PDA

View Full Version : lightweight hunter in 270

03mossy
04-07-2014, 08:35 PM
Anybody here have one of these in a 270? Do you like it?

jonbearman
04-08-2014, 12:38 AM
If you like light rifles dont forget to get a muzzle brake because being so light it will recoil so much that you wont be able to see the hit through the scope.I had a 116 in a standard factory plastic stock and it recoiled so much ,I ended up restocking it to add weight.

jpdown
04-08-2014, 02:56 AM
I currently have a Savage 11 LWH in 260. It is my favorite carry rifle because it is compact, light and easy to handle in tight spots. I have also owned a Rem Model 7 260 and 308. The Savage LWH is more accurate than either Remington Model 7. My experience with light weight rifles and 20" barrels is that recoil and muzzle contol is harder to manage consistently if your goal is shooting sub 1" groups. I rebarreled to a Savage 22" factory sporter barrel in 260 which helped and only added about 6 oz of weight out front where it was needed. I only had to open up the LWH barrel channel a little at the forend tip to accomidate the factory sporter barrel. As you know, a Savage LWH in 270 with a 20" barrel is going to have more recoil, muzzle blast and velocity loss per inch with a 20" barrel. So if I got a Savage 111 LWH in 270, I would trade the 20" barrel for a 22" barrel. The overall rifle weight would still be less than a Savage 114 with the American Classic stock. And the Savage LWH already has a 1" Pachmyr Decelerator recoil pad installed to help tame the recoil.