PDA

View Full Version : New Guy with 10fp, 223, options

7stw
03-20-2010, 06:11 PM
Hello to all. New guy on the block, and happy to be here. Have been a remmie man most of my life but recently saw the LIGHT and bought a used but definetly not abused model 10fp, that is a pre accutriiger model in 223. It is the tactical model. The trigger is not all that bad, although I have looked about replacing with a sharpshooter trigger that I saw elsewhere. I have thoughts about maing this rifle a switch barrel, and at times it will become a 6x47 Lapua. I now that I need to get another bolt shroud, and to measure my firing pin, in order to get the correct bolt. I was just wondering if any of you "Savage Veterans" may have some suggestions or cautions. Additionally, I just ran across a BEAUTIFUL, model 12 VLP in .308 that I think that I simply must own. laminated stock, stainless fluted, with accutrigger. Used but as new. Anyway, any thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated. Thans in advance! 7STW

ellobo
03-20-2010, 07:15 PM
Go for it, you wont be sorry.

El Lobo

fatdaddy
03-20-2010, 07:26 PM
Well Hello 7tsw
I would get the comp. trigger from SSS, I have one and the difference is well worth the investment. Firing pin is adjustable if need be, you'll find instructions here if you use the search. You can get the bolt head and barrels from SSS too. Also at midway or the like... barrels, I buy from Jim who is northlander, a advertiser here. Devin or sinman here, sells fine barrels too and does gun smith work as well. He is rechambering (2) 223 barrels to ackley improved for me now... I really like mcgowan barrels, but I feel its going to be unusual to get a "bad" barrel in the $300 price range, most will easily shoot .5 moa if you can. If not careful, you will become completely addicted to barrel swapping. Maybe even start stashing barrels for future builds or just because...I'v seen it happen. Hi, My name is Bill and its been 16 days since I bought a barrel or action.....

7stw
03-28-2010, 06:21 AM
Well Hello 7tsw
I would get the comp. trigger from SSS, I have one and the difference is well worth the investment. Firing pin is adjustable if need be, you'll find instructions here if you use the search. You can get the bolt head and barrels from SSS too. Also at midway or the like... barrels, I buy from Jim who is northlander, a advertiser here. Devin or sinman here, sells fine barrels too and does gun smith work as well. He is rechambering (2) 223 barrels to ackley improved for me now... I really like mcgowan barrels, but I feel its going to be unusual to get a "bad" barrel in the $300 price range, most will easily shoot .5 moa if you can. If not careful, you will become completely addicted to barrel swapping. Maybe even start stashing barrels for future builds or just because...I'v seen it happen. Hi, My name is Bill and its been 16 days since I bought a barrel or action.....
fatdaddy, you're ailment must be contagious, even over the internet. I have got the switch barrel bug, and a fever of a hundred and two. This model 10 fp simply amazes me, and I am starting to understand all the ins and outs of the "swapping" process, and all the variables and the do's and don'ts. I really lucked out on this purchase. Turns out this gun was never fired, but I bought it as used, in as new condition for used price. This barrell is very consistent when running a tight patch down the bore. No tight or loose spots, and smooooooth from breach to muzzle. My name is Bob, pleased to chat with ya'. 7STW. AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL :)