PDA

View Full Version : Thought on loading for a .308 hog hunter?

firehunt77
04-07-2014, 08:18 PM
Does anyone shoot a hog hunter in a .308? If so, what are you loading for it? Just bought one and I'm interested in what folks have to say about it. I will be using it mostly for hog and deer hunting. I might use it to go after some coyotes too. Any info would be great. Thanks!

the Ranger
04-07-2014, 11:35 PM
i don't don't have an HH, but the Hornady 150gr SST over Varget has worked great on deer out of my .308.

Silvercrow1
04-08-2014, 12:06 AM
Hi Firehunt and Welcome! I bought a HogHunter in .308 a few months ago and have a couple of loads that preform excellently in my gun. Of course I am sure you know, even though we have the same gun there may / will be variences that will cause you to have to tweak loads for your gun, shooting conditions, etc. I always appreciated hearing what others have found effective though and am glad to share. NONE of my loads are close to maxing out, but please use your loading manuals and respect max load figures etc.

I LOVE this gun! It shoots well- VERY accurate and I've got it modded to my liking. Nothing too fancy; A2 flash hider mostly to protect the threads / asthetics reasons; Boyds Varmint Thumbhole stock in "pepper color"; Nikon Buckmasters 6-18x40 Nikoplex scope on EGW 0 MOA base with Burris Signature Zee rings. Harris Bipod- 9-13" non-swivel type.

Loads that are working well for me / my gun:

155 Gn. Hornady AMAX bullet, 44.0 Gns. Varget powder, Lapua brass, CCI large rifle primer, 2.800" C.O.A.L. three rounds @ 100 yards- .1330" CTC , five rounds @ 100 yards-.2535" CTC

130 Gn. Speer HP bullet, 44.5 Gns. H335 powder, Lapua brass, Winchester large rifle Mag. primer, 2.615" C.O.A.L., three rounds @ 100 yards- .2615" CTC

Shot the 155 Hornady AMAX / Varget combo. as above at 200 yards for the first time a couple of weeks ago; five rounds @ .8040" I think the load will do better, (I think I NEED to do better) but still sub MOA at 200 yards.

I just got some 165 Gn. Nosler ballistic tips and will be developing loads for that bullet using Varget and H335 in the near future.

Hope this helped some. As you can see I haven't done extensive reloading for this gun yet.

Best wishes and let us know how you're making out!
Brian

firehunt77
04-08-2014, 02:07 PM
Thanks guys! I look forward to shooting this gun and reloading for it. All the info is greatly appreciated.