutha6
04-09-2014, 05:36 PM
Did I ask the worlds dumbest question or something? I know its not necessary but recommended?

Maztech89
04-09-2014, 05:36 PM
You will get a few mixed answers on this I am sure. Some will say it cant hurt if done correctly, others will say no need with the bedding block. Me personally I would take some inletting dye and coat the action then carefully install in stock and torque bolts. Ive seen some that transfer the dye very nicely and others that just let a few little spots here and there. That will give you a better idea whether there is benefit or not for your two particular mating surfaces.

How do you like the stock so far? Im really wanting one to put a 260 build into some day, appears to be the most affordable dual purpose stock that looks like it would do decent in bags and also shoot nicely from prone?

badmutha6
04-09-2014, 05:50 PM
Thanks Maz, to be honest, I love that stock. What I got into it ($270ish plus another $270 for the inletting and bottom metal) I could have got either of the chassis systems from MDT (which may be an option in the future for a different build). Its been great so far and after getting it broken in, I'm still in load development. But thus far its really nice. Some guys have done some mods like an adjustable comb and taking the wings out of the foreend (http://forum.snipershide.com/snipers-hide-d-i-y/234428-bell-carlson-tactical-medalist-mcmillan-a5-my-stab-stock-modification.html) for a DIY project and I may end up doing an adjustable comb as well. Not that its that low but with an EGW rail and med rings its just a little tall. Shot it prone on a bipod and rear bag, without rear bag, off a bench on a rest and on a bipod and rear bag. I love it, one of the best purchases I've made. I unwittingly followed without any pre-knowledge but the budget build on 8541 Tactical.

short round
04-09-2014, 08:17 PM
Might want to see if tang has clearance between it & stock, if there is no free float the action may not come down into the bedding block correctly.

BillPa
04-09-2014, 08:50 PM
Did I ask the worlds dumbest question or something? I know its not necessary but recommended?

Nope, not a dumb question at all. I always do at least a shim coat bedding on blocks with Devcon F2. The reason? Actions vary in exterior dimensions. For example...
http://i39.tinypic.com/2uy1t6r.jpg

That was only a one spot, .003" under. Is hard telling what it might be an inch back or top to bottom or what the bridge measured. Another error might be the distance from the front action screw to the rear face of the recoil lug. Is the lug seating tight against the shoulder or does it have some clearance and the action screw playing recoil lug?

You can't assume a block ior even an inletted stock is going to be a match for the action your putting in it. It why I say you "Bed a stock to an action".

But it depends if igood'nuf is good'nuf.

Bill

badmutha6
10-13-2014, 11:45 AM
Just an update: I finally bedded the action with acraglass gel. I had a few problems prior with what I felt was the action torquing slightly to the left when torqued down to spec. I bedded it on Saturday night and I am pleased with the results. No more cant at all. Got a little more clean up to do on it and then it's game on. I bedded and supported the chamber with the rest of the barrel. The only thing I wish I had done was done a comparison on poi shift suppressed and unsuppressed with my can before and after bedding. I have an open country deer hunt coming up in November in the Texas panhandle on a ranch that is seeing a lot of hogs coming in. I was going to use my 110 in 243 like last year, but, I think I will be running the 308 despite it's weight. I can't wait!