PDA

View Full Version : Savage 10FP DBM Conversion

jimmy456
03-20-2010, 07:27 PM
Hello there,

I have a new Savage 10fp in 223 that I am looking to convert to DBM. CDI looks like the way I am going to go, I have the new style center-feed Savage. My question is what would I need to do to the factory stock to get this working. I will eventually buy a better stock, but I would rather have the DBM first. Thanks for your help.

pklin
03-21-2010, 12:11 AM
Send it to CDI and he will inlet your stock for you and install the DBM.

Although I would still suggest waiting for a bit and get a better stock (B&C maybe) before you pay to get the inlet done. The factory synthetic is not worth the trouble or the money.

jimmy456
03-21-2010, 12:21 PM
So if I do wait to get enough money for the stock I need to make sure of two things?
1. It is for the new center-feed savages.
2. It is already inletted for a DBM version savage.

Can anyone suggest one that does not cost an arm and a leg? And one that is not wood or laminate? Thanks a boatload guys, you guys have really steered me in the right directions in my purchases so far.

jimmy456
04-05-2010, 11:35 AM
So I think I have decided to go a different way. I found a website that offers the factory Savage parts to convert center feed to DBM.

http://www.hitechtactical.com/Savage-Detach-Magazine-Conversion-Kit.html

And I was going to use this stock:
http://www.combatstocks.com/Choate_TACTICAL_Stock_for_Savage_Short_Action_Deta chable_Mag_Centerfeed_Only.cfm

Will I have to do too much to the stock? Has anyone else done this conversion? If so did you have problems, or did it go smoothly?
Any help greatly appreciated.

DGD6MM
04-05-2010, 12:15 PM
My buddy had CDI build him bottom metal for his Medalist, when it was done he drove to the shopand had it inletted. I put his new Shilen on for him at the same time showing him how easy it is to work on these Savages. CDI did a perfect job and the rifle functions flawlessly. The jury is still out on those Choate's for me. I'll be in the process of building one in the near future and will more then likely use a B&C.

jimmy456
04-05-2010, 01:02 PM
From what I have heard Jeff at CDI does great work. His DBM is probably better than the stock Savage DBM. But his is $329, I can get a new stock and a DBM for a little more than that. Even if the Choate is not as good as the B&C, I believe it is still better than the stock the 10fp comes with. Correct me if I am wrong. Also, there would be the added cost of getting someone to inlet the stock for the CDI DBM. Whereas, the Savage DBM and the Choate stock seem to be more drop-in. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't have much of any area to work with or expertise to inlet a stock.

CL1KKL4C
04-05-2010, 07:46 PM
If you decided to go with the factory conversion Im certain you can get the required parts for much less than 125$ as offered at HiTechtactical.com I think Fred at SSS has the required hardware or you can actually call Savage directly and prolly get them for less than 100$ either place you go.

bama110
04-07-2010, 05:30 PM
I just sent two stocks to Jeff at CDI, His conversion uses AI mags Just like the DBM for Reminton. Jeff was very nice 205 for DBM, the 80 for mag and 60 to inlet. Still works out cheaper then a Badger on a Remington. I can not wait to get them back. FYI CDI has long and short action DBM Finally

DGD6MM
04-08-2010, 10:56 AM
That extended mag release is nice, no fumbling. The finish product is excellent. When I do mine, it will go to CDI.

jimmy456
04-10-2010, 12:54 AM
I called Savage and they said all I will need is the frame assembly, the 223 magazine and the action screws (as well as the stock that will fit it). Does this seem accurate? The price of $100 seems reasonable.

jpdown
04-10-2010, 02:05 AM
If you want an excellent synthetic stock, take a look at what Stockade Gunstocks has to offer. They can be made to accept a Savage CF DBM. You'll need to purchase a frame, DBM and stock bolts from Savage as stated above. You'll get an excellent stock. The Money Saver is a bargin if you're willing to do a little finish work and painting.

mopar440
04-10-2010, 03:21 AM
+1 for stockade